Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Kindle Fire HDs bought - However?

I want to make sure when the girlies open their Kindles, on Christmas, that they don't have to wait for 6 hours until charged up and they can just GO!

I planned on opening them up and charging and download apps, books etc etc to them and repackaging.

However I'm concerned they may notice it has already been opened etc. Does anyone know if it is just a case of sliding it out of it's box or is it an Amazon rip tab?

I'm excited myself and I'm not even getting one
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
It's a rip tab, but mines came almost charged and ready to go. You'll have to let it connect to the internet for activation but it should already be set up to your account. Depending on the age of your girls you may want to set up freetime and parental controls but other than that they should be good to go.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Channel your inner MacGuyver and do some intricate cutting on the bottom to slide it out, do your preparations, and reseal the box. Maybe they won't even know any difference, and think that Amazon is full of psychics since some stuff they wanted was already on it.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Channel your inner MacGuyver and do some intricate cutting on the bottom to slide it out, do your preparations, and reseal the box. Maybe they won't even know any difference, and think that Amazon is full of psychics since some stuff they wanted was already on it.
That was going to be my suggestion as well.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Open them & check them out! Dont let them be dissapointed with broken KF-HDs I got a Nook ... my 1st ereaders @ Christmas.. was my gift to me LOL Any way not only was mine broken Thousands were complaining in the B&N Forum theirs were too! Kindles are 100% better but dont take the chance. Check them out!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do my 'MacGuyver' bit. What I'd like to do is to install Skype, Netflix, place their names on and a film, few pictures and books etc to start them off straight away on Christmas morning without having to wait for a 'Charge' and not hanging around as we set it up to the web and Skype etc.

I've created them both an account on Amazon so they can download the free books themselves.

Initially my middle daughter (who currently has a K4NT) was attached to my account which lead to issues where she downloaded the free book and it took it off my Kindle (K4NT) so I think their own Amazon account will grant them each Cloud space and keep it all separate
Old 11-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Skype is already on them LOL Now IF I could just figure out How to use it ugh
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I agree, check them out, make sure they are charged and ready to go. Even if they notice that the box has been opened, will they really care if the device is all set up and ready to play with?

Gave hubby a Galaxy Player last year, and while I didn't set up a Google account for him, otherwise it was ready to use. Screen protector installed, memory card installed, charged up, TPU gel case on. He really appreciated being able to just PLAY with his new gadget without any fuss!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
One thing to consider is that the Kindle Fire comes with a free month of Amazon Prime (free Prime-eligible movies, one book borrow per month, and free two-day shipping) for customers who have not used Prime instant videos over the previous year. This free trial period begins automatically when you first activate the Kindle Fire, so if you do that before Christmas, the Prime countdown clock will have started ticking. If that matters to you, you may want to wait and activate just a few days before the gift is given.

More info: Amazon Prime and Kindle Fire
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

You can enjoy Prime Now even without KF! Just sign up for the free trail & stream movies thru your TV They only allow 1 month Free Trail per Household! & just think of the Shipping you save NOW! Go Wild for Christmas LOL No Ship Fees LOL I used mine in Feb so even tho I just got the Fire I dont get free Prime
Old 11-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
One thing to consider is that the Kindle Fire comes with a free month of Amazon Prime (free Prime-eligible movies, one book borrow per month, and free two-day shipping) for customers who have not used Prime instant videos over the previous year.
I missed it by 11 days.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
I want to make sure when the girlies open their Kindles, on Christmas, that they don't have to wait for 6 hours until charged up and they can just GO!

I planned on opening them up and charging and download apps, books etc etc to them and repackaging.

However I'm concerned they may notice it has already been opened etc. Does anyone know if it is just a case of sliding it out of it's box or is it an Amazon rip tab?

I'm excited myself and I'm not even getting one
I got my girls a New Fire 2 (non-HD) for Christmas. I had to open it to start setting it up for them. It was over half charged, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe you can slip a knife into the seal on the end of the box and open it that way, instead of using the tear strip?

I didn't bother....I ripped it open first chance I got! I still have to set up Netflix, etc. But I have the free time set up and some apps. It's nice. I'd get a 2nd one if Amazon would run the sale again. ($129)

Last edited by booklover6; 11-18-2012 at 01:34 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Right. Reading all these comments I'll just tear the strip. I considered craft knifing it but I'm in fear of doing damage.

The jolly fatman in red is getting no credit for these Kindles. The girls have been told that Mum/Dad and Grandma/Grandad are buying the big present and sending it to Father Christmas to deliver.

For Amazon Prime, all be it lovely all the Christmas shopping is now done so, all be it lovely, I don't need to take advantage of it.

I've set the girls up

- Google (Gmail) account (Had to fib about their DOB)
- Amazon Account so they have their own free books to pick.
- Skype Account (again fibbed about their DOB)

I want to make it as smooth as possible when they turn them on

Now can I ask another question here or would people prefer me to start a new thread?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I have similar situation. Friend has asked me to setup new KFHD for her daughter. I have used my Amazon account for now, then will de-register it.

What are the MUST HAVE basic apps for a young person (13 yrs, non-techie). I've started with a couple of games, ES Fie Explorer. Now am thinking about MX Player for videos, Mandano reader for non-mobi files and WiFi file explorer for easy file xfer.

I'll set up a new Amazon account for her with her parents when I return the kindle. Superb screen!

Any other recommendations?
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Once you DeReg it all those Apps will vanish! ...Why are you using Your Account? Use Theirs ...so the Warrenty wont look like its USED!