Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #301
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Thanks for the info. About 3% is about right. I have several titles which are "Available Soon", too, but I forget to count or see out of how many total. Anyway, my list includes A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, a book of manga, a Fantasy magazine sampler, and I forget what else. I don't detect a pattern here in what they've left for last. Hopefully, Sony will deal with them all in the coming week and I can go back to just grumbling about their pitiful firmware for rendering ebooks on the Readers and on their pitiful rate of adding new content for us to read.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #302
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Of my nearly 300 books, only 5 haven't been converted. One of the Harlequin freebies, Agatha Christie's "Sleeping Murder" and 3 classics, "Sense and Sensibility", "Lady of the Lake", and "Through The Looking Glass". Not that I care about the conversion, I haven't replaced the LRX versions at all. Unless the few that had typos (the Jack Ryan novels by Tom Clancy) have been corrected, I see no need since I'm still using my 505.

Last edited by BeccaAnn; 01-08-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: correcting a title
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #303
kenschunk
kenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enough

Device: History:PRS-505, 700, Kindle-2. Current: Nook 3G, Nook Color
It's been a month since the conversion, and Sony is still missing 4 of the books (3%) in my library. I'm not impressed.
kenschunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #304
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenschunk View Post
It's been a month since the conversion, and Sony is still missing 4 of the books (3%) in my library. I'm not impressed.
I've watched Sony almost daily for the past month and in the past two weeks they've actually slightly reduced the number of books available. If I had to guess the reason why I'd probably say that some of their conversions to epub were found (probably by customers) to be flawed so they've taken them off the shelf to be redone. Perhaps the last 3 or 4% of their books were ones that they were having problems with the conversion. We can only hope that they fix these soon and finally move on.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #305
kenschunk
kenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enough

Device: History:PRS-505, 700, Kindle-2. Current: Nook 3G, Nook Color
Yet another week and still holding at 3 missing. I walked past two PRS-900 readers in boxes at the local Best Buy - as tempting as one was, I won't let myself send any money Sony's way until they get around to finishing the job on the conversion.
kenschunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #306
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past two months Sony have increased by about 0 the number of titles they have for sale at their ebook store. They now have about 125,500 ebooks for sale which is the same number they had in early December before they made the switch to epub. My guess is that they have continued to add new titles to their store but there are still a few thousand ebooks missing (i.e., titles which used to be available in BBeB format but are not available in epub format either because they've had problems doing the conversions or because they simply won't ever be made available). I've checked my previously purchased titles and roughly 5% are not available for me to download in epub format and are still shown as "Available Soon". When is "soon"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	44971  
Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #307
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past four weeks Sony have increased by about 6400 the number of titles they have for sale at their ebook store. They now have about 132,000 ebooks for sale. That's about 230 new books a day which is substantially higher then their more typical 90 or so that they averaged last fall. Some of the new titles may just be ones that they've finally converted to epub from BBeB format. But they still list the same number of my previously purchased titles from Sony that are still listed as "Available Soon" because they've not been converted to epub yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sony.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	47143  
Old 04-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #308
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past five weeks Sony have increased by about 8400 the number of titles they have for sale at their ebook store. That continues from the previous month with about 230 new books a day. They now have about 140,000 ebooks for sale.

There is still no change since December in the number of my previously purchased titles from Sony that are listed as "Available Soon" because they've not been converted to epub yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	49651  
Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #309
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past two weeks Sony have increased by about 10,000 (!) the number of titles they have for sale at their ebook store which is an average of over 750 new titles per day. They now have about 150,000 ebooks for sale. Still no change since December in the number of my previously purchased titles from Sony that are listed as "Available Soon" because they've not been converted to epub yet.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #310
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
In the past two weeks Sony have increased by about 10,000 (!) the number of titles they have for sale at their ebook store which is an average of over 750 new titles per day. They now have about 150,000 ebooks for sale. Still no change since December in the number of my previously purchased titles from Sony that are listed as "Available Soon" because they've not been converted to epub yet.
Well, apparently many of the new titles from the past few weeks are simply double entries of books with one entry being listed as "CAN Only" (Canada) and another for the U.S. (A random example is Harlan Coben's Caught.) I haven't figured out a way to eliminate the duplicates from searches so it looks like Sony have once again foiled my attempts to try to get a clear picture of how many new titles they're adding and how many total titles they have for sale. Maybe I should just finally give this up and go buy a d***ed Kindle.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #311
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Well, apparently many of the new titles from the past few weeks are simply double entries of books with one entry being listed as "CAN Only" (Canada) and another for the U.S. (A random example is Harlan Coben's Caught.) I haven't figured out a way to eliminate the duplicates from searches so it looks like Sony have once again foiled my attempts to try to get a clear picture of how many new titles they're adding and how many total titles they have for sale. Maybe I should just finally give this up and go buy a d***ed Kindle.
You don't need a Kindle. You can use Kindle4PC to buy eBooks from Amazon, strip the DRM, and use Calibre to convert to ePub. Just don't buy any in Topaz.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #312
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

And now: 0

Final Score:

Sony 1 (they made some great hardware to get things going)
Amazon Eleventy (in the end, it's all about content)

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!