Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #76
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Would that list include The Very Hungry Koala?
I'd have trouble trimming my picture book list: Diary of a Wombat, Possum Magic, The Rabbits, Are We There Yet?, Tiddalick, Grandma comes from Gooligulch, A is for Aunty, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, The Waterhole, The Lost Thing, Uno's Garden ... many of those recommended for adults as well.

(The Very Hungry Koala would be a very boring book.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #77
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Blinky Bill?
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #78
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Blinky Bill?
I'm "eh" on Blinky Bill. Snugglepie won out.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #79
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've read 9 on the Amazon list, or 7 if you discount the ones where they dumbed down the title for the US market (Northern Lights, Philosopher's stone). 17 on the goodreads list.

It does seem heavily US-biased. As well as the lack of Douglas Adams there's no John Wyndham, No Arthur C. Clarke, No Terry Pratchett.

As a Brit a trio of notable US omissions are Tom Clancy, H.P. Lovecraft and the lack of any US fantasy (Chronicles of Amber, something by Michael Moorcock).

What really puzzles me is Charlotte's web. I vaguely remember reading it here in the UK but as far as children's books go it would be fairly far down the list, behind stuff like Stig of the Dump and Treasure Island. Is it really that big in the US or is it mainly on the Goodreads list because it's on the Amazon list?

Quote:
...Dune is the all-time sci-fi classic; and probably my favorite book ever.
Dune? I'm not sure about that, it's a good story but compared to the mind blowing books like Rendezvous with Rama, The Complete Robot and Ringworld I certainly wouldn't call it the peak of sci-fi achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
No Virgil, Homer, Shakespeare, Dickens, Verne or Melville?
I'm not sure I'd call any of them essential books. Admittedly I haven't read much from those authors but the Dickens and Verne I've read were little more than average (and often inferior to adaptations/readings) and I'm far from alone in giving up on the unabridged Moby Dick half way through.

Shakespeare is admittedly brilliant but better experienced as a group reading or performance.

The only classical author I've read is Vitruvis so I won't judge Virgil and Homer from that (he's interesting, but not for his writing ability).
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #80
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
What really puzzles me is Charlotte's web. I vaguely remember reading it here in the UK but as far as children's books go it would be fairly far down the list, behind stuff like Stig of the Dump and Treasure Island. Is it really that big in the US or is it mainly on the Goodreads list because it's on the Amazon list?
Charlotte's Web is indeed a great American children's classic. It is the first book that I can remember reading and studying as a whole class together in fourth grade (that's 9-10 year olds). I've never heard of Stig of the Dump, but I see it is a British children's book.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 02-08-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #81
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm not particularly impressed by the SF choices - Handmaid's Tale and Fahrenheit 451, yes, but Dune over Hitchhiker's Guide?
Dune is scifi, Hitchhiker is satire. It's no more scifi than Gulliver Travels and indeed I find Adams as great a satirist as Swift. Just because it's set in space and has aliens and spaceships doesn't make it scifi. Its outlandish concepts like the bistromatic engine may be great fun but are very unscientific. works well for the purpose of satire though...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #82
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
I'm not sure I'd call any of them essential books. Admittedly I haven't read much from those authors but the Dickens and Verne I've read were little more than average (and often inferior to adaptations/readings) and I'm far from alone in giving up on the unabridged Moby Dick half way through.
look! An escapist fantasy fan whining of those classics authors who dared to cope with real life and everyday struggles...

I'd go as far as saying that after more than a full century of that, people got fed up and gone Don Quixote themselves, all the way back to chivarly books...

(and yes, I know Verne is about the excitement of fantastic voyages)

Quote:
The only classical author I've read is Vitruvis so I won't judge Virgil and Homer from that (he's interesting, but not for his writing ability).
good thing you won't judge poets from the writings of the ancient architect

Last edited by Namekuseijin; 02-08-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #83
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
I actually stopped counting once I got to the third listed HP book.
I have read them all, but I don't think any series should take up more than one spot.
spot on

damned lists and series
Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 AM   #84
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
Its outlandish concepts like the bistromatic engine may be great fun but are very unscientific.
And Dune has magickal spacefolding and prescience, which is just as much fantasy as the Infinite Improbability Drive and Bistromathics. Just less funny.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #85
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
look! An escapist fantasy fan whining of those classics authors who dared to cope with real life and everyday struggles...
I'm not sure if you're serious or not. My point was that I wasn't finding them any better than other authors who have tackled the same topics. I suppose there is something to be said for reading them because other people have read them, to establish a common ground.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #86
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I was amazed to find I'd read 25 on both lists though it seemed odd to have multiple books by the same author. Some of the choices also seemed a little odd (Harry Potter, Hunger games, Dune, King James Bible).
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #87
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
29 from the Amazon list. (But i read Goodnight Moon enough times to have memorized it).

I thought that the choices were a bit odd & weighted to more recent works. I would have taken Joan Didion's Slouching towards Bethlehem over Year o' Magical Thinking. Would Murakami fans really choose Wind-up Bird as his best? I'm not a fan, but if i had to choose one, i'd go with Hard Boiled Wonderland. I like Lolita, but Nabokov's Pale Fire is more fun. And so on

33 from Goodreads. Which is also Amazon's list.

Last edited by barutanseijin; 02-16-2014 at 08:13 PM.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #88
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
I just glanced through them and see in the first twenty three children's books
that were not available when I was a child. LOL I have no desire to go back to read kiddie books and as I have never had kids had no reason to revisit kiddie books. You would think they would have an adult and children's list.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #89
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
The Amazon list had:

Great Expectations by Dickens

The Goodreads list had:

A Tale of Two Cities, A Christmas Carol, Great Expectations by Dickens
Hamlet, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare
And as I look at the Shakespeare I have to disagree with it on a "BOOK" list. They are plays! Drama! and in truth, best enjoyed when viewed as a play! (not the scrambled versions most of the Hollywood versions are but the good BBC classic versions that are true to the play if you don't have the pleasure of seeing it performed live which is the absolute best way to enjoy Shakespeare)
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote