Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Joyce, James: Complete Works | v.12.0 | Update 8 Apr 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	joyce.jpg
Views:	2408
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	86903

This volume collects the complete writings of James Joyce (wikipedia). I was unhappy with the available versions and tried to find/make better ones in order to really give them the ‘feel’ of a book, worthy of this greatest of all writers (only my humble opinion!).
It has the seven books published in Joyce’s lifetime, and three sections of posthumously published writings: the poems, the essays, and additional prose. I have given, if possible, the dates when they were written.
I have thoroughly checked and corrected the formatting of each text by comparing them to the print editions. All those often ‘misbehaving’ <pre>-classes have been replaced, adequate formats were assigned to poems, quotes, subtitles, section breaks, etc. So you can easily change things there if you prefer it differently. There’s one caveat, though: The graphic designer in me may have taken over for the layout of the title pages. It looks nice on my reader in size S, but might have an less-than-ideal appearance for other readers and font sizes. If complaints about this get too numerous, I can simplify it. But I hope you like the covers for each of the sections, using facsimiles of Joyce’s manuscripts.
I’ve included fonts in the epub, in part because I don’t like my reader’s standard font, but also for smallcaps and irregular characters in the books (rotated letters, Greek, Doodles, etc.). If you change it back to the regular font, the texts may look strange in some places (You should at least keep the sigla font).
To make navigation through the collection easier, each book/section has its own table of contents. I’ve added links at the end of every text/chapter which bring you back to the respective table of contents. At the end of each of these tables a link leads to the main contents table.

Here are some specifics on the changes made:

1. DUBLINERS
This version uses dashes instead of inverted commas for the dialogue and has the italics that are missing in some versions. I’ve also checked all the section breaks within the stories.

2. A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN
The emphasised phrases are in italics now instead of upper case letters found elsewhere.

3. CHAMBER MUSIC & POMES PENYEACH
The indented lines of the poems have their own classes instead of blank spaces and could be easily changed at once if you prefer it differently.

4. EXILES
The speakers in the play are in small caps instead of upper case letters, which should be more comfortable to read.

5. ULYSSES
The people over at Gutenberg’s intend to correct their version according to the 1922 edition of Ulysses. I haven’t quite understood if they really have a copy of it to compare it to, so I went with something completely different hidden in a corner of the internet:
Jorn Barger of robotwisdom-fame just wanted to fix the typos in the online editions, but in the end he made a completely new edition in 2000 by comparing them to the Gabler ‘corrections’ and trying to find the best solutions. You can find annotations for all of his changes on his website.
So, images are now included, headings in the Aeolus episode and speakers in the Circe episode are in smallcaps, and the question/answer bits in the Ithaca episode have been regrouped. (see updates v.5.0 and v.11.3)

6. FINNEGANS WAKE
This was the hardest one, obviously. As I wanted to stay true to the original formatting, based on the 1975 Faber edition, this Wake comes with an extra stylesheet.
I have used—as everyone else—the digitalisation of the Trent University, but with all of the currently 196 mistakes corrected that are listed on fweet. I have carefully eliminated the hyphenation, but kept the pagination intact to make finding things easier, and all the images have been restored.
The meanest part was chapter II.2. Every digital edition I found ignored that the chapter is arranged in three columns with footnotes, with the notes in the outer margins required to be aligned with specific phrases in the center column. It’s impossible to do this perfectly for epubs, where the text needs to refloat depending on the chosen font size, but I’ve tried my best, and have come up with something readable in three columns with active footnotes. It works best with a smaller font size, my Sony PRS-350 shows the chapter adequately in size S. (see v.2.0-update)

7. POEMS
Listed chronologically, this section contains every poem from the two available poem collections. At the moment, infos on when they were written are still missing for a few poems, this will be corrected in a future update.

8. ESSAYS
Again listed chronologically, this section contains the essays and articles from “The Critical Writings” and “Occasional, Critical, and Political Writing”, and the rare essay “A Portrait of the Artist” from 1904.

9. OTHER WRITINGS
This has the minor prose works published posthumously: The “Epiphanies” from 1904, the fragment of “Stephen Hero”, “Giacomo Joyce”, and “The Cat and the Devil”. (see updates v.2.0 and v.4.0)

10. LETTERS
Contains all three volumes of his letters, plus the new and restored ones from the Selected Letters (see v.3.0, v.7.0, and v.10.0 updates).

COMPLETE?
No, of course it’s not. I couldn’t find the letters, I think they haven’t been digitalised yet (please contradict me here!), and there are some poems missing, mentioned in Penguin’s “Poems and Exiles” without specifying their titles. Also, the “Fragments from Work In Progress” are not included—yet. If I can find any of the missing items, I will update this volume.

DELUXE
Next month I will have an deluxe update with four of the five “Fragments from Work In Progress”, that were published in very limited book editions around 1930 and contained early versions of chapters from “Finnegans Wake”. These are my holy grail: I’ve been waiting for twenty years to hold them in my hands and was finally successful in a library. I was able to take photos and am currently converting them to digital text, which isn’t available anywhere else. (see updates)

SOMETHING WRONG?
It took weeks to compile this ebook and work through the texts. I hope I have succeeded in making this the best and most reliable digital edition available. So if you see any mistakes or texts missing that I haven’t mentioned, please don’t hesitate to send me a PM and I’ll try to do what I can.

Best,
pynch

Deluxe Update | v.2.0 | 26 May 2012
This collection now contains the announced “Fragments from Work In Progress”: Very limited book editions of earlier versions of chapters/stories from Finnegans Wake published in the early 1930s. You’ll find the texts of “Anna Livia Plurabelle”, “Two Tales of Shem and Shaun”, “Haveth Childers Everywhere”, and “The Mime of Mick, Nick and the Maggies” in the “Other Writings” section.
Additionally, I have completely reformatted the doomed chapter from Finnegans Wake. I thought it wasn’t possible do this flawlessly for epubs, but now everything looks like intended.
Also, about 15 new errors from the fweet-website have been corrected as well as some minor mistakes in Dubliners, Portrait, and the first section of Ulysses, which I have read in the meantime.
For people who want to try their luck converting this to mobi, I have added a TOC-entry in the OPF file for the main table of contents.

Update | v.2.1 | 19 Jun 2012
I’m through with reading Ulysses and have corrected some minor mistakes, as well as about 50 errors from the fweet-website. Additionally, I have slightly changed the layout of Exiles for a more common appearance.

Update | v.2.2 | 22 Aug 2012
Raphael from fweet.org has finished proofreading Finnegans Wake. So here’s an update with the last 50 corrections.

Update | v.3.0 | 7 Oct 2012
I’m proud to annouce that this edition now contains the very rare and long out of print Volume 1 of James Joyce’ letters (edited by Stuart Gilbert, Faber & Faber, 1957). Fonts for Gaelic and Greek characters have been added and the Sigla font has been updated for more special characters.

Update | v.4.0 | 28 Oct 2012
I’ve added three more fragments from Finnegans Wake that were published in magazines in the 1920s: early versions of chapters II.4 (in Ford Madox Ford’s the transatlantic review N°4 from 1924, the first publication ever of a text from the Wake, known as “Mamalujo”), III.2 and III.3 (in Eugene Jolas’ transition N°13 and N°15 from 1928/29). The first text comes from the robotwisdom site, the other two I transcribed from scans of the original magazines.

Update | v.5.0 | 11 Nov 2012
I have added the text of the 1922 first edition of Ulysses as a second version, with page numbers also serving as links between the two to allow comparisons. The text comes from wikisource and has been formatted to resemble the original layout.

Update | v.6.0 | 15 Dec 2012
As announced, here’s Version 6 with early drafts for three chapters from Ulysses (‘Proteus’, ‘Cyclops’, and ‘Circe’) and very early ‘vignettes’ from 1923/24 that would later be part of Finnegans Wake (‘Roderick O’Conor’, ‘Saint Kevin’, ‘Berkeley and Patrick’, ‘Tristan and Isolde’, ‘H.C.E.’, ‘Mamalujo’, ‘The Cad Kernel’, and ‘The Revered Letter’). Links to where these texts appear in FW are provided.

Update | v.6.1 | 4 Feb 2013
I could get my hands on a print copy of the Critical Writings, so I fixed dozens of spelling mistakes and improved its formatting. And about 50 more mistakes from fweet.org have been corrected in FW, too (unwanted spaces before exclamation marks, mostly.).

Update | v.7.0 | 10 Mar 2013
I have added the rare and out of print Volumes 2 & 3 of James Joyce’ letters (edited by Richard Ellmann, Faber & Faber, 1966), which I scanned and corrected myself, and merged them into one chronological sequence with the letters from Volume 1.

Update | v.7.1 | 10 Mar 2013
I forgot to modify the stylesheet for some extra classes in the Letters section. Which is now fixed.

Update | v.8.0 | 16 Apr 2013
I’ve added early versions of the first three chapters from Finnegans Wake that were published in transition N° 1, 2, and 3 in 1927, transcribed from scans of the original magazines.

Update | v.9.0 | 6 Oct 2013
Added early versions of three more chapters from Finnegans Wake, that were published in transition N° 4, 6, and 7 in 1927, and corrected some mistakes from fweet.org.

Update | v.9.1 | 8 Oct 2013
There was a problem with Sony devices that is fixed now.

Update | v.10.0 | 9 Mar 2014
Updated with 9 new and 25 restored letters from Selected Letters of James Joyce, ed. Richard Ellmann, The Viking Press 1975.

Update | v.11.0 | 8 Jun 2014
Added three more early versions of chapters from Finnegans Wake, published in transition N° 5, 8, and 12 in 1927/28.

Update | v.11.1 | 8 Jun 2014
There was—again—a problem with Sony devices that is fixed now.

Update | v.11.2 | 31 Aug 2014
Proofed Chamber Music and Pomes Penyeach against copies of the first editions, and Dubliners, Stephen Hero, and the Critical Writings against later editions and corrected hundreds of mistakes and variants. Details on the editions I used can be found after the respective tables of contents.

Update | v.11.3 | 5 Oct 2014
Proofed Ulysses against the Dover Publications facsimile of the first edition and corrected hundreds of mistakes and variants. Also, I have withdrawn the Barger version from this collection, which will reappear in a Variorum edition. (It’s here.)

Update | v.11.4 | 7 Dec 2014
Proofed Exiles against the 1921 Egoist Press edition, “Giacomo Joyce” and the “Epiphanies” against Poems and Shorter Writings, and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man against the ‘definitive’ text of the 1964 Viking Press edition. Hundreds of mistakes and variants were corrected.

Update | v.11.5 | 4 Jan 2016
Proofed the poems against Poems and Shorter Writings, Faber & Faber, London 1991. Hundreds of mistakes and variants were corrected.

Update | v.12.0 | 8 Apr 2018
Added the last six missing early versions of chapters from Finnegans Wake, published in transition N° 11, 18, 22, 23, 26, and 27.

Previous Download Count: 7735.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Complete James Joyce v12.0.epub (5.08 MB, 2529 views)

Last edited by pynch; 04-08-2018 at 03:40 AM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Wow! Many thanks!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Thank you so much - and I am sure many students will also thank you.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
Mironsch
Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mironsch could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Mini
This is really beautiful, and I cannot imagine how to improve upon this edition. Thank you so much for your efforts!
Mironsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v.2.0 | Deluxe Update 26 May 2012

I have added the books with early versions of chapters from "Finnegans Wake", completely reformatted the Wake chapter II.2, corrected some minor spelling mistakes, and added a TOC-entry in the OPF-file for Kindle users.
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Fantastic job!

This makes me more interested in the subject.

I see a children's story from 1936 by James Joyce called "The Cats of Copenhagen" was published for the first time this year--I have never seen this and didn't know about it till now.

The National Library of Ireland has released new digitized material with higher resolution versions coming on June 16th, you might find this news story about it interesting should any of the material digitized be of value, it's a selection of different things: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...315686035.html
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #7
pynch
why in?

‘The Cats of Copenhagen’ is from a letter to his grandchild, but there's a legal fight at the moment over who owns the copyright.

Thanks for the link to the manuscripts, I hadn’t heard about that yet, thrilling news! You can find a lot more manuscripts, letters, etc., if you search for James Joyce on this site.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
obiwanspicoli
obiwanspicoli began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Amazing work pynch. I can't thank you enough!! I stumbled on this looking for a Gabler epub of Ulysses -- which this appears to contain! I noticed the "nother dying come home father" and "sit down and take a walk" in the Proteus episode."

There is other stuff in here I might never have read if I hadn't found this.

I cannot imagine how much work you put into this.
obiwanspicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
pynch
why in?

Hi obiwanspicoli, welcome to MR. I’m glad you like it, but this is not the Gabler edition. Jorn Barger published the text I used online after comparing Gabler’s with the 1922 edition (link above).

You can find an html-version of Gabler’s Ulysses here (links are in the bottom right corner), but as it keeps the line breaks of the printed book, it’s not very well suited for epubs.

I’m almost through with reading Ulysses and hope to upload a new version with some minor mistakes corrected on Bloomsday.

Best, pynch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanspicoli View Post
Amazing work pynch. I can't thank you enough!! I stumbled on this looking for a Gabler epub of Ulysses -- which this appears to contain! I noticed the "nother dying come home father" and "sit down and take a walk" in the Proteus episode."

There is other stuff in here I might never have read if I hadn't found this.

I cannot imagine how much work you put into this.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
obiwanspicoli
obiwanspicoli began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I see. So it's a sort of a 1922/Gabler text....yet another version!!

I read Ulysses a few years ago and basically just plodded through it. I read the words on the page and I understood very little. I read it again this time last year with a little better grasp. More recently, I've been going through it page by page. I started in April and I am approaching the end of Lestrygonians.

I discovered Frank Delaney's Re:Joyce Podcast and it renewed my interest. So I started making my own notes in the margin using Gifford's annotations and Delaney's comments (up through Proteus anyway).

I am making my very own No Fear Ulysses. Any plans for Bloomsday?
obiwanspicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
pynch
why in?

Still have my old edition with hundreds of pencilled-in page ‘links’ to Gilbert’s and Ellmann’s annotations that I made years ago. Those were the days... Nowadays, when I don’t get a passage, I just revel in the rhythm of it.

No big plans for Bloomsday. Buying some soap, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanspicoli View Post
I see. So it's a sort of a 1922/Gabler text....yet another version!!

I read Ulysses a few years ago and basically just plodded through it. I read the words on the page and I understood very little. I read it again this time last year with a little better grasp. More recently, I've been going through it page by page. I started in April and I am approaching the end of Lestrygonians.

I discovered Frank Delaney's Re:Joyce Podcast and it renewed my interest. So I started making my own notes in the margin using Gifford's annotations and Delaney's comments (up through Proteus anyway).

I am making my very own No Fear Ulysses. Any plans for Bloomsday?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
pynch
why in?

v.2.1 | Update 19 Jun 2012

A little later than announced I uploaded a new version with some minor corrections in Ulysses and Finnegans Wake and a slight layout change in Exiles.

Best, pynch.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #13
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Very nice. btw Fweet recently added new corrections.

http://fweet.org/pages/fw_typo.php
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
pynch
why in?

I know. Actually, he told me that he finished proofreading the Wake, so I will upload an update soon, probably on the weekend—if Ambrose Bierce doesn’t object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Fweet recently added new corrections.

http://fweet.org/pages/fw_typo.php
Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
pynch
why in?

v.2.2 | Update 22 Aug 2012

Uploaded an update with the (presumably) last corrections from fweet.org in the Finnegans Wake text.

Best, pynch.