Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #46
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
As a follow-up message to my previous messages, I have determined that the issues I was encountering appear to be caused by the way the free WiFi is setup to require some action with a browser before it will permit access to the network. This is made more difficult by what appears to be some sort of caching of the browser built into my Kindle 3.

Does anyone have some sort of script that can deal with these handshakes requiring manual browser intervention? For example, the free WiFi at McDonald's a click on a "connect" button on the first page it displays followed by clicking a check-box and another button on the second page before access is permitted. This takes a while to accomplish given the "speed" of the kindle browser.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #47
bubnikv
bubnikv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
anybody could compile a ncurses based mp3 player?

Hi gang.

I thought a ncurses mp3 would be a great companion to Kindle, either running the KindleTerm kindlet or native terminal.

Anybody has the cross compiler environment set up and willing to give it a try? Following sounds like a good candidate to me:

http://cmus.sourceforge.net/

Thanks, Vojtech
bubnikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #48
bubnikv
bubnikv began at the beginning.

how to keep the Kindle alive when streaming?

Hi gang.

Is there a way to keep the kindle awake while streaming from Internet?
I have to press a key ever 10 minutes not to let it fall asleep.

Quickly after falling asleep WiFi is being disconnected to conserve power.

Thanks, Vojtech
bubnikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #49
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Timer

Since this makes the Kindle perfect for listening to online radio during the night I'm wondering if we could have a timer for the kindle so that for example it shuts down the Kindle or the Mplayer process after a specified time.
?
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #50
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is already a timer as noted by bubnikv, your kindle will go to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity and will shutdown the WiFi. Once the WiFi shuts down mplayer will halt when the buffers are emptied.

What would be nice would be as he requested, to have some optional way to avoid the timeout. I would think the best way to handle this would be for continuous internet activity at 32 kbps or higher to be assumed as an active download/stream and for this to disable the default timeout behavior if desired.

It would be nice if this could be added somehow to the settings for the kindle, but I have no idea what is involved in doing so. I would assume that in the worst case a launchpad started app could insert an innocuous keystroke every 5 minutes or so while it is running. This of course would require a second short cut to disable the app when you want to resume default behavior.

Dave
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #51
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubnikv View Post
Is there a way to keep the kindle awake while streaming from Internet?
I have to press a key ever 10 minutes not to let it fall asleep.

Quickly after falling asleep WiFi is being disconnected to conserve power.
Just change line 35 of control.sh from
Code:
        $MPLAYER -loop 0 -playlist $1 &
to
Code:
        ( lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 1; $MPLAYER -loop 0 -playlist $1; lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0 ) &
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #52
dhdurgee
Guru

Thanks for the pointer, this will certainly do the trick if you want to always disable the screen saver when using mplayer. Is this a global or local setting? I am thinking it might be more flexible to setup a set of short cut keys to disable and enable the screen saver if this is a global setting.

Dave

PS: Just saw your posting about this in the launchpad thread. Thanks again!

Last edited by dhdurgee; 03-09-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: further information
Old 03-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #53
d_creber
d_creber began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post

basically anything without DRM should work
I've been trying to get the bbc radio streams to work - they seem to be asx format. any ideas where i'm going wrong?

http://bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r2.asx
d_creber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #54
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_creber View Post
I've been trying to get the bbc radio streams to work - they seem to be asx format. any ideas where i'm going wrong?

http://bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r2.asx
The same problem I had, they are providing a play list as opposed to a stream for you. You will need to edit your control.sh and add something similar to:

InternetPlaylistLoad() {
curl -s "$@" | grep :// | sed 's/File[0-9][0-9]*=//' >/tmp/mplayer.playlist
loadplaylist /tmp/mplayer.playlist
}

prior to the case statement and add a case for each station eg:

r2)
InternetPlaylistLoad "http://bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r2.asx"
;;

You will then need to edit the mplayer.ini to add a key mapping to start the play list playing.

Dave

PS: please note that I said similar to, you might need to modify the sed arguments to extract the stream URLs.

A little further testing shows you might need:

curl -s "$@" | grep :// | sed 's/[^I]*<ref href="//' | sed 's/" \/>//' >/tmp/mplayer.playlist

where I have a slightly different statement above.

Last edited by dhdurgee; 03-12-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: further clarification
Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #55
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
basically anything without DRM should work
That was an answer to question about local files playback. It is more complicated with internet streaming. I do not really care about internet streaming (my primary aim are audiobooks - Kindle is not suited for music playback in my opinion) but you can try
Code:
mplayer -playlist http://bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r2.asx
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #56
twotools
twotools began at the beginning.

I'm a little thick about this, but I can't seem to get mplayer to play any music from my mounted music directory. Nothing fancy, just some mp3s, but pressing shift-m-a does nothing. Do I need to manually create a playlist for locally mounted files for mplayer to work?
twotools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #57
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotools View Post
I'm a little thick about this, but I can't seem to get mplayer to play any music from my mounted music directory. Nothing fancy, just some mp3s, but pressing shift-m-a does nothing. Do I need to manually create a playlist for locally mounted files for mplayer to work?
Are you seeing the diagnostic [^ M A] at the bottom of your screen in portrait mode? Are you pressing the keys in rapid sequence? Your above shift-m-a suggests you are pressing them simultaneously as opposed to sequentially.

Dave
Old 03-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #58
twotools
twotools began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Are you seeing the diagnostic [^ M A] at the bottom of your screen in portrait mode? Are you pressing the keys in rapid sequence? Your above shift-m-a suggests you are pressing them simultaneously as opposed to sequentially.

Dave
Yeah, I get the ^ [M A] output, as well as a 'Success!' indicator. Just that no music comes out of the speakers. My music is in a directory called 'music' in the root of the drive, so there shouldn't be any problems on that end.

Edit: reinstalled jailbreak, launchpad, and mplayer in that order and it all works now! No idea what happened previously but it's all good

Last edited by twotools; 03-22-2011 at 06:38 AM.
twotools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #59
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Very nice hack - thanks. I'm using 3.1 on the Kindle 3 - wifi and it works a charm. I am listening to a uni lecture right now. I have also tested out the dictaphone app with this - noice, very useful when studying. I have created a text file with all the shortcuts just in case I forget .

PS - the rotate hack is also wicked hot when reading pdfs. That was such a PITA.

Last edited by Tanga; 03-23-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: EDIT: removed the txt editor grumble coz I changed my address in amazon. Needed that. =)
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #60
nixnick
nixnick began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubnikv View Post
Hi gang.

I thought a ncurses mp3 would be a great companion to Kindle, either running the KindleTerm kindlet or native terminal.

Anybody has the cross compiler environment set up and willing to give it a try? Following sounds like a good candidate to me:

http://cmus.sourceforge.net/

Thanks, Vojtech
cmus sounds like an easy way to hack some gui into kindle...
i'd prefer making some kind of overlay gui for the kindle, which should be fairly easy once i determine a way to draw on the eink display and catch keys...

i had another idea today: since the kindle speakers (mine is wifi+3g eu) are quite good, i'd love to use them as a alarm clock with my mp3's...
does anyone know a way of scheduling a script/program without having to burn the battery the whole night while sleep()ing?
nixnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, mplayer, music, ogg, streaming