Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
abuck
abuck began at the beginning.

Device: playbook
Adding cover to pdf corrupt pdf...

Ok, here's a really simple ask, the only thing I want to do is to be able to add my cover to my PDF, instead of having a cover.jpg in the same folder. I didn't find a way other than using the convert tool. Is there an easy way ?

1) Is there any way to add cover to my pdf other than using the conver tool ?

2) Anyway, after converting my pdf with the default setting, my pdf went from 841 pages to 5207 pages (and took almost 25minutes to complete). This just like a bug...

3) The cover adding thing seem to only be supported when converting one pdf at a time, is there a way to convert a lot of them ? Bulk covert doesn't seem to have the metadata tab for book cover. I might be missing somethere here...

Anyway, i've included the 2 pdf (input and output) as well as the cover. Let me know if you want me to do more tests.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwpI...it?usp=sharing

I'm using calibre 1.5.
abuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
abuck

bump....
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuck View Post
bump....
Bumping is NOT a MR approved action.
When someone has something to say, and time to say it, they will.

Set up an e-mail notification on the topic, then
Please sit back and wait for a reply

Last edited by theducks; 10-09-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
abuck

oki, didn't know, will know for future

I want to do is to be able to add my cover to my PDF, instead of having a cover.jpg in the same folder, is there a way, instead of converting the entire book (which look buggy at this time... )
Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no way to add covers to PDF files in calibre. The PDF format has no concept of cover, the best you can do is insert a new ODF page with the image at the start, and calibre does not do that, since there is no way to identify the page as being a cover, which means if you do the operation twice you will end up with two cover pages.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
abuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is no way to add covers to PDF files in calibre. The PDF format has no concept of cover, the best you can do is insert a new ODF page with the image at the start, and calibre does not do that, since there is no way to identify the page as being a cover, which means if you do the operation twice you will end up with two cover pages.
That's too bad but thanks !
Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmmm, this blog post claims that Calibre can add a cover to a PDF - I haven't tried it and it maybe fraught with nasty side effects, but it may be worth a try - make sure you have a copy of the pdf squirrelled away.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote