hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
hooked on the brand or..?

if amazon comes out with their own reader that:
- would wirelessly receive ebooks from their bookstore
- would not support any other format or service
- would have similar or better technical features than the sony 505
- would cost $50

then, will you get the amazon or stick with the branded devices (sony, etc)?

Last edited by hello; 10-06-2007 at 06:51 AM.
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't buy devices based on their "brand", but on their features.

A device which ONLY let me read commercial eBooks from Amazon, and didn't allow me to load my own content, no, I wouldn't buy that, even if it was $1. Most of the books I read are not "commercial" ones, but self-created PG books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If Amazon sold a reader better than the Sony Reader for $50, I don't think most of us would be able to buy it - it would be continually sold out!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was looking for "Yes, if Amazon carried every book in the world." I couldn't care less about the brand, but I don't want to be locked into one brand that won't read the books I want.

(Besides, as ugly as Kindle is, $50 may still be too much!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
defzeppelin
defzeppelin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Is that REALLY how the Kindle looks like; Is that just a prototype? Are they going to improve on the design? If not, oh boy.
defzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I was looking for "Yes, if Amazon carried every book in the world." I couldn't care less about the brand, but I don't want to be locked into one brand that won't read the books I want.

(Besides, as ugly as Kindle is, $50 may still be too much!)
The problem we have here is not every ebook is available in every ebook format. So no matter what reader you purchase, you'll be locked into one format thanks to our friend DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by defzeppelin View Post
Is that REALLY how the Kindle looks like; Is that just a prototype? Are they going to improve on the design? If not, oh boy.
Nobody knows. I don't know of one person who liked the design as seen in old leaked FCC photos.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
If the Kindle is $50, I'd buy it TOO.
I love how many formats the Sony Reader supports (though it could do more :-) ).
I also thing the added bulk of a keyboard, bigger battery, evdo, etc makes it a little too big for my taste.
I'm not hooked on the brand (especially Sony), but the Kindle doesn't look like the perfect answer.
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Nobody knows. I don't know of one person who liked the design as seen in old leaked FCC photos.
Yes you do. I like it.

It's so ugly that it's beautiful.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
If it would only read their books I'd want it to be free unless they had a huge selection of books and the savings over the pbook price was much more substantial that we're currently seeing at other stores.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Ha ha! That $50 price tag is a pipe-dream in this current age, it'll take a few years for it to drop that low.

I agree with what most have said here, I don't rely on brand so much as funtionality and "does it do what I want it to and is visually appealing to me." In other words, if it's locked to Amazon-only format; won't even bother unless it gets hacked and I can convert my exisitng content over, and if it's ugly as sin, I wouldn't bother either.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote