Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #1
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
nightmode patch not working correctly

Hi
New to this forum, looking forward to hang around and hopefully being able to contribute

Bought a Kobo Glo HD and installed the patch for the nightmode. But it doesn't seem to work accordingly. Have browsed older threads, but couldn't find a solution.

I used the .tgz file from the H20 build, since I couldn't find any Brightness section in the nightmode.ini file after installing the .tgz file from the build13 patch.

[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes
timeout = 4
0 = toggleNightMode

After rebooting the Glo, it's possible to togge to nightmode by dragging the light slider to 0 %. The strange thing is that even though I set timeout to 4 s, it toggle to nightmode even without holding on to the slider during 4s.

The main problem with this is that I can't turn the frontlight off and keep the daymode, since it's change to nightmode even with not holding the slider on 0% for 4s.

Have I missed something? If I set timeout 4s, should I not have to hold on to the slider for 4s for it to toggle into nightmode? And if I don't hold on for 4 s, then it just turns off the frontlight but stays in daymode?

I don't want to use 100%, since it would cause the 100% brightness to irritate my girlfriend when dragging the slider to 100% in bed. Even I get a little irritated by the heavy light until it switch to nightmode. And using any other fixed number is difficult to achive with the slider and could also accidently toggle into nightmode.

Is there a way to use 0% (or whatever number) but with mandatory holding the slider for e.g. 4s to enabling the toggling into nightmode? So when I just want to continue daymode and turn off the frontlight, I then just slide it to 0% and release the slider immediately instead of holding it for e.g. 4 s to toggle into nightmode.

Hope you understand my somewhat strange English...
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
You haven't missed anything, that's the way the mod works.

You could try something like 1% which would still be fairly easy to reach since you're using the nightmode mod you should be able to adjust the brightness percentage in 1% increments. So slide it to 0% then tap to 1%, wait, and then adjust up to what you find comfortable after nightmode is activated.

Editing to clarify

The mod works by allowing the switch to happen after 4 seconds of the brightness control being set to a certain level. You do not need to actually have your finger on the slider for those 4 seconds. It may be possible to require you have your finger on the slider, the Kobo certainly understands short press versus long press. Even with that it may not be possible, I'm not sure of the limits of where the Kobo looks for short or long press, or if it just always does so. This would require changes to the mod, which I do not know how to implement. But perhaps the creator of it could help you.

Last edited by MGlitch; 04-22-2016 at 12:02 PM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Okej, thanks for clearing things a bit and your tip.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I'd forgotten, but there is an alternative method.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257246

I have not used it, but instead of using the brightness control, this puts icons on your Kobo homescreen which would toggle nightmode on and off. It should work for the Glo HD since it was developed for Kobos which lacked the physical button to turn the light off and on.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I just tried that alternate method today (this post actually prompted me to look into it again), and it works perfect on my Glo HD. I'm on firmware 3.18.0.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2016, 04:29 AM   #6
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I'd forgotten, but there is an alternative method.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257246

I have not used it, but instead of using the brightness control, this puts icons on your Kobo homescreen which would toggle nightmode on and off. It should work for the Glo HD since it was developed for Kobos which lacked the physical button to turn the light off and on.
I tried it, but it seems that it puts the icons in the library acting as books. See my post about it. Or I must have done something wrong.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=257246&page=3

At least I now know I got the right reader for me. Since all readers are quite simplyfied and not that user friendly, at least with this one there seem to be a lot of mods done and a very lively community, which I like.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Where did you find this nightmode that works with the Kobo Glo HD ?

I've only found http://dbeinder.github.io/kobo-nightmode/ which seems to be different.
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
Where did you find this nightmode that works with the Kobo Glo HD ?

I've only found http://dbeinder.github.io/kobo-nightmode/ which seems to be different.
I'm using nightmode on my Glo HD (I am running an older fw). I thought it was the standard nightmode patch (using the brihtness slider), but it may be this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=512
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo glo hd, nightmode