Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Recharging in Europe?

I'm in the U.S. and I use the charger that came with my 500 to recharge my 505. I'll be going on vacation in England in a few weeks. I've been told that the electricity is different there. What will I need to recharge the reader while in the UK?
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia103 View Post
I'm in the U.S. and I use the charger that came with my 500 to recharge my 505. I'll be going on vacation in England in a few weeks. I've been told that the electricity is different there. What will I need to recharge the reader while in the UK?
All you will need is a UK to US adapter. The Sony AC adapter is compatible the UK power output.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Just pick one of those international plug kits for laptops (checking if it does have a UK plug on it) and you are set, just plug the OK “plug” into the plug of your charger.

Do remember that, if you will be near a computer with a usb port, you can just bring the sony usb cable with you and charge it from the computer connecting to it with the usb cable = zero cost and resolves your problem.
Hey! The 505 charge lasts for weeks (or days if you are a very active reader).

Have a great trip,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To be sure, Julia, look at the small print on the charger, specifically at the specification for the "input voltage". If it says something like: "Input: 100-250V" then you'll be fine to use it in the UK - all you'll need is a plug adaptor. Just make sure that the range for the input voltage includes the 230v UK (in fact Europe-wide) mains voltage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia103 View Post
just get the cable for your charger that fits into UK power socket.
Or buy one of those universal socket adapters.

I have been using the standard PRS500 power adapter on 230V for years.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Here's a cheap universal power adapter I use when traveling.

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/p...O&dept_id=3017

They also have a version with surge protector for a few $ more.

The adapter has a USB plug so you can use the Sony USB to mini-5 for recharging. (I think. I haven't tested this.)
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote