Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #76
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I'd love to see what the K3 and K4 screen look like with no border at all. Just the screens with text. The colour of the border can influence how the background and text look so take this away and see how it looks on its own. That would be a good comparison to tell if the screens really are different in any way. Well, sounds good to me anyway.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #77
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
here you go, attached are the bastards...
Wow okay so the bezel does come into play largely on this. I am getting me a black skin when they come out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #78
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Wow okay so the bezel does come into play largely on this. I am getting me a black skin when they come out.
sorry actually i made a stupid mistake, i used K3 fonts with k4 background and vise versa... please check out the updated images in my previous post for the correct mockup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
I'd love to see what the K3 and K4 screen look like with no border at all. Just the screens with text. The colour of the border can influence how the background and text look so take this away and see how it looks on its own. That would be a good comparison to tell if the screens really are different in any way. Well, sounds good to me anyway.
attached 2 more mockup for just the screens in my previous post.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #79
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it's the poor rendering engine in the nook doing it. I've compared the exact same font on the nook with my 650 and the 650 looked better easily. The fonts almost looked like two different fonts. The nook had too many thin bits to the font that are not supposed to be there.
Sony has that magic 'saturation/contrast' adjustment. I bet you could make the fonts look as bad as Nook's, by taking that down a couple of notches.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #80
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
sorry actually i made a stupid mistake, i used K3 fonts with k4 background and vise versa... please check out the updated images in my previous post for the correct mockup.

attached 2 more mockup for just the screens in my previous post.
I still think the K4 in black looks better. I know it's trick of the eyes but right now I need to trick my eyes. I hope skins for the K4 comes out soon!
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #81
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
My K4 looks good! But all this analysis is interesting to read.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #82
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
here you go, attached are the bastards...

Edit: updated images
The bastards!

So, with no border at all the K4 has a lighter background and darker text... tricky, tricky eyes. It's just the black border on the K3 that makes it look lighter when it's really not.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #83
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
I bought the whole "graphite enhances contrast" idea until I saw a white k3 and it doesnt look any different than my graphite.

The bevel may affect perceived lightness of the background of the device on its own, but I think if you have them side by side it's harder to fool your eyes.

It's like Tom Cruise can look big by himself, but you put him next to a 6'2 guy and he looks small. Hence, camera angles and the milk crate

In any event, if one thing looks better than another to me, I don't know if it helps to know that's just my human visual system messing with me. It's not like I'm going to replace my eyes with Terminator vision.

Of course according to Buddhism, the physical universe is an illusion, so once I accept that there is no kindle, I can stop worrying about this.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #84
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

It's like Tom Cruise can look big by himself, but you put him next to a 6'2 guy and he looks small. Hence, camera angles and the milk crate ...
Bubble burst.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #85
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Bubble burst.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #86
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I did some colorimeter measurements of both screens (and Kindle 2 and Kindle 1 to boot as well). Here are the results: Kindle 4 vs Kindle 3 screen comparison.

To me and my colorimeter Kindle 3 and Kindle 4 screens look very similar to the point of me declaring them identical.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #87
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
ohsnap! Emyprical evidence in an online forum. UR IN OUR INTERNETZ!
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #88
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
To me and my colorimeter Kindle 3 and Kindle 4 screens look very similar to the point of me declaring them identical.
thanks for sharing your info, now we have few more actual measurements. And that's pretty much my conclusion as well for the 3 readers I've measured because they're all within the specifications of eInk's published spec sheet http://www.eink.com/sell_sheets/pear...ll%20sheet.pdf

I'm not sure if it's your ereaders or your measuring instrument(more likely), the "white state" lightness(screen's background) seems a bit low for both @ 64 comparing to the spec of 70. My i1 spectrophotometer shows both the K3 & K4 at about 70.

Last edited by shinew; 10-12-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #89
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I'm using Spyder 3 Print SR
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #90
shinew
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
I'm using Spyder 3 Print SR
a colorimeter should work just as well depending on the quality of the RGB filters inside and its calibration tolerance. Although Datacolor is the only company I'm aware that uses a colorimeter for reflective measurement, instead of its usual emissive measurement role. On the other hand, spectrophotometers has been used for decades for both emissive & reflective measurements, so I personally trust my specto little more.

Anyway, IMO it's either your K3 & K4's eInk Pearl screens are out of spec or your spyder3print SR is not accurate. A dE of 4.8 from the spec is too large to ignore.