I use iBooks 22 57.89%
I use the Kindle App 16 42.11%
I use another ebook App 17 44.74%
I don't use any of the above 1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
What library software do you use?

Full disclosure: One of my hobbies is to prepare ebooks by hand, mostly for the MobileRead Library but also on occasion for others. And I recently bought an iPad to try to ensure that ebooks I prepare work well on an iPad.

Given that there are different library softwares I'd like to know which are the most widely used - that is, which ones I should work on first to make sure that the ebooks I prepare work for most people.

Last edited by AlexBell; 09-01-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'm not sure if you can even sideload your own books to the iOS Kindle app. I use either Stanza or Kobo on iOS.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
You can side load mobis to the kindle app (though I suspect OP is building ePubs).

I usually read on either Kindle or Bluefire.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
You can side load mobis to the kindle app (though I suspect OP is building ePubs).

I usually read on either Kindle or Bluefire.
Yes, I start with ePubs and then make a mobi version with calibre. But I'm currently having a lot of problems making the ePub versions - which work perfectly well on my Sony - work as expected on the iPad/iBooks.

The very enthusiastic salesperson where I got the iPad told me that she doesn't use iBooks; she loads all her ebooks with the Kindle App and then converts. But I didn't know enough to ask how she did it.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
The very enthusiastic salesperson where I got the iPad told me that she doesn't use iBooks; she loads all her ebooks with the Kindle App and then converts. But I didn't know enough to ask how she did it.
She does not know what she is talking about then. You cannot side load an ePub into the Kindle app and the Kindle app sure as hell does not convert anything

I purchase all my books from Amazon so I use the Kindle app... the books I side load I use Calibre to send them to iTunes to read them in iBooks.

There are other reader apps out there but the combo of Calibre and iTunes/iBooks is too convinient to pass up
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
She does not know what she is talking about then. You cannot side load an ePub into the Kindle app and the Kindle app sure as hell does not convert anything

I purchase all my books from Amazon so I use the Kindle app... the books I side load I use Calibre to send them to iTunes to read them in iBooks.
Sorry, I should have been more clear; if I understood her properly she downloads her books through the Kindle app, then uses calibre to convert them.

I seem to remember that she uses uBooks to read them.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear; if I understood her properly she downloads her books through the Kindle app, then uses calibre to convert them.

I seem to remember that she uses uBooks to read them.
It seems counterproductive. Download using the Kindle app, removing the DRM, then converting to ePub (I assume), and then sideloading them into uBooks...

I would really be interested to know how she gets them from her iPad to the computer since I don't believe that to be possible
Old 09-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
For me, it would be Bluefire and Overdrive. Bluefire because I like the formatting, how each page appears, and the page flipping animation. Overdrive because I can borrow library ebooks and read them using it.
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Stanza+Calibre= unbeatable. What will I do when Stanza is dead?
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
Stanza+Calibre= unbeatable. What will I do when Stanza is dead?
Perhaps iBooks lol
Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
[Deleted by me because I realized I'd not responded to the question asked, but to the question I thought was being asked. Which it wasn't. And I don't know how to delete entire posts, though I probably should do it more often. Improved opinion below.]

Last edited by Harmon; 09-06-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
I rarely use iBooks. I'm generally more comfortable using one of my EBRs for reading books, in part because they are more portable, in part because I find myself getting distracted when I'm reading books on my iPad.

If I do read a book on my iPad, it's more likely to be in the Kindle App simply because that's available to me wirelessly across the iPad, my iPhone, & my K3. So I'm reading a single book across the three devices.

But here's a nuance - I don't use my Kindle to read free books. I use my Sony, so I get my free books in epub format.

So IF I were to be reading a book on the iPad that I obtained from Mobileread, I'd be using iBooks.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, Harmon.

I think your response shows how polls don't show all the nuances. I'd never have thought of all the possibilities you mention
Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I read ePubs in Stanza but must take another look at the alternatives sometime in case it stops working with some IOS update or other...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I read ePubs in Stanza but must take another look at the alternatives sometime in case it stops working with some IOS update or other...
If that happens, I just won't update the firmware on my device. The only reason I'm still using an iPhone is because of Stanza. I've already found a nice alternative on Android (Mantano Reader) so if iOS 5 screws up Stanza, I'll be looking at the Nexus Prime to replace my iPhone. That said, I find the Kobo iOS app to be pretty decent.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-08-2011 at 03:53 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote