Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Masmano
Masmano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Paperwhite: June 2013...

and still the same problems.
I got 5 replacements, all different, all defective:

Green/pink blotches, bright spots, light bleed.

[link to vulgar content deleted]

Last edited by HarryT; 06-05-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Masmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Do not use the language of the gutter on MobileRead. We expect politeness from our members at all times.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
As a former president of the US said in 1992 "I feel your pain." The problem is that every time you get a replacement its sort of like randomly throwing a dice around a monopoly board, some times you get a dud and sometimes you get a good one, you seem to be getting all the duds. There is something called the Law of Averages, that says that if the event is truly random (and in this case it is) you will eventually come up with a good one. I know the word eventually is sort of like cold comfort but you will get a good one, its the law.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Like the others have said it's not personal unless you make it so. I got lucky twice in a row. 1st by winning a PW in the winter contest and then by it being a good one. Either variable could have been different. I could have failed to win one or I could have gotten one of the duds and needed to exchange it. I was just lucky, as you were unlucky. Don't let it get you down. Your luck will change in time.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
yolan
Connoisseur
yolan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & Kindle PW
Am I lucky?

First attempt... and mine looks good, or maybe my eyes aren't as sensitive as others' to the referred defects.
yolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolan View Post
First attempt... and mine looks good, or maybe my eyes aren't as sensitive as others' to the referred defects.
I think this is a good reason that would maybe be a cause of the issue. Some people just have a lot more sensitive eyes than others.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My first kindle, a three had trouble all along with the power switch and finally died a hard death after a little over a year. I searched these boards and found that its not systemic to Kindles so I tried again, my second is a nine month old Paperwhite and works great
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
indiaink
sic vita est
indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KK, PW
I am to receive my new PW today ... and after getting caught up with this forum again after being away for a while (I hadn't been here since my first Kindle purchase years ago) I am a bit concerned about what it will look like. I had NO CONCERNS until I read all the posts about the PW here. I hate having my previously excited thoughts stomped on. I was very excited after I handled a demo PW that looked great - I had no idea that it could look like anything else. Drat. On the other hand, thanks for the warning.
indiaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My advice to you, when you receive your PW, would be "don't look for problems". If you go into a dark room, turn the PW's light up to its maximum brightness, and look for screen discolourations, you're going to find them. Judge it in the circumstances in which you actually use it, not at extremes.

Hope you enjoy your PW.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
indiaink
sic vita est
indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My advice to you, when you receive your PW, would be "don't look for problems". If you go into a dark room, turn the PW's light up to its maximum brightness, and look for screen discolourations, you're going to find them. Judge it in the circumstances in which you actually use it, not at extremes.

Hope you enjoy your PW.
Thank you, Harry. I do, too. It really is a marvelous thing. Like many of you here, I am a who doesn't care how the content gets into my head, having realized a long time ago that a book doesn't have to be a thing made out of paper and glue.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
indiaink
sic vita est

OK, my PW is perfect. I am so pleased; this is truly a Wonder Device. Color me happy.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
bokolobs
Enthusiast
bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: NST, DX, PW1, Voyage, Oasis (1 week), Kobo Aura One (1 week)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaink View Post
OK, my PW is perfect. I am so pleased; this is truly a Wonder Device. Color me happy.
Congratulations on your new Paperwhite. I had the same concerns when I purchased mine. I even asked my friends who have Paperwhites to photograph theirs at maximum light setting in darkness and send them to me to compare. In retrospect, I was being nut. As HarryT said, most will be just fine in normal reading conditions.
bokolobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokolobs View Post
I even asked my friends who have Paperwhites to photograph theirs at maximum light setting in darkness and send them to me to compare.
Do you use your PW at maximum brightness in darkness?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you use your PW at maximum brightness in darkness?
You are making him nervous. Bad, bad, bad.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Not at all. I was merely wondering why anyone would care what it looked like in conditions that you don't actually use it in.