Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Question [Rocket eBook] Source or information on replacement battery?

I have a vintage 12/1999 Rocket eBook Pro.

I have been attempting to locate information on the battery pack used in the unit.

The classic article on TeleRead links to Alltronics and Fox International and is now closing on three years old.

Alltronics has recently (February 2009) begun selling and auctioning (via eBay) what seems to be a new round of Rocket eBook motherboards. Contact with them reveals that they've pretty much disposed of the remaining components from that disassembly. (No time frame was given for their most recent acquisition of units, though.)

Although I wonder why they haven't made the display panels available.

The battery packs were disposed of because "they were getting too old." Hard to blame them on that score.

Does anyone have any information on the original battery packs? Voltage rating? Amperage rating? Charging rate? Manufacturer?

As original packs are no longer available, I'd like to see about arranging a reasonable facsimile that can fit into the case and be reliably charged from the Nuvomedia-supplied charger without overheating.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
This is cut and pasted from an email from The Yahoo Rocketbook group.

"I've been trying for some time to get my original Rocket Ebook battery
replaced, and using this forum as a resource for options. None of the
options I looked at were currently available, so I started searching.
I located a company advertising custom battery packs, and emailed them.

They described their services and pricing, and I sent them my
semi-disassembled rocketbook battery pack. Yesterday, I received back
the replacement pack, reassembled the Rocketbook, and wala! it worked
like new. It is holding a charge and the backlight works just like
the old days.

Company website:
http://shopbatteryhouse.com

The Vice-President, Michael Wollack, was very prompt emailing answers
to inquiries on their capabilities and status of the order. The
service was prompt, cost effective ($21 plus shipping - $3/volt) and
successful.

I assure you this is not a commercial, and I am not affiliated with
the company in any way. I just wanted to relate my good experience,
and update the battery resource info on the site."

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
This is cut and pasted from an email from The Yahoo Rocketbook group.

Company website:
http://shopbatteryhouse.com

Michael
Thanks for the information.

The price, while not cheap, is certainly well within the norm for most battery packs of that ilk.

Do you happen to know how long ago that message was posted?

Thanks.

-Joe
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Looks like it was January 10, 2009.

I've wondered about getting one just to have but it would probably go flat before I got around to using it and as NiMh batteries don't like long term storage without a charge, I think I'll wait till I need one.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocket battery