Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You must have missed the term "karma whore". It was used at least once in this discussion..
Time to get out the big red K.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #137
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
The red H's are a bit of silliness that is in no way meant to be mean. People who frequent the Lounge will often get off on tangents about fun things. The whole idea of adding another section is to have a place where discussions will be kept on topic as a tradition. The H's were in reaction to the idea that silliness is bad.

It is not. It is just silly. Discussion on topic is not boring, either. It is just on topic. don't take offense at my H and I won't take offense at being called a Karma Whore, okay?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #138
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
The red H's are a bit of silliness that is in no way meant to be mean. People who frequent the Lounge will often get off on tangents about fun things. The whole idea of adding another section is to have a place where discussions will be kept on topic as a tradition. The H's were in reaction to the idea that silliness is bad.

It is not. It is just silly. Discussion on topic is not boring, either. It is just on topic. don't take offense at my H and I won't take offense at being called a Karma Whore, okay?
A few months ago there was also a big red L going around. At the time I believe it stood for Loser but not in a bad way. It harkened to a time when some people would make an L out of their forefinger and thumb and place it on their forehead.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #139
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It harkened to a time when some people would make an L out of their forefinger and thumb and place it on their forehead.

Dale
Yes, I still do that. Guess I am either old or lame.

BOb

(opps now I need an H)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #140
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
You must have missed the term "karma whore". It was used at least once in this discussion..
I really don't get the reference nor did I see it in any posts. If you are refering to me, I never even look at the whole Karma thing.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #141
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post

See...that's the thing I don't get. I haven't noticed any posts where the poster said that "silliness" was bad. I have stated numerous times that I liked to read the postings in the Lounge but just didn't feel comfortable jumping in. I took the original discussion to say that they would just like a place where they could keep to the discussion at hand.

Kaz
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #142
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I really don't get the reference nor did I see it in any posts. If you are refering to me, I never even look at the whole Karma thing.

Kaz
I went looking for the term. I must have mixed up a couple different threads becuase the one person who likes to use it didn't actually use it in this discussion. My mistake.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sea...archid=1829579
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #143
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
I went looking for the term. I must have mixed up a couple different threads becuase the one person who likes to use it didn't actually use it in this discussion. My mistake.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sea...archid=1829579
Shew...Thanks! I was worried for a minute there!
Kaz
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #144
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'll keep my H, because I think it is pretty. Ravenne made it. And I'm one of the guiltier hijackers, so I've earned my scarlet letter.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #145
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
See...that's the thing I don't get. I haven't noticed any posts where the poster said that "silliness" was bad.
One example, from post 12, "I-have-to-much-time-on-my-hands-and-nothing-usefull-to-do-so-I-will-post-something-silly" was a bit derogatory imho.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #146
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I don't think anyone is trying to be authoritarian or dictatorial.

I am sorry to see all the red "H"'s, though. I've bragged to my college-aged kids about how considerate and caring the posters to MobileRead are and I feel like the "H"'s are causing divisiveness and hard feelings.
Kaz
The "H"'s are causing divisiveness and hard feelings?

How about insisting on a separate place to "discuss serious things without having to wade thru silliness", when a simple request to "keep it on topic" might do the same thing? "
Had anyone even thought about doing that?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #147
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I still do that. Guess I am either old or lame.

BOb

(opps now I need an H)
Well Lame is another good L word. An H is harder to make.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #148
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I'll keep my H, because I think it is pretty. Ravenne made it. And I'm one of the guiltier hijackers, so I've earned my scarlet letter.
-> I agree with your avatar. It is pretty, but I don't agree with the whole hijacking thing. If you were in the Lounge, going off topic in that way is to be expected and not something to be condemned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
One example, from post 12, "I-have-to-much-time-on-my-hands-and-nothing-usefull-to-do-so-I-will-post-something-silly" was a bit derogatory imho.
-> I guess I missed that one. There is never a good reason to be derogatory when you are trying to make a point. If a point is valid, it should stand on it's own merit.

Kaz
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #149
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The "H"'s are causing divisiveness and hard feelings?

How about insisting on a separate place to "discuss serious things without having to wade thru silliness", when a simple request to "keep it on topic" might do the same thing? "
Had anyone even thought about doing that?
Perhaps the original and subsequent posters didn't want to stifle the flow of words within the Lounge thread. I would much rather start a serious discussion in a thread designed for that rather than try to censor the posts of others in a forum thread that was more free flowing.

Kaz
Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #150
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Wear it with pride.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote