Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
bystander
bystander began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Which Ebookstore should I get a gift card from?

Hi everyone! My grandpa wants to get me a giftcard to buy ebooks for Christmas because he knows how much I love my PRS 505.

He's a giftcard-buying kind of guy, and I'm not going to feel comfortable asking him to just give me cash instead, so I'm trying to figure out where to tell him to get it from.

Like I said, I have a Sony ebook reader, and I read fantasy and historical fiction novels. Where can I get the best selection of these genres?

I know some of them have a bigger selection, some are known for having large selections of different genres, etc.

Basically, if you were me, which ebookstore would you choose?

(I've got Calibre and ConvertLIT, so I don't mind doing some format conversion if I need to.)

Thanks a million!

Brittany

Last edited by bystander; 12-04-2009 at 01:49 PM.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Almiel
regrets buying PocketBook
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CoolReader (Android), Pocketbook 360 Ivory
Hi bystander, I'm new to ebooks myself and don't have a reader yet (hoping to win the one in the giveaway or get one for Christmas). My favorite genres are the same as yours; I've been looking at various ebook stores and I would recommend you take a look at shortcovers.com (new and free classic stuff), baen.com (sci-fi/fantasy), and fictionwise.com (new and free classic). Shortcovers doesn't appear to have a historical fiction genre but fictionwise does. Another decent looking site that has indie writers is smashwords.com. Browse through all these and then decide. I would lean toward fictionwise for the selection and smashwords, because I found several books there I would like to read. There are ratings (for some) to help you decide. Some actually point to the print version on Amazon where there may be even more reviews.

Who are some of your favorite authors in these genres? I like Katherine Kurtz, Robert Asprin, and Diana Wynne Jones for fantasy. For historical fiction I look more at the subject matter than any specific author, although I like Stephen Lawhead's newer stuff.

Happy reading and Merry Christmas!
Almiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Check Sony's Ebookstore and Books on Board. See if they have a reasonable selection of the genres you prefer.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote