Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I can't remove the free books...still

I did the update an hour ago and it seems that everything that was supposed to change, has changed. Except that I can't find any way to hide the 100 free books. I'm not even sure where to look for the option. There's nothing in the menu or on the desktop app that would indicate that I'm able to hide a book. Could I have messed something up during the update?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
If you go to the 'books' page and click on 'display' it gives you the option to show just your books or just the 100 or all books
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I doubt that you messed anything up, but the right place to hide the books is hard to find...

You have to get to the "Books, by(Title/Author)" screen, then press the display button. In the bottom half of the Display menu you will see choices for 'All Books', 'My Books', and 'Pre-loaded Books'. Take your pick there...

Happy Reading

(Edit): Dang! Beat out again! I must learn to touch type...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

I guess when you have already opened one of the pre-loaded books, it become part of the "my books" category. So now I can't hide the books that I opened. I'm glad I opened a couple of them
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

you can remove them if you use Calibre...
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I guess when you have already opened one of the pre-loaded books, it become part of the "my books" category. So now I can't hide the books that I opened. I'm glad I opened a couple of them
That's right. We didn't want to hide all pre-loaded books indiscriminately because, hey, people might actually be reading them So we decided to consider open/bookmarked books as 'My Books'.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by terifili View Post
you can remove them if you use Calibre...
... but you can't restore them (easily) since they are removed as a batch.

As an interim solution, I like what Kobo has done: hide them, but leave visible the titles you have opened.

The 100 free books is a nice perk; but hardly anyone will want all of them. They are especially helpful in the "getting to know your Kobo" period.

I'd like to see a way to delete them en masse BUT have access to the individual titles back at the mothership. In the Kobo Desktop Application, for example, in addition to Library and Store, it would be great to see "Stacks" ... using the Library metaphor where these specific books are not on the shelves and instead you fetch them from the stacks. The Stacks would contain just the 100 titles and could be "called" to the Library upon request within the desktop application ... and, when closed, "returned" to the stacks.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I had dropped them but ended up making use of the Torrent someone had posted, and restored the DB with all the free books in it.

I do like the fact that I can now hide them, and selectively pick a few to read.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I had dropped them but ended up making use of the Torrent someone had posted, and restored the DB with all the free books in it.

I do like the fact that I can now hide them, and selectively pick a few to read.
Unfortunately it seems that once you've read them (after finishing it and returning it to the library), you can't hide them anymore. At least that's what happened to me.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

All of the 100 free books are available free at the Gutenburg project (manybooks.net) if you want to get any of them back.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Unfortunately it seems that once you've read them (after finishing it and returning it to the library), you can't hide them anymore. At least that's what happened to me.
I just checked, and it's the same thing on mine too. Seems like once you open it, it will be on your "My books" list forever.
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
All of the 100 free books are available free at the Gutenburg project (manybooks.net) if you want to get any of them back.
yep, they're also available on Kobobooks.com
Old 07-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
wrenn1
Addict

"yep, they're also available on Kobobooks.com"

Cool, that makes for an easier download. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
"yep, they're also available on Kobobooks.com"

Cool, that makes for an easier download. Thanks.
you probably will have to wade through the copies we have from Internet Archives. However, the IA books will have distinctly different text-only covers, whereas the Gutenbergs will be more elaborate.