Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #31
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Just a note about safes. If you have a fireproof safe or are thinking of buying one, make sure it's specifically designed for computer media because it's still very possible to totally destroy* the data on a HDD that's kept in a normal (non-media) fireproof safe _without_ going over the design specs of the safe or destroying something like your diary/notebooks that are kept in there too.

* you might be able to get the data back, but it'd probably cost a fortune.

Last edited by JoeD; 03-11-2013 at 07:34 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #32
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It is critical that your backup be offsite so that your data is protected in case of fire, flood, theft, etc.

I use an online service called Crashplan for this. About $14 per month and I can back up unlimited computers in my household.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #33
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Just a note about safes. If you have a fireproof safe or are thinking of buying one, make sure it's specifically designed for computer media because it's still very possible to totally destroy* the data on a HDD that's kept in a normal (non-media) fireproof safe _without_ going over the design specs of the safe or destroying something like your diary/notebooks that are kept in there too.

thanks I will look into that.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Thanks for the tip about Synctoy. Will it work to mirror two 1 Terrabyte drives to a single 2 Terrabyte drive? Obviously, these are not all ebooks.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Thanks for the tip about Synctoy. Will it work to mirror two 1 Terrabyte drives to a single 2 Terrabyte drive? Obviously, these are not all ebooks.
Yes, no problem at all. Just create two folders on the 2TB drive, and set each mirror operation to use a different one of the folders as its destination.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #36
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Everything I have fits on a 4 GB thumb drive.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #37
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I have some experience with data recovery. You're an optomist, thinking it will only cost one fortune. (Typical recover for a failed hard drive is $500-$1500 per drive. Recovering data from a drive that was in a fire would not be typical.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #38
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I have some experience with data recovery. You're an optomist, thinking it will only cost one fortune. (Typical recover for a failed hard drive is $500-$1500 per drive. Recovering data from a drive that was in a fire would not be typical.)
Without doubt.

I just wanted to avoid saying it wouldn't be possible at all to preempt the inevitable response that shows a hdd been recovered for an excessive cost outside anything an average person would be willing (or even able) to pay to recover even something as meaningful as their wedding photos/video.

When I say fortune, think big
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #39
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
My off-site storage is a hidey-hole in my truck where I replace a couple of large capacity updated thumb drives every few weeks or so. It's free and unlikely that both my home and my truck would be destroyed or robbed at the same time. I also have a storage unit rented for other purposes, but not quite as easily accessible, where I keep a backup.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
My off-site storage is a hidey-hole in my truck where I replace a couple of large capacity updated thumb drives every few weeks or so. It's free and unlikely that both my home and my truck would be destroyed or robbed at the same time. I also have a storage unit rented for other purposes, but not quite as easily accessible, where I keep a backup.
Ah, the classic hidey-hole in the truck off-site storage method.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #41
mobilelover
Enthusiast
mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
yes you can upload the important data on cloud but uploading 1TB of data will take a lot of time also who will provide you free hosting of that data, I am not sure if google drive or Microsoft sky drive gives it for free check it it out. Yes buying another hard drive to create a secondary backup is a great option.
mobilelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #42
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Back ups of all sorts are a snack these days. Just make sure you try a restore before you actually rely on it. Some back up programs work really well to back up and then become your worst nightmare when it's time to retrieve the data.
......and for Mac users, the built in Time Machine works efficiently and restoring files is a breeze. I have two external drives and rotate them between the Mac at work and the one at home so there's always an off site one for both machines.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #43
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Everything I have fits on a 4 GB thumb drive.
Don't have a lot of pictures or music on your hdd, eh?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
My backup drives make me anxious. I dropped one the other day, but it was on carpet and it seems to be fine. Another one I have to jiggle the cord to get it working properly (it's dying, I think). I just bought another one last week on sale but haven't tried it yet.

I should probably think about using one of the clouds.

I'd mostly miss my books...and pictures...and music.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #45
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelover View Post
yes you can upload the important data on cloud but uploading 1TB of data will take a lot of time also who will provide you free hosting of that data, I am not sure if google drive or Microsoft sky drive gives it for free check it it out. Yes buying another hard drive to create a secondary backup is a great option.
Well, Crashplan is very cheap for unlimited data to one computer.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote