Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Will Sony Epubs only work on Sony?

Being that it's Adobe did Sony make it only for their device, or if I bought another device that reads epubs, could I use that content on other devices too?

Thanks.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
Being that it's Adobe did Sony make it only for their device, or if I bought another device that reads epubs, could I use that content on other devices too?

Thanks.
As long as you buy a device that supports the Adobe DRM, which is most of the popular ones these days, then yes you can read your Sony purchased ebooks on them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Thanks for the reply....so it would work on the Nook or the ipad?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply....so it would work on the Nook or the ipad?
Nook... should be a yes.

iPad... I think there is an app that support Adobe DRM. I think maybe the Kobo app and the forth coming B&N app. But, you might want to look around the apple section to double check.

BOb
Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nook - Yes. iPad - No.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Andrasz
Andrasz began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Have you got an iPad? What do you think of it?
Andrasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrasz View Post
Have you got an iPad? What do you think of it?
I don't think anyone can have them until April 3. Unless you are a pretty major reviewer.

BOb
Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

I have one reserved at the store. I'm on the fence now.....

I know it's been beaten to death but I bought A LOT of books on paperback. I re-purchased some of those books electronically for my device. If I get another device I do not want to purchase the same exact content a 3rd time, that would be a waste. I get really annoyed that I am basically being punished for what those that illegally share their files do

I want the content that I legally purchased to carry over from 1 device to another......there's got to be some way. Now if this content would work on a Nook, and Ipad has the Nook software.....that wouldn't work on the ipad?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I want the content that I legally purchased to carry over from 1 device to another......there's got to be some way. Now if this content would work on a Nook, and Ipad has the Nook software.....that wouldn't work on the ipad?
It might. I know we have discussed this before and I was pretty sure there were some iPhone users that were reading Adobe DRMed ebooks on their device. I thought the app used was the Kobo books app.

Then again, there is the liberate the books route.

BOb
Old 03-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Bogey
Bogey began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500, DR800SG
Sony epub books work fine on the iRex DR800SG (via. usb xfer) so long as the Adobe Reader (ADE) on the Pc and iRex id/pwd match.
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
This one is easy. Sony ePubs can be easily decrypted, and Stanza runs on the iPad. Stanza also opens ePubs. If no DRM enabled ePub reader comes out for the iPad, just decrypt it. It's generally a good thing to do anyway. What happens if you loose access to your account for some reason? You should always keep access to content you've purchased.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I know we have discussed this before and I was pretty sure there were some iPhone users that were reading Adobe DRMed ebooks on their device. I thought the app used was the Kobo books app.
The txtr iPhone app uses mobile Adobe Digital Editions, and so can read Sony ePubs.

Kobo lets you download an Adobe ePub version of any ebook you buy from them, but its iPhone app uses a proprietary format and won't read Adobe ePubs from other ebook stores.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The txtr iPhone app uses mobile Adobe Digital Editions, and so can read Sony ePubs.

Kobo lets you download an Adobe ePub version of any ebook you buy from them, but its iPhone app uses a proprietary format and won't read Adobe ePubs from other ebook stores.
Ah thanks... I knew there was at least one app. I expect there will be more eventually.

BOb
Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nook - Yes. iPad - No.
nook yes, iPad maybe. The txtr app that works on the iPhone & iPod Touch might work on the iPad or be updated. It does support Adept DRM. But unfortunately, not the time limited version of Adept.

But if you strip off the DRM, then yes it will work with iBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

This is great to know.....I'm thinking I will download it tonight to my Ipod Touch to see how it works. Still want to "free" my books though....