Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
sa-mejia
sa-mejia began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
footnotes when converting from odt to mobi

When I use Calibre to convert an html file into a .mobi file, as I click on any footnote, I will be lead directly into the footnote's content. When I am done reading the footnote, I can click on the footnote number to jump back to the the text, exactly where the footnote was quoted.

Unfortunately, this is not the behavior i get when I use Calibre to convert a .odt file into .mobi. In this case, no matter which footnote I click on while reading, it will always lead me to the content of the first footnote (and I then have to flip through the footnotes to get to the one I am looking for. If the document is long, this is a pain). Also, once I am in the footnote section, I can not click on any number to go back to where the text was quoted (I have to necessarily click on the back button).

How can I get Calibre to convert .odt footnotes, so that they behave as they do when I convert them from an .html? (of course, a solution would be to convert the .odt into .html. But this is precisely the step that I am looking to avoid).

Thanks in advance, and thanks for such a great product as Calibre.

Santiago.
sa-mejia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/879391
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
sa-mejia

When I click on the link, it opens an error page that says:

"Lost something?

This page does not exist, or you may not have permission to see it. "
Old 10-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa-mejia View Post
"Lost something?

This page does not exist, or you may not have permission to see it. "
You and I both don't have the proper permissions because this bug has been marked private by the person that submitted it. This often happens when someone attaches a private document to the bug report to allow Kovid to test / replicate the error.

What I did find was the following.
Quote:
10731. By Kovid Goyal 23 hours ago
MOBI Output: Fix use of list elements as link anchors caused links to always point to start of list. Fixes #879391 (Private bug)
This fix should be in the next release 0.8.24
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
sa-mejia

OK. Thanks. Will be looking forward for the next release.

S.
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
sa-mejia

Calibre's new version, 0.8.24, has somewhat fixed the problem. Now each footnote link points to the relevant footnote. However:

1. The footnote page lacks the footnote numbers. Sometimes one can not tell apart where, say, footnote 21 ends and footnote 22 starts.

2. Because the footnote page lacks the footnotes, there is no way to click on the footnote number to go back to the place in the text where the footnote was quoted.

3. The behavior of the cursor in some of the places of the text where there are footnotes is odd. Often times, when there is a footnote in a line, the cursor line doubles, so that it encompass not one line but two.

Santiago.