Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
kentchan
kentchan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
eBook, eMagazine provided by different provider

Hi all,

I am suddenly get interest into ebook while iPad launch months ago. I compete these 2 device and found eBook may good for me, I am not a frequent book reader, but eBook make me reading more comfortable.

While I am searching for contents for ebooks, and found only Amazon and N&B have provide more choice and they providing different kind / brand of ebooks and e-magazine.

I wanna know if I buy a Kindle, can I read the ebook I buy from N&B or vice versa ?

If I want to buy a ebook from N&B, I have to use Nook while I buy a ebook from Amazon, I need a Kindle, right?

It seem the cost of a ebook is not cheap, and first time investment (Kindle and Nook) is real expensive...

Sorry but I am very new to ebook topic and interest to know how people manage this conflict.

Thank you very much
Kent
kentchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Welcome to the forum, Kent.

This is a problem - most books purchased from Amazon will have their Digital Rights Management (DRM) applied, which prevents copying, but also use outside a Kindle application. B&N use their own, different, DRM.

Some people strip the DRM from their files, allowing them to change the format, and protecting them from future problems. Others are uncomfortable with this due to technical issues or legal ones.

Most people agree that it's a pain!

Amazon have a Kindle application available on many platforms, so that will allow you to read Kindle content on an iPad/iPod/iPhone, Android phone, PC and Mac.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
kentchan
kentchan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Agreed that, anyway, I still not yet give up to use ebook that's why I ordered my Kindle.

But to have content for ebook like books and magazines , I can see there are huge barriers out there even though in a modern US. I am in Hong Kong and ebook seems to be very hot, but only on hardware, people here cannot aware contents is the most important.

We have some magazines which are great but they never in ebook format like National Geographic and Scientist, even Amazon or N&B can't make it

I am hoping more publishers to produce more ebook and mag for eBook users!!!

kentchan is offline   Reply With Quote