Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help with Sue Grafton series

I recently got most of the Kinsey Millhone series from Fictionwise during a 100% rebate sale. I have read and enjoyed these on paper and the sale was too good to pass up. However, it bothers me that the series is incomplete. It goes up to 'U is for Undertow' in paper right now, and of the books in print, here were my results with the ebooks:

P is for Peril was not for sale at Fictionwise but I got it from the library
J was not available at the time of the sale but is now
L, M, N and O are not available at all

I checked Kobo and Books on Board as well. No L-O. I don't get it. It's not like they started digitizing them at the beginning of the series and simply haven't finished them all yet because books which come later in the series are available. So what's the problem? Anyone know where I can get the missing volumes?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
So is it that you want them in ePub? Amazon has them and you have a Kindle listed as one of your devices.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi there. I don't buy from the Kindle store because I haven't figured out how to liberate them. Maybe once someone gets the scripts working on Kindle for Mac...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Hi there. I don't buy from the Kindle store because I haven't figured out how to liberate them. Maybe once someone gets the scripts working on Kindle for Mac...
But don't you have a Kindle? If so liberating is very easy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard

I do have a Kindle. I don't know how to work with Amazon books though. I have bought from Fictionwise, Sony and Kobo and some very kind people have helped me work out the proper ways of handling these files so I have a system. I have not run across any books I can't find among those three stores, so I have never sought out help with Amazon books nor have I bought any except for a replacement dictionary.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do have a Kindle. I don't know how to work with Amazon books though. I have bought from Fictionwise, Sony and Kobo and some very kind people have helped me work out the proper ways of handling these files so I have a system. I have not run across any books I can't find among those three stores, so I have never sought out help with Amazon books nor have I bought any except for a replacement dictionary.
I see. Well the mobidedrm will work fine with Kindle books... you don't have to mess with the for Mac stuff.

BOb
Old 03-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
well - I went to http://ebooks.addall.com/ and searched for M, N, and O and the only place I'm seeing that has them is Amazon.

So .... it might be time to learn. Or you could just read them on the Kindle or your iPhone.

I agree that holes in a series are beyond frustrating. I like complete collections too.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I see. Well the mobidedrm will work fine with Kindle books... you don't have to mess with the for Mac stuff.
BOb
So, how does it work, then? I have a mobi id registered at Fictionwise and it uses that to create the books. Then I just drop them on an Applescript. Where do I put the ID in for Amazon books?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So, how does it work, then? I have a mobi id registered at Fictionwise and it uses that to create the books. Then I just drop them on an Applescript. Where do I put the ID in for Amazon books?
You don't "put" the id anywhere. When you buy a kindle book for your Kindle it is encrypted with the PID determined from the Kindle serial number. The kindlepid script allows you to get the Mobi PID by passing in your Kindle's serial number. Once you have that any Kindle books (not Topaz) you d/l to your PC for you Kindle you can use mobidedrm passing in the PID that kindlepid gave you and it will decrypt the ebook.

So, you can create an AppleScript with your Kindles PID in it and just drop your kindle books on it... it should work just the same.

BOb
Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard

Thanks, Bob! I still am not completely sure I get it but I appreciate the tips. I will probably give it a try one of these days...
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If you already own them in paper, why not just get them off a torrent? The whole series is freely available.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
I had the whole lot apart from O which I couldnt find anywhere, its annoying having one missing!

Last edited by PDS; 03-21-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #13
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But don't you have a Kindle? If so liberating is very easy.

BOb
The M, N, and O books at Amazon appear to be Topaz (no file size listed in the product details) so not so easy to liberate. My guess is that they will be out soon in other formats, though - they probably started releasing the newest books first, then went back to the beginning and worked forward to release the older ones (L is now available at Fictionwise in eReader and ePUB).

Last edited by KarenH; 03-22-2010 at 03:56 AM. Reason: clarification
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I've been watching for them ever since I started looking for an ebook reader and I could only find them from P on up. That was over a year ago.

I thought they wouldn't release the rest of the series until after it was over and I was pleasantly suprised to see the Fictionwise sale -- unfortunately, I didn't see it until after the sale was over.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote