Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
angel999
angel999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura HD
Japan: limited choice: Kobo glo vs PW2

Dear all,

I'm right now in Japan and looking for e-reader.
In Japan, we're quite limited... no B&N, no latest Kobo Aura or Aura-HD. Sony they don't have front light, so it is not a choice.
So my choice is between Kobo Glo ad PW2.
Honestly speaking, the PW2 looks to have still few problems and Kobo glo looks better.
Money is not really a problem as e-readers are cheap in Japan.
Closed format of Amazon is not really a problem with Calibre.

I'm trying to find elements to say Kobo glo is a bad product compare to PW2. But i don't see....

Thanks by advance
angel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It depends on your wishes, your usage, and your dealbreakers. If you're happy with limited choices in how your book is displayed on an unmodified device (line spacing, margins, fonts, etc), and you're not anti-Amazon, then a Kindle is probably a great way to go. It likely wins out in customer service, too, should you need a warranty return.

If you are fussy about how your page looks and how your text is displayed*, and perhaps if you're a bit of a tweaker (you like to customise things, you might like to try uploading altered firmware to get the device doing exactly what you want it to do, you think you might like to play around with Calibre getting your epubs/kepubs and shelves juuuuust right), and you don't mind a bump on the road here and there, a Kobo might be a better choice for you. If added storage (micro SD card) is a dealbreaker for you, then Kobo's the obvious choice over Kindle.

* this is me, by the way!

Last edited by meeera; 10-04-2013 at 06:21 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Don't think the Kobo Glo is a bad product at all, but depending on your light sensitivity, you might find the light on it a little bright and a little blue. I did read one review which rated the new Aura very highly saying it was a lot better than the Glo (I think they rated it 9 compared to the 6 they gave the Glo - I can't find the review), and if you look at this video comparing the Aura HD v Glo, I immediately notice the very blue tinge to the Glo's light.

I think the light on the PW2 looks much better, but if that blue tinge doesn't bother you.... then you might be happy with the Glo. The Kobo firmware is prone to bugs, but it is far more customisable than the Kindle.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Hardware-wise the PW2 is obviously the way to go. You need to decide whether you're interested in being in Amazon's ecosystem. There's a possibility that the new Aura will come to Japan (how can it not?) but there have been no announcements so far.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
angel999

Thank you...

Wait for Kobo Aura or Aura HD could be a solution... but as there is no announcements for Japan... We don't know if it will be 1 month, 2 month or more....
Kobo owner is Rakuten, but it looks that announcements are still managed in Canada... (and they don't care of Japan..)

Last edited by angel999; 10-04-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
The Kobo has far too many glitches and bugs. It's not worth the headaches IMO. Go with the Kindle. Easy. No hassles. Works out of the box. No hair pulling or migraine pills necessary.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The Kobo has far too many glitches and bugs. It's not worth the headaches IMO. Go with the Kindle. Easy. No hassles. Works out of the box. No hair pulling or migraine pills necessary.
Counter point: I have never experienced a bug that I am aware of with Kobo other than the long paragraph thing which is really more of a niggle. I guess it depends on what kind of reader you are. If you're the kind who simply turns on the reader and flips the pages then you'll be fine. If you're the kind who must adjust page margins using Calibre then you might have problems.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm the same as Canuck - no migraines here with either of my Kobos. The odd niggle - the long paragraph bug doesn't bother me, the italics bug did (it's fixed now), and one upgrade issue long ago with my Touch (fixed with a factory reset) - but these niggles I'm far more prepared to put up with than Kindle display niggles, which would bother me every single second of my reading.

Each to their own! Kindles are probably fine for the majority of readers, and are very very likely to be perfectly fine for new ebook readers who aren't font-monsters.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Counter point: I have never experienced a bug that I am aware of with Kobo other than the long paragraph thing which is really more of a niggle. I guess it depends on what kind of reader you are. If you're the kind who simply turns on the reader and flips the pages then you'll be fine. If you're the kind who must adjust page margins using Calibre then you might have problems.
That's not the case with any of the people I've met in person who have a Kobo. They've never even heard of Calibre nor are they the type to even consider messing with things that some on this board grumble about: margins, fonts, weights etc. They just want to read hassle-free.

I talked readers on the weekend with a woman who hates hers with a passion. Her and several members of her family all got the mini's and they hate it. They constantly have to do factory resets.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Well that is indeed a problem. I've only had an Aura HD since April (my only experience with Kobo) and I have yet to have to do a reset. Sorry to hear about your friend's problems.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #11
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
+1 for the kobo migraines.
Almost every month I have to do a factory reset,and I'm not alone.
Quite a few people here and in the greek forum complain about it.
The problem seems to be the updates,not the firmware(at least for my device).
I wouldn't advise anyone to buy kobo now,at least until they get their s@#t together and launch a decent firmware.On the other hand their hardware is state-of-the-art.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #12
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

I think we can all agree that between the PW2 and the Kobo Glo there's really no contest. If you're happy with Amazon's ecosystem (or converting to Amazon's format) then I say go for it! You'll be the proud owner of the cheapest (pricewise) Paperwhite in the world!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I wonder if the people who have to factory reset their Kobos are syncing with Kobo a lot. I never do (beyond initial set up) and have never had to reset a Mini. The only time I had to reset a Glo was when I was hacking it and messed it up (my error).

I have had my Glo freeze on me....or refuse to open a book (only with the latest firmware). Now that is very annoying.

ETA - I went back a firmware to 2.6.1. I liked it better. Hopefully it won't freeze up any more.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-07-2013 at 08:40 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
DaveinJapan
Enthusiast
DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.

Device: iPhone
Ah, nice to see other Japan folks around!

I'm not familiar with the Kobo device, but how do the prices compare?
DaveinJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
angel999

Thanks readers,
Price of Kobo Glo is about 8000yen (80dollar, 61euros) and the PW2 is about 10000yen (100dollar/76Euros).