Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Randomfish
Randomfish began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Has anyone else gotten the Tablet Upgrade Error?

I've been trying to setup my Kobo Vox since yesterday, and I keep hitting the same error during setup. I connect to my wireless (which is working fine), and click Next.

It says it's going to check for updates, finds one, and then when trying to download it, I get the error message:

"An error occurred during image download"

After I click the Close button on that error message, it re-tries twice more before I get the final error: "Tablet Upgrade Error".

I'm really frustrated, and can't find anything online about the error. I've opened a ticket with Kobo, but they say it can be up to 48 hours before they respond... I had wanted to take it on my trip tomorrow.
Randomfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you bought it locally, return it! You might want to try doing the update on some other WiFi connection, first. But I would get a replacement for it, if the problems doesn't just go away.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
jonesrichardm
jonesrichardm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo Vox set up error

Yep, I'm having the same problem and have tried two different wireless networks with the same result. I have also logged a question with online support and awaiting a reply.

Are you using your wireless connection at home? I wondered whether I was having problems because I was using a paid-for wi-fi connection at a hotel I'm staying at.
jonesrichardm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
We see this problem only when the wifi connection is weak or intermittent, or when using access points that have too many current connections (like public AP, hotels, workplaces). My best suggestion is to keep trying, or find a different wifi connection. The good thing is that the download will pick up where it left off, so eventually you'll get it it.

Hope that help,
James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

If you continue to have trouble and need this for your trip tomorrow, PM me. I can help get you up and running quicker.

James
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
or call the 1-800 #. the response was fast when i called today.
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Randomfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrichardm View Post
Yep, I'm having the same problem and have tried two different wireless networks with the same result. I have also logged a question with online support and awaiting a reply.

Are you using your wireless connection at home? I wondered whether I was having problems because I was using a paid-for wi-fi connection at a hotel I'm staying at.
I'm using my home wireless connection, and haven't had any trouble using it with either the laptop or the Kobo Touch.... it's very strange. Will be trying it on a different wireless connection tomorrow I guess!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Randomfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
We see this problem only when the wifi connection is weak or intermittent, or when using access points that have too many current connections (like public AP, hotels, workplaces). My best suggestion is to keep trying, or find a different wifi connection. The good thing is that the download will pick up where it left off, so eventually you'll get it it.

Hope that help,
James

Thanks; I will try on a different wireless connection tomorrow, but I have not had any issues with this WiFi connection when using my laptop or the Kobo Touch over the last three days... I would be a little surprised if that was the problem, but you never know!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
marcusP
marcusP began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
I am having the same problem. I had to use a neighbour's unsecured wireless (: because the kobo vox software wouldn't accept the password I use for my home network (it seems it won't accept a 7 character password? But that's the one I have!!!).

Anyone have an idea around it besides resetting my home wireless password? Grrrr.

I hate having something for 2 hours and I am still not able to get past the first screen!!! Grrrr.

all help would be appreciated.
marcusP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
Randomfish

Success! Wireless on the second bus of the day was apparently more to it's liking, strangely enough! Reading is lovely, and I've had no problem accesing email or webages so far
Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

Randomfish - glad to hear it has worked out. We are finding that the upgrade download just doesn't like some network connections. We're looking into it. We think it is related to the speed of the connection, but not sure yet. Fortunately, it is usually just a matter of keeping at it.

MarcusP - I'm sorry for your frustration. I'm not sure the best way to change you network password, and if you're using a weaker signal from a neighbour, this may well be why you are seeing the issue. If you are having continued trouble, the PM me and I'll provide you with an alternate solution to the upgrade.

James
Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@KoboJW; Are there any issues with the different forms of Wireless security? WPA / WPA2 / WEP etc... could this be MarcusP's issue?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

The setup app only supports WEP, WPA/WPA2 Personal. WPA/WPA Enterprise are not supported. Additionally, a shortcoming with WEP (not a Vox thing) is that it doesn't really tell you if connect failed - it simply doesn't connect you. So if, for example, you put in the wrong password, you get no feedback. Another shortcoming of the set up wifi connection is that you can't connect to hotspots requiring login through a web browser (eg hotel wifi). And has been noticed, any hotspots filtering by MAC address will be problematic too.

MarcusP: can you confirm which security your network uses? Can't be WEP, because it uses 5 or 10 char. Maybe it is one we don't support...?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Annibronte
Enthusiast
Annibronte has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3,Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Another shortcoming of the set up wifi connection is that you can't connect to hotspots requiring login through a web browser (eg hotel wifi). And has been noticed, any hotspots filtering by MAC address will be problematic too.
Sounds like I won't be able to use the wifi at Starbucks, if this is the case. That's probably going to be a deal breaker for people if it can't be resolved.
Annibronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibronte View Post
Sounds like I won't be able to use the wifi at Starbucks, if this is the case. That's probably going to be a deal breaker for people if it can't be resolved.
I think he means wifi during the setup process.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote