Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Big readers and coming soon winter...

Sad, there is no common e-ink thread... It concerns Iliad, Sony Reader, lBook V8...

Well, as far as Iliad is a biggest e-ink reader among others, I post my thoughts here

Now we have our readers (someone still has not but it's a matter of time).
In my region it can be -25-35C cold in winter. And our readers are big enough comparing with PDA, mobile phones - almost no way to wear them under coat or other warm clothes.

So - how are you going to protect your devices from cold?
Let's think about it - first mass-e-ink winter is close enough...
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir
Sad, there is no common e-ink thread... It concerns Iliad, Sony Reader, lBook V8...

Well, as far as Iliad is a biggest e-ink reader among others, I post my thoughts here

Now we have our readers (someone still has not but it's a matter of time).
In my region it can be -25-35C cold in winter. And our readers are big enough comparing with PDA, mobile phones - almost no way to wear them under coat or other warm clothes.

So - how are you going to protect your devices from cold?
Let's think about it - first mass-e-ink winter is close enough...

Just try not to read outside

Or better yet, if you HAVE to read outside, just give it some adjustment time; eg: no thermic shocks;
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Under those weather conditions you won't be reading, and not just because of the e-ink technology.

The lithium-ion rechargeable battery won't operate correctly at those temperatures. They tend to prefer things be 4C or better.

The e-ink panel actually has a lower range since it is rated down to 0C.

The Sony Librie can have the Energizer e2 Lithium batteries (http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium/) installed and they are rated to -40C, but that only buys you 4C since even the Librie's panel isn't rated below 0C.

Last winter I used the Energizer's to give better cold weather performance than ordinary AAA's (noticeably better I might add) and kept my Librie in my Eddie Bauer outer jacket's large interior pocket.

If the heater was out on the bus the display could get sluggish but no permanent harm came to it (but we never got much below 0C.)

I know this thread is about Winter, but Summer is an issue as well. And for similar reasons: lithium-ion battery.

If you charge your lithium-ion battery at 40C, it permanently reduces the charge capacity of the battery. Make sure you take your iLiad/Sony some place cool (closer to 25C) to charge it.

For those still using Librie's, I was near the equator for several weeks last year. The Energizer batteries also perform better there during Spring/Summer as well. If you don't flip pages quickly enough in 40C heat the ghosting on the e-ink panel gets much more noticable.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
I've got your joke guys

But, of course I mean not reading outside, but only how to protect our readers in our bags in such cold?

As I know, any electronic device should be left for 1-2 hours before turning it on after bringing from cold to normal room conditions.

If someone needs for example, 30 minutes to get from work to his home in a cold weather - how can he protect his reader from cold and how quick he can start using his reader after coming from cold?
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I'd go to the iRex forum and ask them to define the C/per hour change in temperature that the iLiad can withstand. I haven't seen them specify that figure anywhere.

I've got one of the "The Pouch" covers for my iLiad and it keeps mine from getting too cold: so far... Select your carry pouch, put a digital thermometer that records min/max in it and test with that. Calculate C/change per hour based on your results and go from there.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert