Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
wellington
wellington began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How many actual reading hours do you estimate...

...that you get from a single battery charge. I got a nook recently and am a bit distressed by the battery performance. I'm not sure if I was expecting too much or if I got a bad battery.

I'm on my second charge now and it seems like I'm getting 8-10 hours of reading per charge. Also, I've noticed that where sleep mode used to use maybe 1% of the battery overnight, it's now more like 6-8%. I've always had airplane mode on, and the touchscreen timeout at the lowest, with the lowest brightness and auto-adjust off.

When I first got it I charged it up right away, but it wouldn't charge beyond 86% (though now it does charge to 100). I wonder if this is makes a difference? Mine came with the 1.4 firmware on it.

So how does your experience compare? What do you think?
wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Are you using an AC wall charger, Wellington? I know that made the world of a difference to my Sony's charge. Don't know about Nook, but certainly the battery level meters on some devices can be over-optimistic to say the least. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
wellington
wellington began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Are you using an AC wall charger, Wellington?
Good point. I do use the adapter to charge right from an outlet, as opposed to usb charging. I probably wouldn't even mind the battery issue (or at least I'd mind it less) if I could read while it was plugged in. You only get a short 3 feet or so of cable though, making it kind of tricky.

How many hours would you say you can get out of a full charge on your Sony?
wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
I have the same problem. Probably get 10 hours on it before I need to charge again. The first charge also stopped at 86% for me. It works now and fully charges but I am disappointed in how fast the battery drains. Some have said that this might be because of the 1.4 firmware.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
JohnInNaperville
JohnInNaperville began at the beginning.

I have also noticed about 10 hours of reading on a charge. Airplane mode, quickest timeout and lowest brightness... I found that if I plugged the adapter into a simple extension cord, it removed the 3 foot cord problem. Mostly I just charge it at night.
JohnInNaperville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I read for about 2 hours a day (more if I can find the time) and I generally find that I recharge overnight every 4-5 days. Of course, I'm one of those people who recharges whenever the battery indicator has a third or so left.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I have been reading for about 5 days, battery down to about 25%. That's at least 1.5 to 2 hours of reading a day.

EDIT: I also never turn off the unit, and always on Airplane mode (no wifi).
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
I have been reading for about 5 days, battery down to about 25%. That's at least 1.5 to 2 hours of reading a day.

EDIT: I also never turn off the unit, and always on Airplane mode (no wifi).
That's about my experience.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I've had the nook for two weeks and the battery life is not too impressive. It is 1.4 firmware and I charged it via the wall outlet. The battery drains at a rate of 6% per hour in reading mode with airplane on and display set to the lowest. With WiFi on, it drains at 20% per hour. Even in sleep mode, it drains at 1/2% per hour. Turn off and on takes 3% of the battery.

I now leave the unit turn off at night. I turn it on after work and read an average of 2 hours per night with bare minimum occasional WiFi on just to download the books. I need to recharge every 4 days. This is manageable since I bought the nook for travel so as long as I get a full day of heavy usage per charge (assuming 2 hours WiFi and 8 hours reading), I'm ok. I have outlet at home and I can always get to an outlet at the end of the day when I travel. However, I am annoyed that even in sleep mode, I'm not getting the advertized 10 days battery life (at the rate of 5% drain per hour, it'll discharge entirely in approx 8 days). I love my nook but the battery life could be better. I am also wondering if there is a bug in the 1.4 Firmware that is causing the battery drain. Hopefully B&N can fix it.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
lionel47
Addict

Does anybody know how this compares to the iPad? I mean, I have to charge my iPhone at least once daily. In light of that, every 4-5 days seems like a luxury to me.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I get about 8-10 hours with iPad, but that is surfing with wifi.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I do not have an iPad but according to Apple’s official tech specs for the iPad makes the following claim with regards to the battery:

Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

It seems various reviews have confirmed the 10 hour battery life for iPad. This is very impressive. The iPad gets 10 hours web surfing with full screen LCD and Wi-Fi on. Most laptops get about 2-4 hours. According to the discussion here, the nook gets 10 hours reading time. This is with WiFi off and the small LCD almost off except accidental refresh. If I try to surf the web on the nook with Wi-Fi, the battery will be gone in less than 5 hours.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
I'm wondering if Wifi really shuts off even though airplane mode is on? Maybe it's a bug in the firmware and it's actually still on. They need to look into this because some people have said that they did not have this battery problem with firmware 1.3.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I've only ever had 1.2 (briefly) and then 1.4 firmware, but I'm getting 9-10 hours, like everyone else, in airplane mode and with the LCD set to off at 10 seconds. And only tried the B&N in-store thing once, and it drained the battery from under half (40%?) to a warning in 45 minutes. So it stays in airplane mode.

So I'm charging every two days, which is really annoying compared to the Sony and Bookeen devices I've used. I'm assuming that either Airplane isn't really airplane, or that LCD, even off, must drain some power in order for touchswipe to work.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Does anybody know how this compares to the iPad? I mean, I have to charge my iPhone at least once daily. In light of that, every 4-5 days seems like a luxury to me.
I use my iPad for a couple of hours a day, and recharge once a week, at which point it generally has about 30-40% battery charge remaining. I find that an hour's reading on the iPad, with WiFi and 3G turned off, drains the battery by 2-3%.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote