Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #166
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by frigo View Post
It concerns both the Onyx and the PB903: when you get rid of the margins of one page in order to improve its readability, either by automatic crop or by manual zoom, can you keep this zoom template for all the following pages? Or do you need to perform the same operation at every page, however in most cases the margins remain the same in the whole book ?
Both devices more or less keep the zoom level. On the m92 its exactly as booxtor has said - you remove the margings, and the zoom stays on all pages (until you change it).
On the 903 it depends on which software you are using - adobeviewer or pdfviewer. On both you can just select the zoomlevel (e.g. 150%). The area that you see pdfreader tries to align with the left and top border of the text - which is what you want in most cases. You can't pan around the page though, and pdfreader renders pdfs lighter (hard to read at times) then adobe. The adobeviewer however only aligns on the left side - you usually see quite a lot of white space above the text, and some of the bottom of the text is missing. One can however scroll to the bottom of the text. Its a pain, but at least adoveviewer renders dark enough.

In the 903 reality I use briss to crop the pdf, and then use adobeviewer. On the m92 you can rely on the 'select zoom'.

Edit:

Couldn't resist: http://youtu.be/p7k-G2hXty4

What I should have shown is that a cropped pdf (using briss) really works fine on the 903.

Last edited by jbaach; 12-16-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added video
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #167
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
yes exactly my thought. this is the first ereader that you can have a form, fill it out and turn it back in- at least this easily. might be nice in the doctors office for filling out all of those patient forms..
Do not jump that far. To make it usable in that sense (this would work for lawyers too) the PDF reader should be able to merge the handwriting with the form or the document and to digitally sign it eventually or at least encrypt it. We have not determined yet that this is the case, I am inclined to believe that resulting PDF has the writing as layers. jbaach could you upload or could you open that with Adobe Acrobat to see if that is the case? If I can have the file I will look at it myself and I will report back here.

However we are now asking for too much, a month ago we were still trying to determine if there is any hope to have a functional firmware and now ..we are trying to get forms filled and signed :-)) ...

thanks for everything
PF

PS: Is anybody taking pre orders for North America? (USA and Canada)
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #168
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
jbaach could you upload[...]?
Yes, I can :-)

The attached Moodle book is the one from the videos, and contains scribbles on Page 17 and 18.

I also downloaded some random pdfform (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf). You can't type into it (like in acrobat reader), or digitally sign it, but you can scribble and merge (attached).

Its not that easy to tick a box :-)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Moodle_Sample_e-book_1970-1-1_7-12-40.pdf (5.13 MB, 1744 views)
File Type: pdf fw9_2011-12-16_19-2-29.pdf (183.9 KB, 299 views)
Old 12-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #169
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
OK I just looked at the files, they both have the scribbling stored as comments. Each distinct line is stored as a "free hand line".
So if you just touch the screen and you leave a small mark there that is stored as one comment.

see the attached picture

Continuing the idea about using this ereader by doctors and lawyers for editing and signing docs...it is not a good idea, the docs can be modified after they were released.
You need a better PDF editor implementation for that and I think it is out of scope for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scribbling merged as comments (free line).jpg
Views:	4094
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	80025  

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 12-16-2011 at 01:48 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #170
jbaach
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
OK I just looked at the files, they both have the scribbling stored as comments. Each distinct line is stored as a "free hand line".

Continuing the idea about using this ereader by doctors and lawyers for editing and signing docs...it is not a good idea, the docs can be modified after they were released.
Interesting find, thanks for that. Agreeing to you, I think legaly binding electronic documents are not within reach at all. However filling out such a form, and then printing and signing it, or just as a information gathering instrument would still be useful.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #171
not3nor4
just because
not3nor4 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch, Onyx Boox M92
Hey jbaach,

I know you've already tested the browsers on both devices, but would you mind testing the files attached below? It is Android developer's guide from Google, which is just a bunch of HTML and CSS files packaged in a folder. I'm really interested in seeing if both devices could interpret file structure inside the folder and render these offline HMTL pages correctly. Could you click on "index.html", then the "Dev Guide" tab and then just click/scroll around a bit? (to keep the file size managable I've removed the content for other tabs)

Thank you so much; I was kinda annoyed by the delayed availability of PB912, but now after watching your video reviews I'm going to get M92 instead
Attached Files
File Type: zip testdocs.zip (18.83 MB, 191 views)

Last edited by not3nor4; 12-16-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: additional info
not3nor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #172
jbaach
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by not3nor4 View Post
I'm really interested in seeing if both devices could interpret file structure inside the folder and render these offline HMTL pages correctly. Could you click on "index.html", then the "Dev Guide" tab and then just click/scroll around a bit? (to keep the file size managable I've removed the content for other tabs)
The file structure gets recognized on both devices. The rendering is a bit too light on both devices, but that seems to be a css issue (body-color: #333333 instead of decent black - changable). One needs to hold the device in landscape mode to make use of the doc, I find. Tiny rendering issue with the nav tabs on the m92 when zoomed in (not important), needs a big font size increase on the 903.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #173
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
thanks for checking that out PF4. at the least we have some form filling capability even if its not yet ready for prime time.

I am on the brink of shutting my store down- its been a tough 4/ months. i wasnt planning on selling the M92 so i probably wont be starting any pre-order.

however onyx-usa does have it listed already for pre-order at $439
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #174
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
Sorry for my english...

Can you put a folder with images and navigate directly in the images?

The question is if i put a comic B&W can i navigate trought it.
or i have to select a image, go to the menu select the next one....

If you can post a video with this you have sell another M92 ;-)
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #175
janwas
janwas began at the beginning.

Device: none
kapoira: why not just convert the images to a PDF with the free PDFill tools, and then view the resulting PDF?
janwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #176
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
I think there is *.cbr or *.cbz support now for Onyx readers, isn't it?
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #177
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
one possibility if the thing that says janwas, but i have my collection of manga directly in images separates with folders volume/chapter not zip not rar not cbz or cbr, only images organizated with folders, is very basic but works very well for me.
I'm working with linux and with a script i can transform any folder/subfolder in a pdf with imagemagick, but i will be more happy if i can try to do various scripts with rsync to sync the folders of my manga with the m92
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #178
jbaach
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoira View Post
Can you put a folder with images and navigate directly in the images?
http://youtu.be/ZPTtFtXupas

Short version: you can flip through images with joystick/page change buttons.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #179
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Good news!

The first batch of m92 will arrive today (just got a message from UPS )
So we start to dispatch now.
Customers from Germany could get their order before Christmas..
Customers from EU - before 2012.. (or before Christmas if you are willing to pay Express Delivery)
We still have some M92 in stock.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #180
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
good news BOOxtor ,
I am in the UK, and I had paid for DHL Delivery, it there a chance to received before Christmas?

thnaks
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote