Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #76
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Understand. The changes I made were to make them more compatible with other readers, when changing fonts though I'll see how it looks with Wake. I remember the Restored Wake was ok in that case.

Was curious if there's a reason for Other Writings to be non-chronological?

Noticed there's a bolded 'w' in 'Give me even my two months by laxlaw'. Haven't seen that in other editions.

I've also modified the inline TOC and removed the individual letters. My iPad Mini had trouble, with display speed and scrolling, with such a large TOC. That helped a lot.

I have an ePub of the Modern Library edition of Dubliners; might get around to comparing it later.

All your work is quite amazing; am enjoying your edition very much.

edit: The Modern Library edition does have quite a few differences in punctuation, words, and line breaks. I'll see if I can make a list. I've also looked at Wake on my iPad and chapter II.2 doesn't display correctly. Neither does it in Chrome so I'd assume that would be true of any webkit browser, and thus many other tablets like Android.

Last edited by democrite; 07-05-2013 at 07:47 PM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #77
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
The Other Writings are in chronological order, it’s just reversed. I liked the idea of ending the epub with early texts to complete the circle … But then the letters were added.

The bold w can be found in the original digitalisation of the Wake and it also looks stronger in my ’75 Faber & Faber paperback. Perhaps it’s just a smudge, but it may also be the key to the doors of perception, who knows?

It’s nice to see that Finnegans Wake is too much for an iPad.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #78
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Yes, Wake, like Nietzsche, is a bit much for even the entirety of the human race, for many centuries to come, and perhaps longer, so for an iPad …

I found a copy of Gabbler's Dubliners at the library. Might get around to comparing it.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #79
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thank you for super book.

LG
manfred63
manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #80
democrite
Evangelist

Looks like there are other letters of Joyce, and so far only one source:

http://www.pileface.com/sollers/arti...id_article=887

Last edited by democrite; 07-28-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Advert
Old 10-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #81
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v.9.0 | Update 6 Oct 2013

New version available with three more early versions of chapters from Finnegans Wake, published in transition N° 4, 6, and 7 in 1927, and some mistakes fixed from fweet.org.

A special edition of Finnegans Wake (announced almost a year ago!) which shows how the texts changed from their early form to the published book will be released later today.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #82
pynch
why in?

v.9.1 | Update 8 Oct 2013

“It is happening—again.”
Twin Peaks, 1990 / DJ Shadow, 1996

There was a problem with Sony devices that is fixed now.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #83
SapereAude
SapereAude began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi pynch,

Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your ongoing efforts to keep this ebook updated. However, with the latest version (9.1) I have run into a problem on my Kobo Touch - I cannot access the Table of Contents or use the Search in Book function. Both actions just hang when chosen. I can exit the menu and turn pages fine, but with an ebook so large I really need the Table of Contents and search. All other books, including your recent Finnegans Wake epub, work fine.

Thanks!
SapereAude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #84
pynch
why in?

No idea what’s happening there, both things work fine on my Sony.

What about the inline TOC—does that work? In combination with the back links, it should bring you everywhere with only a few steps.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #85
SapereAude

When using the inline TOC, choosing a link first brings up a footnote preview, and then when I select the SEE MORE button, it goes to the selected book's title page.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #86
pynch
why in?

I don’t know the “footnote preview”, that seems to be a Kobo thing.

The links in the main TOC should lead you to the cover page of the selected book, which is followed by a title page and then another TOC detailing the chapters of that book.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #87
SapereAude

Well, it is kind of working that way, except the Kobo stills thinks I'm in a footnote, showing me a link to my "previous location". Don't worry about it - I'll revert back to the prior version, which worked fine. There is plenty available to keep me busy without worrying about the most recent additions!

Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #88
SapereAude

Hi Pynch,

As a follow up, it turns out the the reason I was having trouble with your version 9.1 was Calibre. When I manually add the ePub to the reader, everything works ok, but when I use Calibre, the ToC stops working, etc.

Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #89
pynch
why in?

Good to know! Thanks for the info.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #90
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Wow! This is wonderful. Thank you, Pynch.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote