Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #16
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
It's SO ugly, it actually makes me fear for the future of e-books.

When the iPod launched it was hot because it was so well designed, inside and out. It blew EVERYTHING away... and look it still does.

This thing is about as stylish as a brick. Looks about as portable as a brick too. I really don't see people jumping up and down and screaming "WOW! I WANT THAT!" any time soon. Look at the lukewarm response it's getting from die-hard e-ink fans here!

And I really see the whole publishing industry looking on, while nobody buys this contraption. The Kindle tanks, Amazon sells no e-books, e-books are declared a failure.

Yeah that's pessimistic, but man that design scares me, and I LOVE e-books.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #17
Cogito
Reader
Cogito began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 500
From Newsweek:
"Amazon prices Kindle editions of New York Times best sellers and new releases in hardback at $9.99."
That's got to help the future of ebooks.
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 AM   #18
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I don't care what colour it comes in, it will never be pretty. Invisible paint would help I suppose.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 AM   #19
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
Since no one is saying it (in this thread ) I will say it: This is ugly, very ugly!

Agreed. does it come with a Toaster?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:49 AM   #20
Adam
Enthusiast
Adam began at the beginning.

Amazon owns mobipocket right?

Question is why doesn't the kindle use mobipocket. Amazon owns the company, doesn't it? Hopefully it will use mobipocket and then by transference we can get mobipocket magazines on other devices.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Question is why doesn't the kindle use mobipocket. Amazon owns the company, doesn't it? Hopefully it will use mobipocket and then by transference we can get mobipocket magazines on other devices.
Adam, the Kindle uses the Mobipocket format.

What's unclear, at this point, is if other devices supporting Mobipocket can use Kindle books as well.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 AM   #22
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
I'm new, but I'll take that bet! I'm guessing that Amazon will let you buy a Kindle in any colour you like, as long as it's white.

Maybe a while after launch, when people have complained long enough, they might relent and break out with off-white or, for the thrill seeker, gasp, black.
May I ask for a brown version? Only then I will admit, that the kindle is ugly. Since noone said it (in this thread): I still like it.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #23
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
It doesn't look very comfortable to hold; almost like they think it will lie on the desk most of the time its being used.
I'd have made the keyboard detachable - if you're just settling down to read a novel, you probably wouldn't need it, and it'll get in the way.
Also, if the keyboard was a seperate unit, it could be more ergonomically designed than the one on the unit (altho wear and tear could be an issue).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 AM   #24
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Bezos is my hero by selling new release e books at $9.99 even though the publishers don't agree. At least not Penguin reading the article. If he can force them to see the light by even selling current releases at loss that is a good thing. It's fine for the publishers to hide in their back rooms and justify it to each other why they can't sell them cheaper but if I was Bezos I wouldn't want to stand in front of the media and try to explain why the electronic editions cost the same as a hard cover physical book. The Kindle is looking better all the time.

I had to laugh when I saw the quote from the Penguin CEO that the digitization process is a real choke point and how new releases go through it all the time. Of course if you first print the book and then put it through a digitization process it will become a choke point.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #25
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Adam, the Kindle uses the Mobipocket format.
Do you have a quote? I didn't see any confirmation of that. And "Kindle Edition" does suggest a different format.
By the way, Microsoft did something similar, abandoning PlaysForSure in Zune and using new DRM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #26
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Do you have a quote? I didn't see any confirmation of that. And "Kindle Edition" does suggest a different format.
By the way, Microsoft did something similar, abandoning PlaysForSure in Zune and using new DRM.
Hmm you're of course right. For some reason Mobipocket is drilled into my head whenever I hear Amazon. But of course it's possible that "Kindle Edition" is something completely different!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote