Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
tweebee
Enthusiast
tweebee doesn't littertweebee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Calibre Portable questions

I'm new to Calibre and I've been building my library in the portable version. I have some questions.

1) I moved my library to a new location. The new location is in the same folder as the default Calibre library, all under Calibre Portable folder. When I open Calibre, it always open the default library rather than my library in the new location. Is there a way that I can set it to open my library as the default?

2) Are there any pros and cons to using the portable version vs Calibre for Windows? I like the portable version because everything is self-contained. I'm wondering if I'm missing out on any features that the Windows version have that the portable one doesn't.

Thanks for your help!
tweebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
WendyR14
WendyR14 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle; ipad; netbook
No responses?

I have the same issue. I have calibre-portable installed in my Dropbox folder. I also have my library in a (different) folder in dropbox. It all works perfectly well to let me be synchronised from home, to work, to my laptop, EXCEPT that every time I run Calibre it opens with a blank library & I have to manually quick switch. It takes just 2 clicks - but I'm cross with myself that I can't fix it.

Any advice?
WendyR14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyR14 View Post
I have the same issue. I have calibre-portable installed in my Dropbox folder. I also have my library in a (different) folder in dropbox. It all works perfectly well to let me be synchronised from home, to work, to my laptop, EXCEPT that every time I run Calibre it opens with a blank library & I have to manually quick switch. It takes just 2 clicks - but I'm cross with myself that I can't fix it.

Any advice?
Calibre portable will always open the library contained in the Calibre Library folder, see attached. Simply place your library in this folder and your library will open by default.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_portable.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	77835   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_portable-2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	77836  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-15-2011 at 11:51 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
WendyR14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Calibre portable will always open the library contained in the Calibre Library folder, see attached. Simply place your library in this folder and your library will open by default.
Yes I figured that's what's happening; my library is in Dropbox so what I'm seeking (I guess) is how to point Calibre to the specific location of the library. My folder is called Calibre Library but of course it's actual full path changes depending on which computer the portable version is run from (XP or Win7 for instance).
Old 10-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyR14 View Post
Yes I figured that's what's happening; my library is in Dropbox so what I'm seeking (I guess) is how to point Calibre to the specific location of the library. My folder is called Calibre Library but of course it's actual full path changes depending on which computer the portable version is run from (XP or Win7 for instance).
Running calibre portable you can't change the default library, it will always start the same library location regardless of what the path is. My library is in dropbox too and I run on XP at home and Win 7 at work. The path doesn't make a difference. Just run your calibre portable from the dropbox too. See the previous images for the relative position. As long as your library files are in the default relative location everything will be fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
WendyR14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Running calibre portable you can't change the default library, it will always start the same library location regardless of what the path is. My library is in dropbox too and I run on XP at home and Win 7 at work. The path doesn't make a difference. Just run your calibre portable from the dropbox too. See the previous images for the relative position. As long as your library files are in the default relative location everything will be fine.
Fixed it - don't know why I didn't twig before that the problem was that my Calibre Library wasn't a sub-folder of the Calibre Portable folder. My Calibre Library has to be in the public folder (so that I can use Calibre2opds) but I just put Calibre Portable at root of Dropbox and kept pointing at the actual library.

All sorted ow I've thought logically.