Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
HopelessManu
HopelessManu began at the beginning.

Device: none
from PDF to ePub

Hi there!
I would like to know if nowadays there's a better tool for converting PDF to ePub format than Calibre.
Using Calibre to me means starting from scratch with CSS and many, many other things.
Please help soon!

Thanks
HopelessManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't know of a better tool. Yes, it has severe limitations, but that's because you're working against the grain. PDF was meant as an output format, it wasn't meant to be an input format for converting to others.

But I'm confused by "Using Calibre to me means starting from scratch with CSS and many, many other things." That seems to suggest that you had created a CSS file to begin with. Surely if you have access to the source files for the document, you're much better off using those to create your ePub, and not using PDF as an intermediary.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
HopelessManu
HopelessManu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I don't know of a better tool. Yes, it has severe limitations, but that's because you're working against the grain. PDF was meant as an output format, it wasn't meant to be an input format for converting to others.

But I'm confused by "Using Calibre to me means starting from scratch with CSS and many, many other things." That seems to suggest that you had created a CSS file to begin with. Surely if you have access to the source files for the document, you're much better off using those to create your ePub, and not using PDF as an intermediary.
No, I have no access to the source document. I just meant that, since Calibre makes a mess with headings, images, italic/bold and so on, I have to obtain them again preparing a new CSS.
Still no breakthrough discovery, then?
HopelessManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
For PDF's I always start with Mobipocket Creator to convert to HTML. In my experience that produces the best results. Then you can use Sigil to make your ePub.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
Hi Manu,

Try pdfreflow to create an HTML from your PDF. Then you can use Calibre to convert the HTML file into an epub.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
yiyi001
Banned
yiyi001 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have a same problem about converting PDF to Epub.
Does Calibre support my Mac OS?Or anyone have other recommendation for PDF Converter for Mac?
yiyi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Pliz help convert PDF to anything that'll go on my Sony ?

Newie-ish and tech-idiot here ( well, relatively, I can turn it on and download things to my PC ) so please be gentle with me...........

I have downloaded my first PDF ebook to my PC . ( The Judas Tree)

Could some kind soul tell me how to get it onto my PRS650 ?
( Imagine how you'd tell a 7 year old , and that'd probably be about right ! )

I have Calibre installed ( not used it yet-I don't think ), Adobe Digital, and the normal Sony thingy. Haven't had to do anything heroic yet, as all's gone, more or less, easily from PC to reader.
I have the feeling this is going to be my first major challenge - and the child away at university, too, my usual tech-interpreter !

I am on yo mercy, one and all.
(Just to say I have read various threads / posts, but feel I need to start from scratch, hopefully without relying on assumed knowledge I actually don't have !)

Last edited by carpetmojo; 03-02-2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Missed a bit.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Ummm...................

Hey - I thought I'd have a bash - could I really do any lasting damage to the world and me ?

So-o-o.........I d/loaded a PDF (Judas Tree), connected PRS, opened my Caibre, opened d/load, hit it "Open containing folder", dragged that over to Calibre Library, watched the pinwheel go round....................and that was that, there it was on the reader !

Is that really all there was ?!
Or was I just lucky?

The text is fine ('specially now I've done the saturation custom tickle, brilliant), all there, and I'm so chuffed.

Does that mean the only thing I have to tackle now is DRM ?
Think I'll bask a bit afore I attempt any of that lark !!

Last edited by carpetmojo; 03-02-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Missed a bit...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
sinasan
sinasan began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
If you have Adobe Acrobat, you can export to HTML, and then convert that to ePub as well.
Just realize that it isn't always an easy conversion, and may require a bit of cleanup.
What's more, you can follow this PDF Converter Reviews, which includes many article about transfering PDF to other farmats on PC or Mac.
Good luck!
sinasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
I have been pretty impressed by Mobipocket Creator. Convert to mobi then use Calibre to convert mobi to epub
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Artha
-----
Artha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE65
Calibre is, in my experience, a bad tool, especially for this kind of a job. Sure, the fan boys will bash everything in their way and it happened to read around here at least a couple of times that the fault is with the document at hand and not the bad converter.

My solution is to use Abbyy Finereader. It's quite cheap compared with the Adobe pack and it does a wonderful job of reading even old Xerox machine quality docs. But Abbyy is bad at outputting stuff. So the latest version (11) can save as epub, but it would be filled with mistakes. One way it would be to help it by going through the style editor. Another way would be to fire Sigil and fix it there. With some basic knowledge of HTML you can solve those issues fast.
Artha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #12
milkweed
milkweed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How well do these conversions work with image heavy PDF's?
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #13
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
ePub wasn't designed for photo albums or really anything with more than one column. Chances are that the pictures will split across pages, especially if someone decides to use a different font (or font size).
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
milkweed
milkweed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
ePub wasn't designed for photo albums or really anything with more than one column. Chances are that the pictures will split across pages, especially if someone decides to use a different font (or font size).
Suggestion on a program that would work then? These are how-to books I wrote back in the dark ages and they are PDF files. I tried converting them to word documents and it looked terrible. I wrote the books originally using InDesign, I still have those files.

Kimberly

Last edited by milkweed; 12-26-2011 at 02:15 PM.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Then fire up InDesign and go from there. Either export to ePub or at least to HTML if you have an older version and use Sigil to turn it into an ePub.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote