Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
GAM
GAM began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
A host of stupid noob questions

Greetings, I recently took receipt of my spiffy new Pocketbook 902 Pro. It has nice PDF rendering for my (mostly) scientific PDF reading, the main reason for purchase. However I have a few simple questions for which I don't see answers, or at least not where I have looked. So here goes:
1. If reading a PDF and there is an embedded link, is there anyway to select it so it opens the onboard browser?
2. I have figured out most of the browser operations, however, is there a convenient way to import bookmarks to it? Also the mobile version gives an error* on the Google home page. Is there any way to make this go away aside from deselecting the mobile page in lieu of the classic page?
*"This page contains the following errors:error on line 3 at column 2500: Entity 'nbsp' not defined. Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error."
3. The BookLand selection is a bit sparse compared to many other sites. Are there any detailed instructions to install the Android Kindle reader on PB902 anywhere or should I just wait for their Android tablet version to show up? Same for Barnes and Noble or Border's reader, I don't care which store I use as long as I can grab Terry Pratchett books…

I have noted one quirk. When I first turn on my PB902, it seems to show a fully discharged battery, but after a few operations (button presses) the battery's bars slowly display until the all of them fill in. This fooled me for quite a while into thinking the battery was somehow discharging while off.
GAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
1. While PDF links are supported, I don't expect it's connected to opening the web browser.

2. No built-in function, but the browser is in fact Midori and uses the standard xbel format. You'll find the bookmarks in system/midori/bookmarks.xbel.

3. The pocketbook e-ink readers do not run Android, so cannot run programs built for that. You are not restricted to Bookland, however; aside from a plethora of unrestricted formats with fbreader and so on, the included AdobeViewer handles both ePub and PDF files mangled with Adobe DRM. Look for instructions on using Adobe Digital Editions in your prospective webshops.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
GAM

Thanks for the clear answers. I will use my PB902 as I intended in the first place and perhaps Bookland will eventually catch up with its stocked books. One other observation is that the Bookland web interface could be improved for ease of searching/browsing. Cheers.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
GAM

To update my own question. Google eBooks carries Adobe DRM-type books with a huge selection and…Terry Pratchett's books are there. Hurrah! I have not tried to to download directly to my PB902, but will give it a go this evening. Worst case, I can download to my home computer then pop it over to the PB902 after the fact. I already have signed up for my Adobe DRM account, so all is good to go. In the US, you PB602 and PB902 owners might want to have a look at the selection. I even found several now-out-of-print AIP physics books on vacuum technology there so I can be well informed no matter where I am should I care to pony up the cash for them.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Oh, and that battery meter misindication is a quirk of the current firmware. I don't know if they'll bother fixing it, as it does show a more helpful value after a few refreshes. It's certainly not one of the more urgent issues.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
install application, pdf link