Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have Kindles. I like them. I won't get any new Sony unless I know for a fact the stock fonts work properly, and one can add custom fonts. I have added custom fonts to my Kindles, and that's what I am looking forward to on the Kobo. If I like the Kobo better than the T1, the T1 will be out of here.
Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I don't like Kindle. I do, I have a few. I just don't want Kindle becomes the only player. (Rumors about Nook were not encouraging; Sony puts ereader business on autopilot; KOBO has its quirk.) I think everyone should pick their first ereader on the trouble free base; other features are not that much different today.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #17
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have Kindles. I like them. I won't get any new Sony unless I know for a fact the stock fonts work properly, and one can add custom fonts. I have added custom fonts to my Kindles, and that's what I am looking forward to on the Kobo. If I like the Kobo better than the T1, the T1 will be out of here.
The stock fonts do work properly. It's unfair of you to blame the reader when you've added hacks and whatnot to it then taken them off and readded them.

If your device crashed when trying that font right of the box ok fine, sure, but that's not the case and you know it. Adding hacks and jailbreaking does something to the device. Removing it doesn't render it entirely back to stock. There is some 'residue' of the jailbreak on it and that's what messed up your font & crashes your device. I've had two T1's and I've got some for friends. None of us have jailbroken any of the units and none of them crash when using any of the stock fonts on it.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The stock fonts do work properly. It's unfair of you to blame the reader when you've added hacks and whatnot to it then taken them off and readded them.

If your device crashed when trying that font right of the box ok fine, sure, but that's not the case and you know it. Adding hacks and jailbreaking does something to the device. Removing it doesn't render it entirely back to stock. There is some 'residue' of the jailbreak on it and that's what messed up your font & crashes your device. I've had two T1's and I've got some for friends. None of us have jailbroken any of the units and none of them crash when using any of the stock fonts on it.
Ok I know what you are saying, but it is a known fact that the stock fonts, except original, often do not display italics correctly. That has been discussed many times in the forum.

If I set it completely back to factory it will still have the font issues.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-28-2013 at 09:26 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
armlabs
armlabs began at the beginning.

Device: prs t1
How to reflash back to Sony version?
I have tried the most updated 1.0.05 and extract folder "OS firmware" and put into MICROSD to try the sd rescue. but still no use.

any step to go back to the original version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Do you know your firmware version? If you can, reflash it. If it is already the latest version, there is a way "hack" to another version, and reflash back to Sony's version.
Have you flashed your firmware before?
armlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
All I know is that I have not jailbroken or hacked my T1 and I have no issues whatsoever with it. My SONY T1 has been rock solid. No problems with fonts whatsoever. Maybe I am lucky. That could be. But I do wonder how many of these issues come about on readers that have been hacked in some way. Maybe that is something that could be brought up in another thread.

Of all the things that Sony can be accused of in the ereader field (and there are a lot of things that they have done wrong) they do make rock solid readers for the most part.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
To test the font issue I described, find a book with italics that display correctly in "original" then try to open that same page in all of the available fonts, and see if the italics are displayed or not. I would love to hear the result.

Ok, I've tested it myself. I set the T1 completely back to factory default. I looked at the book excerpt Lost in Shangrila that is part of the factory install, found some italics and tested all the fonts.

First of all, none of the fonts crashed the reader. So that was interesting to note. second of all, not all of the fonts displayed the italics. Now I'll quit hijacking this thread.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by armlabs View Post
How to reflash back to Sony version?
I have tried the most updated 1.0.05 and extract folder "OS firmware" and put into MICROSD to try the sd rescue. but still no use.

any step to go back to the original version?
I didn't realize your T1 was rooted. Have you tried Sony original firmware update?
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PRS-T1/updates

This page has different method,
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Firmware_Upgrade

Last edited by david8866; 04-30-2013 at 08:30 PM.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #23
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
But I do wonder how many of these issues come about on readers that have been hacked in some way. Maybe that is something that could be brought up in another thread.

Of all the things that Sony can be accused of in the ereader field (and there are a lot of things that they have done wrong) they do make rock solid readers for the most part.
J, Your points are right on! Both of your points have been made by others, including me, numerous times.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
armlabs
armlabs began at the beginning.

Device: prs t1
now my situation is I cannot boot up correctly so i cannot access /media/READER from my pc.

only the thing i can do is through usb cable as rs232 communication for me to run console mode in the reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
I didn't realize your T1 was rooted. Have you tried Sony original firmware update?
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PRS-T1/updates

This page has different method,
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Firmware_Upgrade
armlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
simmonsk
simmonsk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I think my PRS-T1 is now a hard brick. The reader is at the boot screen with the words opening book and a black bar below. Reset + Power cannot restart the unit. Computer cannot detect the unit when connecting the USB.

Before this, I tried to perform a rescue using the rupor-rescue file and putty and follow the instruction on this page:

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23354

All went well until I finished copying using roadkil's disk image.

Now the unit is stuck. Cannot reset. Please help!
simmonsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Here's my twopence worth:

STOP PRESSING BUTTONS!!!

The reader stores the commands in its memory and becomes overloaded with commands.

DO A LOOONNNGGG CHARGE!
Using a wall-charger, not a usb charger. I don't mean the chargers which are basically usb adaptors, but those which plug into the reader then into the socket at the other end. You can purchase a Sony one, but I also believe the psp chargers work, though don't quote me on the latter.

LEAVE IT TO CHARGE, UNDISTURBED, FOR ABOUT 12 HOURS

Your battery is massively low. Leave the reader alone while charging. The charging must be continuous.

After this, unplug the charger from the wall and reader, do a soft reset (push something into the reset hole) and leave the reader alone for 2-3 hours. During this time, it will be attempting to sort itself out.

If, after 3 hours, it's still trying to start, leave it alone for much longer. Eventually, it will restart. You will have lost many of your bookmarks, and if you've tried a hard reset, your books too; but your reader should be in working order. If not, repost on MR.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
simmonsk

Here is an update. After charging the unit overnight through the USB cable to the computer, the unit is still dead.

The last thing that I tried is to press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. Then press the power switch, the power switch red led blinks 3 times. Press the power switch again, the red led blinks 3 times. That's all I get.

More help please!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #28
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Why do you not follow the instructions of those trying to help you? Do NOT plug it into the computer to charge! Charge it through a wall plug AC adapter. Leaving the USB cord connected to your computer overnight will kill the battery. When your computer goes into sleep or standby mode your reader will not charge. It wi actually drain the battery. Do not do that.

Get an AC adapter to charge your reader. They use a micro USB socket on one end with the other end that plugs into a wall socket. Leave that in for several hours to charge the reader.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
As Shopaholic has pointed out, my advice was to NOT USE YOUR USB PORT to recharge. It won't work. You need to purchase Sony's adaptor. Note that the plugs which enable you to convert a usb into a mains plug also don't work. You need them to plug into the reader and have a mains plug on the other end. Charging via your usb port will make things worse.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
simmonsk

Here is another update, after charging from the AC adapter (charger for samsung phone) for 20 hours, device still not turning on. Any more alternatives? About to give up.