Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Klaus Yde
Klaus Yde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Zero byte files

Since last week I have had problems with Calibre and transfering. All that I try to transfer to my Kindle Voyage show up as zero byte files in my Kindle in Calibre - and dont show up in my Kindle. When I check my Kindle as a drive - the files are there and can be opened normal.

I have just cheked with my wifes Kindle Paperwhite - same problem.

When I use "Send to Kindle" I can transfer the books witouth any problems except that Calibre says that there is two copies.....

I have used Calibre since Kindle dx witout any problems until now.......

I use win 10 and the newest Calibre.

Help please

Klaus Yde - Denmark
Klaus Yde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
reset your kindle or reformat its drive as fat32 in windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2015, 03:42 AM   #3
Klaus Yde

Hallo Kovid

It has been reset (and restarted) and it is using fat32. My transfers has until a week ago worked smoothly. I have just tried with an old epub file. Was converted fine and following Calibre transfered to my unit. But when I check my device with Calibre it is a zero size file. And I can't se it on my Kindle. But when i check my Kindle as a drive it is there with the right size and can be opened - just not with my Kindle.

My suspicion is on the new Kindle Voyage in combination with Calibre and Win 10. I connected my Kindle Voage to my wifes PC (Win 7) and transfered two books. Following Calibre both was transfered. But one showed up wit a zero file size and was not recognized in the Kindle - sigh (both older ebooks from my library)

I sincerely hope that You can help me.

Kind Regards

Klaus Yde

Last edited by Klaus Yde; 12-12-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:32 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like I said, reformat the drive. The fact that it is already fat32 is irrelevant. The important part is the reformat. calibre and Kindle voyage and win 10 work fine. Your symptoms sound like a failing device, hence the advice to reformat, which can often allow a failing drive to work for som more time.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Klaus, have you tried scanning your Kindle's drive for errors? That would perhaps be a useful first step to take.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
Klaus Yde

Thanks for your promt answer.

The Unit is only 3 weeks old. Just got a new one as the first had developed dead pixels - You still mean me to reformat it? By reformatting it - dou You mean a reset or a formatting as you do a drive under windows

A filecheck has not shown any errors

When I reformat it - how to get the kindle software back? Just copy the two system folders back or?

PS It was reset when I got it 3 weeks ago

Last edited by Klaus Yde; 12-12-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is no system software on the kindle drives. The Kindle does not export its system partition over the usb connection. But if you feel concerned, simply copy everything off the drive first and copy it back on again later if you have trouble.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kovid, I think Klaus is referring to the folder called "system" that's on the USB-mounted partition. This is recreated automatically if you reformat the drive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah that does not contain any actual system software, and as you said, it is re-created automatically by the firmware when deleted. IIRC it was present in the original Kindle models as a way to backup/restore the colelctions on the device. Which was the route that the Kindle Collections Manager calibre plugin used to hack support for colelctions. But even that function was taken away in newer Kindle models.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
Klaus Yde

Hi Kovid

Sorry - I must have it in smal bites. I have to do a standard drive formatting like formatting a HD (not a reset)?? Under the supicion that the USB drive is failing?

But if that assumption is correct - I should not be able to transfer books by "send to Kindle" og by Calibre's mail function? That should give problems also - but works OK.

When I check the"zero size" mobi files (on my Kindle) with windows explorer - they are OK and I am able to open them on the PC as a normal e-Book.

So I am somewhat confused about why a formatting should help - or have i misunderstood something?

I am sorry for my many repetitive questions - bot I am somewhat nervous about doing a regular formatting on my expensive Voyage (I found one on the net that had done it and he was not able to restart his kindle afterwards)

Kind Regards

Klaus
Old 12-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
Klaus Yde

Just to deepen the mystery. When I transfer the books as AZW3 files - I am able to transfer the books by cable as i did previously............

And they dont appear as zero byte files. And I am able to se the book on my Kindle

Please comment if any can explain what is going on?
Old 12-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Yde View Post
I have just tried with an old epub file. Was converted fine
What format was it converted to?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote