Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
robot
Edge User

Any linux geek here

Because there's still no SDK to develop applications using the e-Inc., I decided independently understand how to use a technical device capabilities (and Linux) to expand EE functionality.
I'll be glad to get respond from people who have experience with Linux systems or programming for Anroid\Linux core.

Last edited by robot; 06-23-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
robot
Edge User

Some info for example.
I know that some of you'd like to change shutdown picture on e-ink side. And it's possible.
The pictures located at system/esi/bin/mct_active.ppm (portable image format). But it's useless unless you rooted your device first. On the other side, as far as I see there's a way to make some change with root permission directly from android (and without rooting EE first). But I don't know how to do it, yet. So looking for advices.
The same with e-ink display frameboofer (fb2) which can be accessed only by root or graphics (so we need another apps to bypass this)
The same with e-ink properties (probably I found the way to turn on 16 grey level and to rotate on 90,270') but it's blocked right in EE software.

There's very many opportunities, but I haven't time to do this alone.

Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
robot
Edge User

Ok. Since tech support said that SDK will awailable no early than in 4-6 month, I decide to take a risk and try to do some modifications by myself.
So far the good news: EE were rooted succesfully; The bad news: I were not able to add international font support to epub reader

Old 05-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
summatusmentis
Edge User

Bear in mind that i don't have an eDGe, so I may not be that useful, but I have some experience with other embedded devices, and I do have a hacked version of android running on my HTC Touch.

EDIT: I realized that this post didn't really have a point. What I'm saying is I'd be interested in helping, but some of it might be difficult given that I don't have a device. I'm here to ping ideas off of or I'm willing to help with linux questions, if that's useful.

Last edited by summatusmentis; 05-29-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
robot
Edge User

Is there anyone interested in root patch for EE?

Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Is there anyone interested in root patch for EE?
Sure. Post it.

Last edited by kenjennings; 06-23-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
kenjennings
Edge User

Installing eclipse and Android SDK on linux.

On the general subject of developing for Android on Linux, I found an exceptionally useful blog HERE providing directions for getting eclipse and the Android SDK working properly on openSuse 11.2.

I had been basically flailing about for a few weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't get the Android SDK installed. As great as openSuse is I have no idea why their packaged version of eclipse has been allowed to be broken for so long.

Anyway, the blog directions are generally good enough for the current release of eclipse 3.5.2, and the Android SDK r06. I would expect the directions to work with few changes for almost any other distro, too.

Now I can get back to my eBook, "Professional Android 2 Application Programming (and the wives who regret it.)", and get my first "Hello Whirled" Android program running.

Last edited by kenjennings; 06-23-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
robot
Edge User

Suggest where to upload file (about 200mb) ?

p.s. I much more interested in installing debian... it will give us much more than just android can give. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...507291&page=17
http://www.androidfanatic.com/commun...atid=9&id=1615
unfortunalty for unknown reason I can't download files from filefactory and xda-developers. So if someone reupload them to an better hosting, it will be nice.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
shinkamui
Edge User

robot, did you succeed?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
kveroneau
Edge User

Is there a way to prevent this image from appearing during the power off cycle and just keep your current image on the e-ink? This would be the best option. I tend to write directions before I leave home on the e-ink, but need to keep the device powered on just to keep this on the e-ink, even though that is the only thing I open it for.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:55 AM   #11
robot
Edge User

shinkamui, yes and no. you can see progress here http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ustom-firmware , but I didn't finished 'cos worked on another projects.

kveroneau, if you kill (hangup) ereader/journal app and then shutdown device the image on e-ink will stay unchanged. But you'll need to root your device and install an terminal in order to be able to do this.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
borisb
Edge User

What I do is lock the LCD screen then close the eDGe. This puts the eDGe into a very low power sleep mode. I can then open the eDGe and it won't turn back on, but clearly the eink image is unchanged. I do this for grocery shopping with my PE with great success.