Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
coltrane
coltrane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The Back button

Does the back button always bring you back to the previous location?
I find that if I go the the dictionary from a page the back button will not return me to the last place I was at in a book. What I do is put the cursor next to a word, the short definition appears at the bottom. I then hit the enter button to go to the full definition in the dictionary. At this point the only way I can find to get back to where I was reading is to go to the home page and then select the book I was reading. This doesn't seem right. Am I doing something wrong?
btw, I have a kindle 2

thanks for the help

john
coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
"Back" should return you from the dictionary to the page you were on. There are several known buglets with the Back button, depending on the version of your firmware, and if the book you are reading is in Topaz format.
First - try a Reset (settings menu) - sometimes this cures the problem, or a Restart (hold top button to the right for 20 seconds - until K shuts down & restarts). Books in Topaz format can exhibit zany behavior when the Back button is pushed - returning you pages earlier than where you were.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
coltrane

how can I find out what firmware version I have and how can I update my firmware?

ah so many questions

thanks
john
Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrane View Post
how can I find out what firmware version I have and how can I update my firmware?

ah so many questions

thanks
john
On main menu - click on settings - look in lower right hand corner of the display. You'll see either 2.3 or 2.3.2 or 2.3.3 probably.
As to updating - we are all in limbo waiting for the 2.5 update to be released by Amazon - which has for some reason pulled the earlier 2.3.3 from its website. If you look around this forum, you may find a link to a cached copy of the 2.3.3 bin file.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
coltrane

can't get better than pratchett. And the best is the Light Fantastic
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
coltrane

How is the update applied?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
coltrane

yet another back button question if you don't mind
should I also assume that if I go to a footnote the back button should also return me to the place I was reading?
I am wondering if my back button is broken if that is possible.

argh

thanks again

john
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrane View Post
yet another back button question if you don't mind
should I also assume that if I go to a footnote the back button should also return me to the place I was reading?
I am wondering if my back button is broken if that is possible.

argh

thanks again

john
Yes - the back button should return you from a footnote to the place you were reading. Sounds like you need to call Customer Service and see if your unit is defective.