Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #76
VeggieCat
Bacon Enthusiast
VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10, Kindle Voyage, iPod Nano 7th gen (for audiobooks)
I don't own a Paperwhite, but I imagine if I did I probably wouldn't go back to a non-lit device. My personal belief is that as the lighting technology gets better and better there will come a day when all new e-ink devices will have built-in lighting and non-lit devices will be a thing of the past.

Honestly I would love to have a Paperwhite, but at this time I hardly ever read in conditions that require additional lighting, and on the rare times I do I just switch over to one of my tablets. I just can't justify the cost of an additional device right now.

Now when my Touch dies, all bets are off...
VeggieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #77
geez
geez began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700, PB360(broken), PB360+, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Would you sell it to a new home where it would be loved again?

I have Kindle Paperwhite and I still prefer to read on my old - and failing - PB360. I am usually reading in places where there is sufficient light. I use PW when I go for vacation to places where there are less-than-ideal lightning conditions. I value pocketability of my PB360 more than the light on PW. Not to mention much, *MUCH* better software.
Me too, I don't mind to buy your used PB360. I still own a sony prs-700, a broken PB360, PB360+, Kobo Touch and lately a Kobo Glo... none of the other reader will satify my need as PB360/+.
geez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #78
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
I would not. But I'll never divorce my two wives: Kindle Keyboard and DX.
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #79
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
I would absolutely not buy a non front-lit reader.
I bought mine to use the light feature in bed, at night, so I don't disturb my wife but I now use the light a lot more and in more places than I thought (though I have to admit I never used it at the cinema yet, thanks for the idea Harry).

However, when I read in clear daylight or sunlight (admittedly this is a rare thing where I live) or when there is sufficient artificial lighting on I turn the e-reader's light off (I have a Kobo Glo which can have its light turned off) as I don't mind the "normal" e-Ink reading experience.

The front-lit feature for a reader is now just a "normal", expected feature as far as I'm concerned and I think that future readers will have it as standard or else they'll not sell in big numbers.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #80
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Definitely, if my black Kindle 4 would die (the KK sadly isn't available here anymore) I would get another one in a heartbeat. For me it's pretty much perfect and it is affordable. And I love the fact that it does not have a touchscreen and hope that in a few years we will still have that option.

Now that I also own two readers with frontlight I would not want to be without one but I would also want a non-lit reader around. Fortunately it is my firm belief that one should always own two ereaders. The thought of only having one and have that one break on me always makes me go
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #81
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I had to sit down and think about it for a minute. I have a Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight, and several Sony's. The Sony's have the book light built into the case. I actually have different genre's loaded on different machines, so swap them out when at the end of a book or story.

Frankly, if I lost them all and had to replace any of them, I'd get the Sony PRS-T2 first. Then the Nook Glowlight. My first choice would easily be a lit Sony if they came out with one and had the same (or better) OS. (and the lighting didn't suck.) Kindle would be a poor third.

I find the Glowlight and Paperwhite lights nice, (if not a bit choppy in places) but find that the light for me is secondary to the OS and how they handle/sort/store my files. Lights come up as dead last in my "What I care about" list for an ereader.

And then there's the price. I'm not sure I'd want to pay more for a lit screen, depending on the cost of the others.

So, yeah, I'd buy and un-lit ereader again. The cases with the lights work fine for me.

Last edited by DuskyRose; 01-31-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #82
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
These days I need a considerable amount of ambient light no matter what I'm reading on, and having briefly tried a PW, its benefits aren't of much use to me. Yes, the screen does look different regardless of the room lighting, but I didn't feel like it was a step down to go back to my T1. I do sometimes use an eluminator booklight with my T1, but I have to have it at just the right angle so that it lights more than just the screen, and I usually still need another light on in the room. Otherwise I get "headlight vision", which is what happened with the PW in a dim room. What can I say - I have weird eyes that get weirder as I get older. I can't drive at night unless the area is well-lit by streetlights. A camera flash blinds me for longer than is sensible.

