Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
I occasionally re-read, though not often. I plan to re-read things more than I actually do so. The main reason is time. It takes only 45 minutes on average to listen to an album. That said, there are plenty of albums I've only listened to once, even ones I've enjoyed. There is always so much brand new stuff out there tempting me (see the phrase listed underneath my name, I'm not kidding with that ). But if it's been several years I will. Right now I'm re-watching all the Star trek films for example and some of them I'd only seen once a decade or more ago so I'd forgotten most of it. BTW - yes, Star Trek 5 still sucks.)

Back to the topic, I agree with most of what everyone has said. I may not re-read a book, but that is irrelevent. I don't want to be prohibited from accessing a book I paid for merely because I choose to by a different brand of ereader, or because the store I bought it from went bankrupt. JoeD's post sums it up well.

Last edited by usuallee; 11-08-2012 at 12:13 PM.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
And no, I don't watch movies or videos more than once. Knowing what will happen takes all the fun away, that is probably why I more or less has stopped watching Hollywood productions, they are just too predictable for my liking.
I love watching movies more than once. I frequently forget stuff. Call me Mr Short Attention Span

Oh, and what does "Basculocolpic" mean?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I love watching movies more than once. I frequently forget stuff. Call me Mr Short Attention Span

Oh, and what does "Basculocolpic" mean?
I wondered how long it would take before someone caught up with that one. I wonder if it is listed on Dictionary.com, hmmm.

I do know that your response will be one of these and maybe
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wondered how long it would take before someone caught up with that one. I wonder if it is listed on Dictionary.com, hmmm.

I do know that your response will be one of these and maybe
Playing the cryptic game, eh?

Google's only response is a link to you in MobileRead. I'm going to listen to "Within You Without You" and search for a meaning within the cloud.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Good question that deserves a better answer.
Yes, I listen to music again and again, but I don't expect to encounter anything new. I guess the familiarity is its appeal. And no, I don't watch movies or videos more than once. Knowing what will happen takes all the fun away, that is probably why I more or less has stopped watching Hollywood productions, they are just too predictable for my liking.
For some of us, familiarity is the appeal with books and movies too, as Harry indicated. I have actually reread some books immediately upon finishing them--books where the author has set up a surprise that I never saw coming; I like to see just how the author carefully misdirected me but still played fair.

I don't see how knowing the ending matters; it's the journey that makes the book or movie enjoyable.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Google's only response is a link to you in MobileRead. I'm going to listen to "Within You Without You" and search for a meaning within the cloud.
Well, that was a bust. The only thing it did for me was make me hungry for some special brownies.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Seriously? I have a unique Google word? Not sure what to think about that. Think mammals.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #23
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

"Within You Without You" might be somewhat apt. A colposcope is a device that a gynecologist might use.

A bascule operates like a teeter-totter. One side goes up when the other goes down.

Alternatively, it could be a crazy picture of a Basque. Basque-loco-pic.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Me thinks HarryT will know this.
If you figure it out, give me a heads up so I can change it before the moderators feel I have violated the rules of a family forum.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
mizzlia
mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook tablet 8gb, samsung galaxy tab 10.1 wifi 32gb
I really dont re read books over again unless i have nothing to read which i always do so i havent had a chance to just re read a book
mizzlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Muckraker
Connoisseur
Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
For me, nostalgia is dangerous. I like to keep my favorite books, movies, and video-games shackled to the feeling of wonder I had when I first experienced them. I grew into an extremely critical person and typically the things I loved when I was younger just can't stand up to my present-day criticism.

Most of my attempts to answer the call of nostalgia only end up bleeding through and tainting the original memory or feeling. There are of course some exceptions but for the most part I believe that nothing will ever be better than I remember.

Music is different because it works in reverse for me. I don't like most songs when I first hear them but they grow on me with each subsequent listening. This probably happens because I don't know much about music, and that leaves my critical mind standing there with nothing to do--but dance.

Here are a few of the memories I've hosed while trying to recreate them:
Robert Aspirin books
The Never-Ending Story
The Dark Crystal
AC/DC music
Most Commodore 64 and Amiga video-games
In-N-Out burger (first experienced as a drunk Best Man)
Dairy Queen's Grape Mr. Misty (now called Arctic Rush or something like that)
Sno-Cones from the ice-cream truck
Peeps
The Oz Series of books

Sometimes it works out and my present-day experience is different, evolved, positive, and able to co-exist with an untainted memory, but most of the time entertainment from my past is skewered by my present-day mind. So my favorite works are kept in jars of formaldehyde and I'm always out hunting for new things to preserve--or a Hollywood offering to lop off at the knees.
Muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #27
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Me thinks HarryT will know this.
If you figure it out, give me a heads up so I can change it before the moderators feel I have violated the rules of a family forum.
The closest that I get is "basculation" from the Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary (the one that requires an electron tunneling microscope to read). CEOED says, "A term applied to the movement by which retroversion of the uterus is remedied."

Good news, ladies. If you are currently stuck with an old version of the uterus, upgrades are available. Call your local Basque dealer for all of your uterine needs. "Bask in the glow of a Basque."
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

It is actually above the navel, not beneath.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #29
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't re-read often, but I do liberate and backup all of my ebooks. I don't have kids, but perhaps someone will want them when I keel over. If not, that's OK too.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
It is actually above the navel, not beneath.
Is it something you eat? Mouth is above the navel.