Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #46
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
A question for Kolenka, what colour is the light on your KPW? From what I can see, of the pictures of good KPWs on this forum, all have a bluish light.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #47
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
A question for Kolenka, what colour is the light on your KPW? From what I can see, of the pictures of good KPWs on this forum, all have a bluish light.
Auto white-balance on cameras can screw photos up and over/under saturate, so a hasty photo can and will be wrong. I took a couple shots in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=89. It looks blueish, but the white balance is off quite a bit.

When at full blast, it does look a touch cool with indoor lighting. When low for night reading, it looks a bit on the warm side. It is a weird effect, probably due to the off-white background of the eInk. But the thing is that the Nook Glow I had stayed cool at any brightness. The background stayed pretty much "grey" at any brightness too. With the PW, the background itself seems to go from "grey" to "white" with the light on. It's just really hard to find words to describe the differences.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #48
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Auto white-balance on cameras can screw photos up and over/under saturate, so a hasty photo can and will be wrong. I took a couple shots in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=89. It looks blueish, but the white balance is off quite a bit.

When at full blast, it does look a touch cool with indoor lighting. When low for night reading, it looks a bit on the warm side. It is a weird effect, probably due to the off-white background of the eInk. But the thing is that the Nook Glow I had stayed cool at any brightness. The background stayed pretty much "grey" at any brightness too. With the PW, the background itself seems to go from "grey" to "white" with the light on. It's just really hard to find words to describe the differences.
Thanks for the explanation. This would explain what I have seen with the KoboGlos as well. Photos and videos of Glos make them look very blue but the six model I saw didn't look anything like that. Granted this was in a store setting so the ambient lighting was high but I did cup my hands around the device and put my face up to my hands to get a better idea of what the reader would look like in low light.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #49
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
something I noticed is that the tinge of the light differs according to "ambient light" : when I'm readin in the dark or having deep shadow behind the Glo, the tinge is clearly blue (and I, for one, like it) but if I have an incandescent light behind the Glo (reading in a poorly lighted room for example), the tinge becomes clearly warmer (not to say yellowish).
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #50
llcj
Addict

I also think there is a difference between ereaders within the same brand. Two Kobo Glos I looked at were perfectly white in all conditions. They were so good that I actually said 'wow' out loud even though I was alone. Two were bluish under some condition, as vice-versa has said while one had an aqua hue to it under those conditions. None of the ereaders with coloured hues were intensely coloured. They had just a slight hue to them.
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycymru View Post
Hi

Can you please explain in a bit more detail how you implement this "Style". Is is something in Calibre you just copy and past into the Extra CSS section of "Look and Feel" in "Convert Books". If so, do you make any other adjustments? I find that in "Look and Feel" if I tick "Remove spacing between paragraphs" and also in Filter Style Information tick Fonts and Margins (to "remove" them) then I can adjust most things to how i want them.

If not, where else do you make these adjustments?
I use Sigil to edit the epubs and either insert my custom stylesheet or replace the existing stylesheet.css file with my customized one. Each of the text files has the link to the stylesheet in the section between the <head> and </head> tags.

<head>
<title>Kai Lung Unrolls His Mat</title>
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

After this, I use search and replace to change the body, paragraph and other tags as needed.

I've used Calibre for some stuff but I find it too limiting in terms of what I want to do. Sigil gives me the power to make the ebooks look the way I want them to look. After some practice, it takes an average of 15 minutes for me to do my restyling of an ebook. Since I use fixed margins, line spacing, paragraph spacing, etc. the Kobo settings have little effect so I seldom need to use them for sideloaded books.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #52
mrmoo
mrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Round 2 at Goodereader.

Last edited by mrmoo; 10-27-2012 at 11:03 PM.
mrmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #53
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
I just played with a demo Paperwhite in Best Buy. Splotchy, uneven lighting at the bottom, screen had a reddish tinge to it. Yeah it was pretty snappy, but the Glo is a much more refined machine.
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #54
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
I just played with a demo Paperwhite in Best Buy. Splotchy, uneven lighting at the bottom, screen had a reddish tinge to it. Yeah it was pretty snappy, but the Glo is a much more refined machine.
I'm amazed at some of the basic differences between the two, such as how the Kobo Glo has a physical on/off switch for the front-lighting and the PW does not. I use that feature regularly (such as on a bus trip where the amount of ambient light is changing regularly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoo View Post
Round 2 at Goodereader.
Thank you for sharing this second video. Why would I want to read (as suggested in the video) at super high brightness in the dark?! I only use super-high brightness when there's a fair bit of ambient light; I use the very lowest brightness setting in the dark.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #55
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
I guess the only think I did like about the Paperwhite was that it "felt" a little lighter than the Glow. And the left/right bezel is a little wider, so that made it a bit easier to hold. But only by a TINY amount. The glo is much more "holdable" overall, in other positions....if that makes any sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
I'm amazed at some of the basic differences between the two, such as how the Kobo Glo has a physical on/off switch for the front-lighting and the PW does not. I use that feature regularly (such as on a bus trip where the amount of ambient light is changing regularly).
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #56
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
I guess the only think I did like about the Paperwhite was that it "felt" a little lighter than the Glow. And the left/right bezel is a little wider, so that made it a bit easier to hold. But only by a TINY amount. The glo is much more "holdable" overall, in other positions....if that makes any sense
I have my Glo in a Sleepcover anyway, so for me the smaller the bezel the better as I'm holding the case (not the e-reader itself).

I'm coming off a tablet-style e-reader, so any e-ink e-reader feels crazy lightweight to me.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote