Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Looking for an eReader for my mom

I'm looking to purchase a reader for my mom. She will mostly be taking books out through the library. Our library only loans out books in ePub format.

I'm just not sure which one to get her. I already have a kindle - which she likes, but it can't read ePub. I'm also looking to spend about $200.00. So far I've looked at the Sony Pocket, but I was curious if anyone had any other recommendations.

Thanks!!

Kat
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hello yankgirl.
Just a few hours ago I ordered the pocketbook 360 for my mum.
The Sony Pocket is a good device, but she really wanted a dictionary and search function too.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Hello yankgirl.
Just a few hours ago I ordered the pocketbook 360 for my mum.
The Sony Pocket is a good device, but she really wanted a dictionary and search function too.
I like that, but it's a bit out of our price range. The dictionary doesn't matter to her.

Now I was checking out the Libre...oy, so many choices!!
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
I can't recommend the Sony Pocket enough.

I bought one for my mother and she loves it. The battery life is superb, the feel of the thing is fantastic, it's built like a tank and the controls are easy to grasp.

If you want a barebones Reader, I would recommend this over any. It is very barebones, though.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Pocketbook 301)))
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before you decide which reader to get your mom, you need to decide if she'd be better off with a 6" screen instead of a smaller 5" screen. My mom has a Sony Reader PRS-600 and it's a 6 screen and I think that's a much better fit for her then a 5" screen. Personally, I think a 5" screen may be too small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For ~$200 the best value for the money in EInk readers is the EZ Reader Pocket Pro. Even if you don't care about most of its extra features, it has a more recent version of mobile Adobe Digital Editions than the Sony PRS-300 and 9 (vs 3) font sizes. It also comes with a cover, and you definitely need one.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
I'm looking to purchase a reader for my mom. She will mostly be taking books out through the library. Our library only loans out books in ePub format.

I'm just not sure which one to get her. I already have a kindle - which she likes, but it can't read ePub. I'm also looking to spend about $200.00. So far I've looked at the Sony Pocket, but I was curious if anyone had any other recommendations.
Before you buy anything, check with the library and see which specific devices they support. Most library loan systems are tailored to Sony devices and to a few PDA-based readers. You'd feel really silly if you bought a device the library doesn't support. If the library is supported by Overdrive, Sony is probably your best choice. I don't know about other suppliers.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I think a 5" screen may be too small.
Jon, you have never liked the 5inch screen. Although most that have both a 5inch and 6inch device say there is little difference.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
For that price range I would say the Sony Pocket that you have looked at or the Astak Pocket Pro.

BOb
Old 03-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Jon, you have never liked the 5inch screen. Although most that have both a 5inch and 6inch device say there is little difference.

BOb
But in this case the reader may be elderly person. So in that case, bigger is better.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But in this case the reader may be elderly person. So in that case, bigger is better.
Good point... in this case I highly recommend the Kindle DX... if only it read ePub...

BOb
Old 03-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Good point... in this case I highly recommend the Kindle DX... if only it read ePub...

BOb
Maybe an iRex 800 with the 8" screen since it should allow borrowing library eBooks.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Has she just looked at your Kindle, or has she read books on it? If she hasn't read a complete book yet on it, I would say loan it to her, let her read a complete book and find out if she likes that screen size, which font size she prefers, which control locations would be preferable, if she likes the flashing during page changes (otherwise she might like one with a reflective LCD screen which has seamless page changes).

And the suggestion made earlier regarding which readers the library recommends is a good one.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
About library books... If a reader supports ADE drm, is it possible that you still cannot borrow epub books from a library? I thought all readers that can read drm epub can borrow books.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote