Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
What exactly do the locations represent?

Hey,

I'm just wondering how exactly the locations are calculated? I'm wondering because I am reading The Hobbit and Dorian Gray simultaneously and happened to spot that the actual books have 220 and 320 pages each, but the same number of locations. Is that due to different printing in the actual books?

Also, I don't quite get the status bar quite yet. What are the black triangles? Why are chapters sometimes marked nicely with dots and sometimes they are not (in my Hobbit they are but in Dorian Gray they are not)?

Thanks a lot for the help, and sorry if this was asked before at some point.
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Locations are used in lieu of page numbers to indicate your reading progress. The location number is independent of screen size, font size, lines per page, etc. and represents a % of the file size (128 K if I remember arightly). This allows syncing among devices with different screen sizes.

Chapter marks depend on how the book file was created by the publisher, and tend to be a feature of more recent books.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
grzzly
Enthusiast

So what exactly is one location? Is it a number of words or a fraction of filesize?

As for the triangle. It means location right? Just worked that out myself. It stays where it is when you jump backwards Yesterday it was at some weird point though but maybe that was just a bug or I didn't look right.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Taken from the Kindle user guide:
Quote:
Progress Indicator
At the bottom of every page of your reading material, you can see where you are by glancing at the progress bar. The start location indicates the starting point for your current reading session. As you progress further into the content, you will see a solid bar growing longer to indicate your overall reading progress. The progress bar shows structural marks within content such as articles, bookmarks, notes, or highlights. The progress bar also indicates how far you’ve read during your current reading session.
In books, the progress indicator also shows you the overall percentage of the book you have read and a numeric location of where you are reading, so you can easily find a particular passage or reference it to your friends. Locations are the digital answer to page numbers. Changing the text size on Kindle also changes the page numbering, but with locations, you return to the same place every time regardless of the text size.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
grzzly
Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I missed that in the guide, sorry.

So it's depended on words.
I just calculated it. It is 23 words per location according to calculation but it is rounded on the bottom so it ranges around 23. In case anyone else is interested
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzzly View Post
Thank you very much. I missed that in the guide, sorry.

So it's depended on words.
I just calculated it. It is 23 words per location according to calculation but it is rounded on the bottom so it ranges around 23. In case anyone else is interested
Sort of..... it's 128 bytes of information, which includes spaces, formatting codes (italics, superscripts, paragraph breaks, etc.). There are things that take up space even though they aren't displayed on the screen.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote