Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
E-book payment at Amazon

I have a credit at Amazon, but since I have an Amazon Rewards card, I want to take advantage of the 10 percent off promotion when using the card for digital purchases, and save the credit for something else.

Does anyone know what I would need to do to make sure an e-book purchase is charged on the card and not deducted from the store credit?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think you can. If you have an account credit that will automatically be used first. That's my understanding - I'd suggest checking with Amazon CS.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon's funny that way. I hate that they do it. Frequently, I've had to delay buying high ticket items until my credits were used up. With my credit card, I get a second year on the warranty for free; but only if the ENTIRE purchase was made with my credit card. Promotional credits and gift cards used on the purchase will deny me that additional warranty.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
I have a credit at Amazon, but since I have an Amazon Rewards card, I want to take advantage of the 10 percent off promotion when using the card for digital purchases, and save the credit for something else.
What 10% promotion?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the responses. I wonder if I can get around it by using the credit to buy myself a gift card, and then not activating it till after the promotion. Hmm.

JoeD, I misspoke when I said 10 percent off promotion. It's actually 10 rewards points for each dollar spent on digital downloads using the Amazon-branded Visa card. Usually it's 3 rewards points. Since 2500 points = $25 Amazon gift card, 10 rewards points per dollar are equivalent to a 10 percent rebate. Promotion lasts till the end of the year.
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks for the responses. I wonder if I can get around it by using the credit to buy myself a gift card, and then not activating it till after the promotion. Hmm.
That should certainly work, yes.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or you could buy some potato peelers or other non-digital items
Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That should certainly work, yes.
Looks like it won't. I went through the ordering process, except for the final step of actually placing the order, and apparently a gift card will be charged to my credit card. How annoying.

The next option I am considering is to place preorders to tie up the credit balance.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks like it won't. I went through the ordering process, except for the final step of actually placing the order, and apparently a gift card will be charged to my credit card. How annoying.

The next option I am considering is to place preorders to tie up the credit balance.
Have you spoken to customer service? They are extremely helpful.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I don't think preorders will tie up your gift card credit balance - preorders are NOT charged to you until they are shipped to you.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
JoeD, I misspoke when I said 10 percent off promotion. It's actually 10 rewards points for each dollar spent on digital downloads using the Amazon-branded Visa card. Usually it's 3 rewards points. Since 2500 points = $25 Amazon gift card, 10 rewards points per dollar are equivalent to a 10 percent rebate. Promotion lasts till the end of the year.
Is it a amazon.com only promotion, can't see anything on the co.uk site about it?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I don't think preorders will tie up your gift card credit balance - preorders are NOT charged to you until they are shipped to you.
Yes, this is correct.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you spoken to customer service? They are extremely helpful.
I've tried that several times in the past and was always told there was nothing they can do. That's the way the system is set up. I was told to spend the credits on something else until I had a zero balance. Then, and only then, would my credit card be charged in full for the item I wanted.

That system is very lame and it ticks me off whenever I have a credit balance.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Is it a amazon.com only promotion, can't see anything on the co.uk site about it?
Here's the link to the promo.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I just preordered a DVD set, and my credit was reduced by the amount of the preorder.

ETA: Charging a credit card for a preorder would be making me pay weeks or months in advance. But with a credit balance on my account, Amazon already has my money well in advance, so reducing the balance for a preorder makes sense.

Last edited by Catlady; 11-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.