If I had to replace my T1 right now, I'd probably get a T2. If Sony added a front lit model and there was no non-front-lit option, I'd consider it, but only if I can turn the light completely off. Otherwise, it would bug the crap out of me that I can't turn off something I'm not using.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #83
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The pw light is awfully convenient. But it doesn't have the same contrast as my k3 under good light -- specifically, the ink is not as dark. My eyes are more sensitive to contrast than resolution. And something else about it is not comfortable to my eyes. I could just be psychosomatic, but i do feel like there is a piece of glass between the display and my eyes.

I just got a replacement k3. Maybe next version the light will be improved. I'm sure only the budget version of readers will not have the front light in the future.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #84
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
How do the glow screens affect battery life? Still able to read for a few hours at a time for several days before needing a recharge?

I like the idea of a read-at-night e-ink screen, although Kobo is likely the only one I'd consider. (My collection's mostly in epub at this point, and I want the ability to read RTF or HTML.) But I don't want something with only a few hours' of battery life; I gave up on using my Clie when I got tired of having to stop to recharge in the middle of a book after a day of reading.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #85
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
How do the glow screens affect battery life? Still able to read for a few hours at a time for several days before needing a recharge?
Surprisingly the light seems to have almost no impact on battery life. I use the light ON on my Kobo Glo all the time and likely 2-4 hours/day reading and download 2 newspapers/day (about 3 Mb each) over wifi and I can get >2 weeks out of it even when just sleeping it when not in use (rather than turning it off).
I don't usually read in total darkness so I really didn't care about the light when I got it (more looking for higher res and speed), but having had a front-lit screen I don't think I would go back at this point. Under really bright conditions it doesn't matter, but in the evenings it helps cut out shadows etc. on the screen and makes for a nicer experience.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #86
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Battery life is good IMO. I recharge once every 6-9 days or so, and most of the time before I actually run out.

I read on average at least 1.5 hours a day with the light on and maybe up to another hour with the light off.

I have to say that the Nook Touch did last longer between charges or at least that is my (clear) impression as I did not actually measure it. But even so, the Kobo's charge life is good enough that it poses no problem for me.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #87
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm very curious about this.

I now have two front-lit e-ink devices (Kindlewhite and Kobok Glo) and I'm so happy with the technology, that I don't see myself ever buying another e-ink reader that does NOT have this as part of the built-in technology. My thinking is: It can only get better.

My question is mainly directed toward members who now own a front-lit e-ink reader, but please feel free to jump in if you do not meet this qualification.

Would you ever buy another e-ink device that does not have this front-lit capability?

Don
I bought a PaperWhite for my wife for her birthday. She loves it. It looks great. No complaints whatsoever.

So would I buy a non-front-lit e-ink device? Sure. Why? Price/functionality. If there was a $20 e-ink device, I'd consider it. If there was a 10" or larger non-lit device. I'd get it.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #88
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Sure I would. I almost never need a reading light for my Kindle, and when I do, I just use the little Mighty Brite reading light. About the only time I need it is when we go to the 4th of July fireworks, and I want to read before the fireworks start.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #89
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I would not consider getting a non-lit ereader ever again. Since I have the PW, I couldn't see myself going back to reading with one that was not frontlit. I love Sony's, but won't upgrade to a T2 because it does not come with a light. The light on the PW is very different from either a cover with a built-in light or a book light. It just makes the screen so much easier to read. My light is on at all times as it makes the reading experience so much better. I am hoping that Sony does come out with a frontlit model this year, but in the meantime, my PW is all the reader that I need.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #90
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I might consider it if my Sony ever died... And if the device had paging buttons... I don't even like that K4 device and I saw the Glo also doesn't have buttons either.
So, a Nook with Glowlight? It's not the fancy high res screen, and the light is a bit bluer than the KPW, but in a side-by-side comparison between my Nook Glow and my wife's Kindle Paperweight in a completely dark room, both were great. As a bonus, I got mine for about 60% of the price of my wife's ($75 on craigslist for the Nook vs. $120 new from Amazon for the Kindle).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote