Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
mh445
Enthusiast
mh445 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Change Tags without Import into Library

Hi,

I am looking for a way to edit the tags on files that are only in the main memory of the device.

The current way is a little bit too cumbersome. a) import to library b) erase from device c) edit tags in library d) export to device e) delete from library

I have a Sony PRS-350, so strictly speaking I am talking about editing collections.

Thanks
mh445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
mh445
Enthusiast

Change Tags without Import into Library

This thread was moved to "Devices". Is this issue really device-dependent? Shouldn't adding tags work the same on all devices?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Personally, I would bite the bullet and load them into calibre and do the work there. But, I wouldn't removed them from calibre afterwards.

If you can access the device as a drive, you could use Sigil to edit the epub. This has an editor for the metadata.

Hmm, a search found EPUB Metadata Editor. That looks like what you want. Beyond the fact that it exists, I don't know anything about it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
mh445
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, the collections of the reader (= tags in calibre) are NOT part of the epub metadata included in the epub, but some configuration file that the reader and calibre are able to modify.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
switch to the device view and double click on the entries you want to change in the collections column.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
mh445
Enthusiast

That is great. Although it is VERY hard to find. Double clicking normally opens the document. I have to right-click and - the menu still open - double click in order to edit. (Ubuntu 12.04 with Calibre 0.8.38)

I would love a "edit multiple" (select multiple, add them to a single collection).

BTW: I just saw why I should import all my books to Calibre. I changed an collection and unplugged my device without ejecting it. I got an error message on the device saying something about faulty internal memory. OK brought a "Formatting intermal memory ...". And then, everything was gone. Not even the chance to repair something. Luckily I imported almost everything into Calibre just yesterday.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh445 View Post
I have a Sony PRS-350, so strictly speaking I am talking about editing collections.
The 350 is one of the devices that calibre integrates best with. I do all of my books in calibre. Under Preferences - Adding books to devices I have Metadata management set to Automatic management. Any time I hook up my device metadata is updated on the reader. Collections based on tags and series are all updated. It doesn't get any easier than this.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
mh445
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for that useful tip. However, I think it does not really apply to the problem I described in the first post.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh445 View Post
Thanks a lot for that useful tip. However, I think it does not really apply to the problem I described in the first post.
Then this THREAD does not apply to Calibre as you refuse to use it outside your tiny, narrow scope of use.
Let us close this thread
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote