Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
ghost text is landscape mode

Hi

when I try to switch to landscape mode ghost text appears on my reader's screen.
even the little black bar that displays the page numbers gets corrupted.

Interestingly I could get the same problem with LRF generated by JAP (Just Another Printer) even though I was using the portrait mode.

I'm wondering if somehow the page dimensions of the document can cause these problems.
I mean... it's clearly a bug in the firmware but maybe we can find the workaround.

do you have similar experience?

Another weird thing: landscape mode used to work properly before... not it does not

thanks
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you sure you're not talking about the "ghosting" which indicates the overlap between the top and bottom half of the page?

In landscape mode, the Reader shows each page in two halves, first the top and then the bottom half, and the "overlap" between them is indicated by "ghosted" text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

hi Harry

yes I am sure.
I know what you're talking about... my problem is totally different.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you take a photo and post it here so we can see what you are talking about?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
sic
Addict

I'll try

however... if you've ever experienced this you'll know what I'm talking about without any photo
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But I've never experienced it. My reader works fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
sic
Addict

FYI: I ran the latest firmware upgrade but it did not fix the problem.

It appears to me as if the reader printed the text and then again printed it over a second time just this time the text is shifted downwards about 1cm

I tried a soft-reset but it didn't help
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Mine does the exact same thing in landscape mode. Luckily I never use landscape so I'm good.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I too found the landscape mode of the Reader rather unusable. What where they thinking when they made those ghosting halves on the top and the bottom a feature?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It does seem odd that the Reader doesn't simply repaginate for landscape mode and display it as normal, consecutive pages rather than the "top half / bottom half" thing. Perhaps it's a consession made specifically for display of PDFs which can't be repaginated?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 AM   #11
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I have it as well. The funny thing is that when the Reader was new it worked fine. But after a few months it started to show this problem. It is really unusable. But I don't mind since I never use landscape.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
sic
Addict

thanks guys, it's good to know I'm not the only one.

I was giving a try to the JAP (Just Another Printer) program, which TeleRead blogged about recently - but actually took from the MobileRead wiki
it's a great piece of software that would be great...
IF THE LANDSCAPE MODE WOULDN'T BE BUGGY