Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
uclaser
Connoisseur
uclaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle Fonts

Sorry if this may sound noobish. My K3 is my first and only reader and after reading a number of different books I noticed that each book has a different level of font clarity. I downloaded the Sherlock Homes collection from mobileread and compared it to the same full collection I bought from Amazon. The one from mobileread seems to have a darker font. Is this a common occurence or its just my eyes playing a trick? My copy of the Homeland(Drizzt series) has a very very dark font, it is as though it is in bold.
So the question is, is there any method to change the native font type of a particular epub/mobi file before uploading it into my kindle via calibre?

Thank you so much.
uclaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hmm I'm sure I read somewhere that fonts could be hardcoded into ebooks - perhaps in the underlying HTML source code before the book is converted to a mobi file. Not sure if there is a program that can do this for you or whether it has to be done by hand.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure if you can embed fonts directly into a MOBI book. I suspect not, but I've never researched it. You can embed fonts in PDFs, ePubs, and some ebook formats. MOBI seems so limited though that I would be surprised if you could.

However, you can modify the CSS stylesheet when converting a book to MOBI and change the font weight, or even the font families as far as that goes. Changing the font weight to bold would make the text darker on a Kindle. Changing the font family will have no effect unless the Kindle was hacked and those fonts were added to it, but you cannot hack a K3 yet.

In calibre on the Look and Feel tab, I add the following in the Extra CSS field

body { font-weight: bold; }

This makes all the text in the book bold assuming a specific CSS style doesn't override it. But this requires a non-DRMed book.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
(Crappy) Topaz book?

Because in a MOBI book, (on a Kindle), you *can't* change/embed the typeface, just the styling.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
uclaser
Connoisseur

ahh... thanks for the insights guy..I will try the CSS first and I will give an update later
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I purchased the ebook Spurgeon's Morning and Evening from Amazon and the font looks like an old manual type writer.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sounds like you got a dreaded Topaz book. What is the file extension name?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
It must be one of topaz format books (azw1, azw2). I try to stay away from those.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
uclaser
Connoisseur

hmm.. the file extension is.azw so I am guessing that it is a normal azw file. Anyway, I tried resending the file with the added CSS body { font-weight: bold; } from epub to mobi. There wasn't any change on the font
Old 09-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It is azw file, the same as the KJV Bible.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that the file extension doesn't necessarily mean something.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
I'm having some luck setting Kindle, EPUB, and HTML fonts in a consistent non-ugly way indirectly using CSS:

<style type="text/css">
p
{
text-indent: 0em;
margin-top: 1em;
margin-bottom: 0em;
}

.fItalic { font-style:italic; }
.fBold { font-weight: bold; }
.fMono { font-family: monospace; }
.fMonoItalic { font-family: monospace; font-style:italic; }
.fMonoBold { font-family: monospace; font-weight: bold; }
.fNormal { }

<p class="fMonoBold">This text in Monospace Bold!</p>

Haven't figured out a way to get to the new sans-serif non-monospace fonts in Kindle though ??
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #13
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimad View Post
Haven't figured out a way to get to the new sans-serif non-monospace fonts in Kindle though ??
You've tried the following...?

font-family: sans-serif;
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
You've tried the following...?

font-family: sans-serif;
Yes, of course, I can put the following snippets into an HTML

<p style="font-family: sans-serif"> This is a test. </p>

<p style="font-family: serif"> This is a test. </p>

and it "works fine" in an HTML browser, compile it to MOBI using Kindlegen and Kindles ignore one's font-family specifications.
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote