Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't care about DRM one way or the other. It doesn't affect my reading.
But what Hatchette wants will affect things big time if they get their way. So the answer is for Hatchette not to get what they want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #32
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I think the relationship is in the price. If people think they could easily get the book for free, they will feel like suckers to pay more than a low price
I think that's true for books that don't end up making a good impression (the old "I can't believe I paid good money for this" feeling). For good books, though, I think most readers want to reward the author and encourage further similar works. I would guess that those flogging crap are the ones most threatened by the rubes exercising "try-before-you-buy".

For works by dead authors, though, I think you're probably bang on.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what Hatchette wants will affect things big time if they get their way. So the answer is for Hatchette not to get what they want.
It won't stop me from reading books. So I don't care what they do.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #34
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
If DRM was more effective, perhaps Hatchette would feel comfortable licensing their eBooks to libraries.
If DRM were *capable* of being more effective, the digital marketplace would be very, very different.

DRM does not and *cannot* do what Hatchette and several other companies want it to do: restrict readers (or listeners, or watchers) to 1 person, or 1 family, per purchase. And the stricter the DRM, the more creative the evasions will be.

This starts with the obvious "scan the book & release the scans," which is what happens with books with no legit digital version. If there's enough interest, someone runs OCR on them. More interest than that, and the OCR text gets corrected, and maybe formatted into epub or mobi.

Also: If Hatchette were worried that DRM doesn't work well enough for libraries, why does it work well enough for their books for sale? It's not like the Overdrive DRM is easier to crack. Seems that their objection to libraries is based on unpaying readers having legitimate access, rather than worries about unauthorized unpaying readers... because they get plenty of those from their books for sale. Do they really think people who borrowed a library book are more likely to crack and distribute than people who bought it?

This is nothing more than an attempt to force authors into a single business model, so they can continue to blame "piracy" for their failure to adapt to the modern market.

I do hope authors are watching out for this clause in upcoming contracts, because it's the kind of thing that can destroy an author's career. Hatchette, of course, doesn't mind at all if an author can't sell their backlist on Smashwords and can't sell the movie rights because they can't guarantee the movie will be released with DRM.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #35
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I do hope authors are watching out for this clause in upcoming contracts, because it's the kind of thing that can destroy an author's career. Hatchette, of course, doesn't mind at all if an author can't sell their backlist on Smashwords and can't sell the movie rights because they can't guarantee the movie will be released with DRM.
On that note, there's still a surprising number of authors who feel that the ultimate goal is to be published by a Big Six company, and probably will fall for it. These would be the same people who claim to not like Smashwords because (they claim) they can't revoke Smashwords' non-exclusive license.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #36
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I read in a small genre that has a lot of small independent publishers that sell ebooks, I have bought books from nearly 20 separate sources and the only one of those that uses DRM is Amazon. As a result less than 1% off my ebooks come from Amazon, and most of those were free. With the independent publishers most of them also offer me ePub, PDF and mobi files for the books I buy.

By choice I Never buy a DRM book.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #37
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
This starts with the obvious "scan the book & release the scans," which is what happens with books with no legit digital version. If there's enough interest, someone runs OCR on them. More interest than that, and the OCR text gets corrected, and maybe formatted into epub or mobi.
Then there will be a bunch of different versions floating around, some with a good proofreading job, and some with a bad, and it will be hard to know which to trust. OCR-scan based piracy means less piracy.

Quote:
Do they really think people who borrowed a library book are more likely to crack and distribute than people who bought it?
I don't know what they think. Maybe they have a variety of views. But I think it. People who paid good money for the book are going to be more likely to think others should also pay. (It's true that library borrowers did pay for the book, through their taxes. But some forget that.)

Quote:
Hatchette, of course, doesn't mind at all if an author can't sell their backlist on Smashwords and can't sell the movie rights because they can't guarantee the movie will be released with DRM.
You really think they will stop their books from being made into movies? I don't. If that's what the contract says, it is mistaken and can be changed or ignored.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-19-2012 at 10:08 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
As it turns out, movies *are* DRM'ed. Going into theaters, on DVD, on Blu-Ray, on Ultraviolet, everywhere...

But yes, authors *are* being warned and as pointed out above some agents are not sending manuscripts to Hachette over the clause.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #39
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Then there will be a bunch of different versions floating around, some with a good proofreading job, and some with a bad, and it will be hard to know which to trust. OCR-scan based piracy means less piracy.
Isn't it a better approach to curb piracy? Float many versions of the same book in dark net and cry out loud saying the surest way to get the real book is to shop from us or the retailers rather than pirating. Might work better than DRM :-)
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #40
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I don't know what they think. Maybe they have a variety of views. But I think it. People who paid good money for the book are going to be more likely to think others should also pay.
I don't. I remember all the books I borrowed from friends as a teenager, all my time as a starving college student when someone gave me the book they were done reading, and I think I have an obligation to pay that forward--to share the books I buy, now that I'm the one with disposable income.

I grew up on secondhand books. I don't buy as many ebooks as I could because I can't share them; it feels very selfish to buy a book that I'm just going to throw away when I'm done.

Library books, however... if I borrowed it from a legit source, so can someone else. I don't feel like I'm being wasteful by not sharing it; someone else is taking care of that part for me.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #41
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I think the relationship is in the price. If people think they could easily get the book for free, they will feel like suckers to pay more than a low price.
Never felt that way myself but I guess it's possible.
What definitely makes me less likely to pay full retail price however is DRM. Not so much for e-books, because it's laughably easy to circumvent, but certainly for games.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #42
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I am all for DRM. I realize it is a low fence, and that millions of people around the world jump over fences, whether digital or physical, every day.
More like one person removes the fence, and then millions of people walk back and forth without caring that there used to be a fence there. However, the actual paying customers keep tripping over it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #43
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
It gets especially confusing when the OCR-scan with bad proofreading is the official version, and the higher quality copies are the pirated ones.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #44
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It gets especially confusing when the OCR-scan with bad proofreading is the official version, and the higher quality copies are the pirated ones.
Which is often enough the ugly truth.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
One thing that happens is errors in the official version get fixed and the fixed version then gets rereleased for free downloading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote