Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Anyone in the US/Canada receive an invitation?

Quote:
iRex shop opens to US customers in July: iRex Technologies have recently received the electronics approvation to ship goods to US and Canada. In fact the iRex Shop will be taking orders from selected business to business customers by July 1st.
from Alex, in this thread.

Since it is now the morning of June 29, and we have less than two business days before July 1st, I am curious to know whether US/Canada invites have started. If you have received one, could you please post that you did? If you could include when you got it, and whether you ordered, and if so what your order number is etc, this would be of significant interest to us in the US/Canada.

I have been keeping my eye on the currency pull down of the iRexshop and haven't see anything except Euros, so perhaps this indicates a delay.
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well...they did state that they will open for orders for the US from the 1st of July...so that would be saturday...I guess you'll have to wait at least another 2 days...probably till Monday.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Well...they did state that they will open for orders for the US from the 1st of July...so that would be saturday...I guess you'll have to wait at least another 2 days...probably till Monday.
Usually doing something 'by a certain date' means on that day, or before (at least that is what my bosses think...).

I am sure you are right, but then they are really doing it by July 3rd.

As an aside, launching during the July 4th weekend in the US - not great timing...
Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverbogler
from Alex, in this thread.

Since it is now the morning of June 29, and we have less than two business days before July 1st, I am curious to know whether US/Canada invites have started. If you have received one, could you please post that you did? If you could include when you got it, and whether you ordered, and if so what your order number is etc, this would be of significant interest to us in the US/Canada.

I have been keeping my eye on the currency pull down of the iRexshop and haven't see anything except Euros, so perhaps this indicates a delay.
Since they initially claim they want b2b customers, the currency options may not immediately change.

I travel a lot. If you want to buy something in Euros from the US it shoudn't be a big deal - although if you don't buy things in alternate currencies you might want to give a heads up to Visa or whoever you use. Money is money.

Easy exhange rate info can be found at www.oanda.com - US/Euro conversion for interbank rates is on the front page. Use the drop down menu to get the estimated credit card rate.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
I travel a lot. If you want to buy something in Euros from the US it shoudn't be a big deal - although if you don't buy things in alternate currencies you might want to give a heads up to Visa or whoever you use. Money is money.
Yes - that is correct, of course.

But since they have the pull down menu on the shop site for different currencies, it suggests that they plan on offering pricing in more than Euros, but have not yet implented it.

Anyway, another thread suggests that they are busy getting the Visa billing issue resolved, rather than opening the US store... one problem at a time, perhaps.
Advert
Old 06-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
They might be intending to implement that for general release...

But your right if they don't intend to have payment in other currencies yet, why have the drop down.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
They might be intending to implement that for general release...

But your right if they don't intend to have payment in other currencies yet, why have the drop down.
Because they have always been a big tease.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

I guess not by July 1st...

Well, the close of business has passed in Europe, and not a sign of a US release by the July 1st, self-imposed, deadline...
Old 06-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
I would expect that a US release date would be denoted for US, not European, timezones. I would check back Monday, 7/2.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70
I would expect that a US release date would be denoted for US, not European, timezones. I would check back Monday, 7/2.
Really - you think that iRex has an independent US operation? Jeff, their US rep, doesn't even have an email with @irextechnologies.com.

I would be very surprised if all sales aren't managed through the same webstore, run by people in Eindhoven, and so I think it is unlikely they'll send invites or open outside of business hours there.

This also makes it more likely that we'll see a July 3 opening - there isn't much business being done here in American on July 3rd.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Irex has one more site - www.iliad.nl (Dit domein wacht op de grote doorbraak) - "This field waits for the large opening". <babelfish translated>
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
UPDATE - SHIPPING OF ORDERS WILL BEGIN JULY 3rd
https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...80bc82e24efc11
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
That assumes someone has an invite with which to order Takir :-P
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #14
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
How the magic works

OK - just to recap and see if I got this straight...

In order to be able to order an Iliad from the US as a non-business person,
one needs to

- leave an email address at the "request info" spot on the Irex website and
- wait for the whole "sales to the US" thing to kick in next week, at which point one will receive an invitation to order.

Is that right? Or do I actually need to pretend that I'm some sort of business representative or programmer? And have an official-looking address?
Yes, I'll cheat and lie and be all-round morally questionable...

'cause I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this thing for my summer vacation ... REALLY.
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
well...you can try cheating, but it probably won't work.
Dropping them a note, saying you're a mobilereader and would like to buy the device despite the fact that it's not ready yet might work...but there is no guarantee.

I have no idea how they decide who gets invited and when...seems a bit random with some private persons included while some business customers get left out...

does anyone acutally understand iRex' system?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote