Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Error after upgrading to 0.9.12

I just updated Calibre to version 0.9.12.

Now, when I try to edit metadata, I get this error:

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ZipImportError</b>:can't find module calibre.gui2.metadata

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 208, in edit_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 224, in do_edit_metadata
  File "site.py", line 66, in load_module
ZipImportError: can't find module calibre.gui2.metadata
This happens when I right-click on a title and choose Edit Metadata Individually.

As far as I can see, everything else is working OK. I didn't have this problem with the previous version. I am running Calibre under Windows XP.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I just updated Calibre to version 0.9.12.

Now, when I try to edit metadata, I get this error:

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ZipImportError</b>:can't find module calibre.gui2.metadata

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 208, in edit_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 224, in do_edit_metadata
ZipImportError: can't find module calibre.gui2.metadata
This happens when I right-click on a title and choose Edit Metadata Individually.

As far as I can see, everything else is working OK. I didn't have this problem with the previous version. I am running Calibre under Windows XP.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Mike
Mike. Look at the top line of your error message. (0.9.0)
Your update did not complete correctly.

I tried your steps on XP. Success here.
Uninstall Calibre, then install your update (you might disable your A/V for that)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
[...] (you might disable your A/V for that)
Just remember to either:
  1. Block All in your firewall, OR
  2. physically disconnect your computer (remove incoming wire or disable wireless connection)
Do this before you disable the anti-virus as a precaution. It might not be necessary, but better safe than sorry.

Right after the install (regardless of whether it fixes the problem or not), re-engage your anti-virus, so you can return your system to normal.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sabardeyn and Ducks,

Thank you both for your suggestions. I was just about to try them, but I see now the problem seems to have gone away.

Before un-installing and re-installing, I thought I would try it one more time. I exited Calibre, but then I noticed that the Calibre icon was still present in the System Tray. Presumably, the program stays running in the background, even after you close the user interface.

So I used the System Tray icon to quit Calibre. I then restarted it - and everything seems to be working fine now. It's also showing the correct version number in the status bar.

Thanks again for your replies. I'll keep in mind what you say about disabling the a/v for future reference.

Mike
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Sabardeyn and Ducks,

Thank you both for your suggestions. I was just about to try them, but I see now the problem seems to have gone away.

Before un-installing and re-installing, I thought I would try it one more time. I exited Calibre, but then I noticed that the Calibre icon was still present in the System Tray. Presumably, the program stays running in the background, even after you close the user interface.

So I used the System Tray icon to quit Calibre. I then restarted it - and everything seems to be working fine now. It's also showing the correct version number in the status bar.

Thanks again for your replies. I'll keep in mind what you say about disabling the a/v for future reference.

Mike
Ctrl-Q will quit Calibre, even if it is in the tray
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Ctrl-Q will quit Calibre, even if it is in the tray
Ah, that's good to know. Thanks.

Mike
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Dasha
Connoisseur
Dasha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I have the Same Problem after Updating to Calibre 7.1

Helloo,I have exactly the same problem as theducks I updated to Calibre 1.7. Then got the https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/redface.gif

when I tried to Metada
calibre, version 1.5.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ZipImportError</b>:can't find module calibre.gui2.add

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\add.py", line 235, in files_dropped
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\add.py", line 337, in _add_books
ZipImportError: can't find module calibre.gui2.add
------------------------------------------
Now Metadata works but when I run Convert to my style of Epub I get (see attachment included)

Can I get some help Please Dasha
Attached Files
File Type: doc MobiPocketReadcalibre.doc (171.0 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Dasha; 10-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Dasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha View Post
Helloo,I have exactly the same problem as theducks I updated to Calibre 1.7. Then got the https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/redface.gif

when I tried to Metada
calibre, version 1.5.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ZipImportError</b>:can't find module calibre.gui2.add

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\add.py", line 235, in files_dropped
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\add.py", line 337, in _add_books
ZipImportError: can't find module calibre.gui2.add
------------------------------------------
Now Metadata works but when I run Convert to my style of Epub I get (see attachment included)

Can I get some help Please Dasha
You say 1.7 but then show 1.5

Your log stopped while looking for fonts to embed

You might try with Heuristics OFF
(you can later try a using the same format conversion with it set on if further cleaning is needed

Quit Calibre
Reboot (to be sure no remnants) , do NOT start Calibre
Install 1.7 (get a fresh download )
Try that, you might have a corrupt install
Old 10-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall, delete C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2
(or wherever you chose to install calibre). Then re-install. And
dont worry, uninstalling will not affect your books/settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 AM   #10
Dasha
Connoisseur

Thank's oneduck and kovidgoyal. I did all of that and you were right I did have a Bad "Updater Setup" I had used it 3 times and got the same result ?? Anyway it's all good news' now and thank you both very much. I have a couple of other questions about removing unwanted "Pages" from the front of my books - extra Cover Copywrite, Dedications "OTHER" novels by this author" about 10 Pages in Tweak Book (i have never used it)? Should I start a new Thread about it? If so where? I'm having trouble finding the New thread Button cheers two you both and Thank you Dasha
Old 10-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha View Post
Thank's oneduck and kovidgoyal. I did all of that and you were right I did have a Bad "Updater Setup" I had used it 3 times and got the same result ?? Anyway it's all good news' now and thank you both very much. I have a couple of other questions about removing unwanted "Pages" from the front of my books - extra Cover Copywrite, Dedications "OTHER" novels by this author" about 10 Pages in Tweak Book (i have never used it)? Should I start a new Thread about it? If so where? I'm having trouble finding the New thread Button cheers two you both and Thank you Dasha
New thread because it is a new topic.
Tweak is good, but you are doing major editing which requires editing the OPF, possibly the NCX. Try Sigil, it IS an EPUB editing tool
Old 10-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
Dasha
Connoisseur

Thanks oneduck I will leave well enough alone, thats all a bit too far for me to Journy to I will download Sigal and have a look Thanks again Cheers Dash