Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast
daniel_hokkaido began at the beginning.

Device: sonyprs 505, pocketbook pro 603
Backing up books on the SD card

Hi,

I have tried to backup all my books on my sd card. I created a new folder on it and, not using calibre, dragged and dropped all the calibre files into it.
But my player still sees the books though and it slows it down on startup. The backedup books don't show in collections but in browsing by author or title my player now shows two of everything.

I would like to use my sd card as a backup so if something happens to the player i will still have the books. I will be backpacking all next year you see.

thanks,
Dan.
daniel_hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The reader will automatically search any card that's inserted for file types it recognizes. The only way to use it as a back up of what's on your reader is to not insert it in your reader.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If you really want the books backed up on the SD card in the reader, you could zip or compress them first. I'd guess that the reader won't see the files as ones it can recognize if they are zipped.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast

very good idea. thanks.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let us know if compressing the files works out for you.
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hokkaido View Post
Hi,

I have tried to backup all my books on my sd card. I created a new folder on it and, not using calibre, dragged and dropped all the calibre files into it.
But my player still sees the books though and it slows it down on startup. The backedup books don't show in collections but in browsing by author or title my player now shows two of everything.

I would like to use my sd card as a backup so if something happens to the player i will still have the books. I will be backpacking all next year you see.

thanks,
Dan.
If the card is in your Reader, then it will search for those titles.

For backup, you should duplicate your material and put it away somewhere. Use the media of your choice:

1) Take the card out of your Reader and put it in a safe place.

2) Burn a CD/DVD as backup and put it in a safe place.

Unrelated issue:

If you use your card as a place to put books you want to read, and put that card in your Reader, and if the card contains a LOT of books - THEN your Reader will slow down quite a lot.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast

it worked. I rar'd the books (400mb) and put it on my duo card. No problems. The reader does not see it and it does not seem to slow it down at all. So now i can use it for backup in case of emergency, quick transfer of books to my pc, and not have to buy another dedicated card for backup. sweet.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
allon_pan
allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505
you may want to backup the cache.xml as well because it saved all "formating" info, otherwise you would have to retransfer all your books via sony ebook library.
allon_pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:49 AM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hokkaido View Post
it worked. I rar'd the books (400mb) and put it on my duo card. No problems. The reader does not see it and it does not seem to slow it down at all. So now i can use it for backup in case of emergency, quick transfer of books to my pc, and not have to buy another dedicated card for backup. sweet.
Yay! Glad I could help.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #10
palm1
palm1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
... and regularly sync your device with backup folder

I was also curious about a complete backup for my PRS-650 (in case of emergency). Up to now, I use a folder on my HDD and sync the device with this folder using SyncToy (you can "synchronize", "echo" or "contribute", I use "echo", i.e. new and updated files are copied from the Reader to the backup folder, renames and deletes are repeated. So, if I copy this emergency backup folder to an SD card, I either have to zip or rar my HDD backup folder or just don't insert the card into the reader, right? Thanks a lot.
Übersetzer russisch
palm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
palm1
You don't have to backup anything besides your books/pictures/music (unless you want to save position in the book / collections / bookmarks). All system files (cache.xml etc) are automatically recreated, as needed.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
palm1
palm1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
thx

thanks, kartu
palm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I took a different route. I use the Reader software on my laptop and I have an SD card sitting in my card slot of the laptop. I formatted the card (simply by inserting it in the PRS950 first and copying one book over). So now the Reader software sees the card as one more compatible device. I drag all my books/periodicals/PDFs from the PRS950 to the card (PRS950 connected via USB, card in slot). That way, the card has a complete backup, but I don't keep it in my PRS950 (I mean, would it not be wise to have the backup not IN the device? What happens if the device gets lost, or stolen? The backup is lost/stolen as well?

Yet, if need be, I can pop the card out of the laptop and throw it into the PRS950, to access all the backed up files, or I can simply re-transfer them over to the PRS950 using the Reader software.

I guess every one has their own needs... and backing up this thing is a bit more complex than it should be... but I found this system to work for me and I figured I would share it...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote