Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
fncll
Enthusiast
fncll began at the beginning.

Question Converting Dictionary (MOBI to EPUB), remove page breaks

I have a dictionary in MOBI format that I'd like to convert to a more readable EPUB. The primary problem is that, when converting with Calibre, the resulting EPUB has 5950+ page breaks/html files (one per entry). Not sure how to approach reducing this?
fncll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why does the number of files bother you? If you dont want calibre to split the HTML on pages, use the option to control that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
fncll
Enthusiast

Three things bother me, in order of descending importance:

1. Browsing the book with all the page breaks is frustrating. I'd like to rid the book of page breaks after every individual (usually single short paragraph or fewer) entry.

2. I hope, if there are fewer HTML pages in the EPUB, that it won't take so long to open and re-flow in Calibre's reader?

3. I assume, since the conversion process takes 6 times as long as books of equivalent length, and watching the verbose output shows that almost all of that times comes from writing individual pages, that it would be significantly faster.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, like I said, use the option to control that, IIRC it is under EPUB Output in the conversion dialog.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
fncll
Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll try it out. Unfortunately I don't think the option mentioned helps with problem #1. But maybe it will help with #2, which I routinely encounter. Since #3 is a one-time thing, it's less important!
Advert
Old 12-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can use the filter style information conversion option to remove page-break-after CSS from the book entirely for (1)