Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Top 10 Fantasy Novels by Female Authors

A list in Kirkus Reviews of 10 top fantasy novels by female authors:

LINK

What do you think of the list, and what would be your recommendations .
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A lot of them are recent and I'd probably include some "older" ones like:

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
Daughter of the Empire by Janny Wurts
Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon

It's a good list though. Big fan of Carey and Valente.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I haven't heard of half of those.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
But... but... What about Robin McKinley!?
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would like to see Connie Willis, Ursula Le Guin and Janny Wurts on that list.

Edit: Hmmm maybe Connie Willis would be considered Sci Fi more than fantasy though.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I haven't heard of half of those.
I got you beat - I haven't heard of any of them. Must not be my genre.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I got you beat - I haven't heard of any of them. Must not be my genre.
Well, it kind of is my genre, which is what makes it surprising.

I've only read one of them (Hundred Thousand Kingdoms), have two others waiting to be read (Cold Magic and Kushiel's Dart), and have heard of maybe two or three of the other writers.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I might have to take a look at some of these for future reference.

I've only read some by Catherynne M. Valente and not the one listed. I really like her writing, but it's more folklore fantasy than the rest that is in the list. A very different read than the usual trilogy stuff.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I tend to avoid female fantasy authors. I do like LeGuin, Andre Norton and some of Marion Zimmer Bradley, but I think of them more as SF writers.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Robin Hobb and Mercedes Lackey should be on that list.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What about the top 10 fantasy novels written by ethnic homosexuals living in the greater Seattle area in the past six years? Surely that would be just as relevant?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
And where is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke, or the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling? Or classics like Lud in the Mist by Hope Mirlees or Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant? I also agree that Robin Hobb should be on the list.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I've only read some by Catherynne M. Valente and not the one listed. I really like her writing, but it's more folklore fantasy than the rest that is in the list. A very different read than the usual trilogy stuff.
I've only just *discovered* Ms. Valente because I've been going through the Hugo short fiction shortlist. Her Novella Silently and Very Fast was my favorite of the six under consideration. And just because of that I'm now reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, which is a fun little read.

And I agree, the list is missing a lot of very good female authors.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
C.J. Cherryh, Robin McKinley, Susan Cooper all should be on such a list.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who thought the list was a little strange . I did notice that the "major stars" (like Robin Hobb) were not on the list.
I think this is not really an all-time best list or even a best of the present day. Its more of a best of novels written by rising stars, IMO.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote